The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138529

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

CM tonight with a trip to the Bike Winter art show. Despite the short CM, good times.

Two swimmers around 1:00 this afternoon.

Holy smokes the water temp is freaking 33.1 F.

Can you imagine a blog for creatures who swim?

I swam today.  Did you?

Nice catch Gene.

No need to image.  Open water chicago has swim reports with pictures and video.  They've been swimming in the lake for over a month so far.

Steel Driver said:

I swam today.  Did you?

Nice catch Gene.

The Open Water gang is most impressive.  Hats off to these motivated guys and gals.  Thanks for sharing S.  

Nice crispy night. Thank heavens for those hand warmers..

OMG.   I'm assuming they have some serious gear for this.  Dry suit?

S said:

No need to image.  Open water chicago has swim reports with pictures and video.  They've been swimming in the lake for over a month so far.

Steel Driver said:

I swam today.  Did you?

Nice catch Gene.

The post on gear indicates that they use a regular swimsuit under a triathlon wetsuit combined with gloves, booties, and a hood.  That apparently works for 20-40 min swims.  Scuba dry suits won't work because they're not cut right for swimming where you need a lot more freedom of movement for your arms than you need for scuba diving.

James BlackHeron said:

OMG.   I'm assuming they have some serious gear for this.  Dry suit?

Yeah, it just illustrates how regardless of how tough you think you are there's always someone out there that's doing thinks a lot more hardcore than you are.

Steel Driver said:

The Open Water gang is most impressive.  Hats off to these motivated guys and gals.  Thanks for sharing S.  

All the more impressive!

Seriously.  I hate being cold but I can take it for short periods better than other people can.  I felt that CCM was pleasantly comfortable last Friday when I heard others grumbling about it.   I was only wearing silk longs with cotton trousers on the bottom,  Silk longs with a cotton long sleeve shirt and a thin wool mid layer over that and a rain shell over that.  I have more layers than that I could wear but I felt it was comfortable as long as I was moving.   It's been so warm lately that I've really yet to pull out everything from my closet arsenal to ride this year.   I haven't even put on my carhardt bib lowers when outside clearing the few minor snow storms this year.  Good gear makes the cold bearable even when I hate it.  Working in construction I've worked a few winters outside on a cold-windy deck of a high-rise going up.  Still hate being cold though!

But there is NO WAY I'd be able to keep warm in the 33-degree water without a dry suit!  I'm not much of a water person though.  I don't swim much and only snorkel occasionally when on vacation. 

Anybody ever see those Russian Ladies that swim at Rogers park in this weather?
Oh and I rode yesterday and today. So far the wind has been in the opposite direction of my travel. Ugh!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service