Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138964

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Andy Moss 9.5 said:

Right!  And fat bikes are probably selling at a premium in the region!

As much as I love bikes, I think the folks in Buffalo probably skipped right over fat bikes and went straight to dog sleds and snowmobiles.

Pretty nasty out there into the wind, but not  as bad as Tuesday. 

Yeah the more moderate temps made the wind a little more bearable, however the wind sucks it big time.  I have a zig zag ride that either has me going into the wind and then going with it, problem is all the speed I gain going with it is scrubbed the second I turned in a northerly direction.

The wind has sucked, but my tired legs (and weather app) assure me that it's not coming "from the south."

Fortunately, we'll get wind from the south tomorrow to blow this cold front away.

People who ride East have had a pretty lucky week.

But we have to ride west to go home. :-(

David of the North (David606xx) said:

Ymmv, but as someone who has been riding west and south in the am and east and north in the pm this week, I'm happier hitting the wind in the when fresh and catching the extra push on the way home.

Lisa Curcio 4.1mi said:

But we have to ride west to go home. :-(

David of the North (David606xx) said:

Hurt notably less compared to yesterday. 

I wonder of the calories I burn what % is for locomotion and what % to maintain body temperature. 

If the heat produced by your muscles pedaling your bike isn't enough and you aren't well insulated, eventually you lose enough heat that your body shivers to produce more heat. The cold, your exposure to it, and the duration of your exposure determines whether this will happen.

rwein5 said:

has absolutely nothing to do with external temperature.

Not much wind out there today, so just a sunny ride in the cold.  It's supposed to be a balmy 30 for the ride home.

I interpreted Haddon's statement and your response to suggest that muscular activity is so wildly inefficient that you couldn't get cold while riding. Which we all know you can. My apologies that my response was, at best, tangential to the subject.

I Love hearing the stories of hardy folks riding in the cold.  It's inspirational and got me onthe bike earlier than I would otherwise!  Today I rode for the first time in a week and have all you to thank for it (Of course I wimped out and waited for the day with the lowest winds).  Thanks all!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service