The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is the best I've found: http://www.sportsworldchicago.com/category/a_cubworld_cam/

Tony Adams said:

Occasionally I think it would be useful to have a street cam, as the streets are rarely as bad as one might think if one just listens to the sensational weather reports on the radio or tv. But it seems we already have a street cam named Gene! 

At 9:25 this morning, I saw a CDOT mini-plow westbound on Kinzie at Canal. I was eastbound on what appeared to have been freshly-plowed protected bike lane. 

Derek said:

Was bone dry till I hit the Kedzie protected lane and it's 2+ inches of slush... instantly soaked.  But that's what spare clothes at work are for.

my recently re-waterproofed ski pants failed me today. but much like derek - i keep spare clothes at work.

CDOT waiting until after rush hour to do anything to the protected bike lane...no surprise there...

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt here and say plowing of streets (and protected bike lanes) is easier, more timely, and more effective when the snow isn't falling DURING peak traffic times.

122782_ said:

CDOT waiting until after rush hour to do anything to the protected bike lane...no surprise there...

Agreed, although conditions can vary so much from one part of the city to amother, we'll have to convince him to do a north/south/west side circuit each day.

'round here there's some snow on roofs, cars, and grassy areas but almost nothing stuck to streets and sidewalks.

Tony Adams said:

Occasionally I think it would be useful to have a street cam, as the streets are rarely as bad as one might think if one just listens to the sensational weather reports on the radio or tv. But it seems we already have a street cam named Gene! 

I'll admit it's an improvement that they actually did something same-day.  The last two times we've gotten more than an inch or two of snow, the Kinzie lane wasn't touched for a day or more.

Kevin C said:

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt here and say plowing of streets (and protected bike lanes) is easier, more timely, and more effective when the snow isn't falling DURING peak traffic times.

122782_ said:

I did! But first, I had to play dog taxi driver. That was necessary, but not particularly fun. Fortunately, I  managed to get in 2.25 miles of face cracking headwind followed by a joyous 2.25 miles of pure tailwind bliss. It's not enough for me, but better than nothing. Happy Friday! 

Rode in to work today around 9am. no problems. The sun even tried to come out.

The LFP was plowed and salted better then the side streets

On Thursdays and Fridays I work "early" start at 10am so I drop the kids off at school and leave the van for my wife. Then when she is done with work she rides to the kids school and does pick up.

LFP all clean at 9am

Coming home at 6pm was fine.. strong wind out of the west

i like those pics.  and i think the temp dropped like 10 degrees between 4-5 pm today.

It was kind of an adventure in the snow

Ndiyo

Yes it's lifted from Howard, He wasn't using it today!  ; ) 

The A.M. was as MK states.  Squirrely gusts on the P.M.  There's standing water all over as of 8:00 P.M. so the temps are still above freezing.  Bless you Canada.  Like you, I have a salty dog too needing a wash and lube.  

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service