The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 137195

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes but it was uncomfortable. My DIY hand warmers (microwaved uncooked rice in small cloth pouches, since I'm all out of legit hand warmers) helped my hands but my toes were numb by the time I walked into the office building.

Ski goggles also froze over after about ten minutes.

If you are a pet owner, you simply know what your pet is thinking by the way he interacts with you, right? You end up vocalizing his thoughts, even though those thoughts are more what you would think if you were a pet.  Similar with chickens. When I say they are a bit grumpy, I really mean that if I were a chicken I would be grumpy this morning, after spending the night in a 17 degrees coop. I just interpreted their clucking and shaking of their feathers that they were grumpy.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

I'm not riding today, so I guess I can discuss chickens instead. How does one tell if a chicken is grumpy?

Duppie said:

Ours are fine, if a bit grumpy.

1-7-14 Bike Commute: -7 Degrees and -30 Wind Chill 1 Minute Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VmKP4Iqc-k&feature=c4-overview...

I did not ride yesterday because the windchill was hovering at about -45 and I thought, that's just crazy. I didn't need to be in the office for anything, so I just worked from home.  I walked around in it for about 20 minutes and decided that -45 windchill does in fact feel qualitatively different than -25 windchill. 

So when I saw that today's forecast was for not less than -30 windchill, I jumped at the chance. That and the fact I needed to be in the Loop for something at 9:30. I have a comparatively short commute of only 4 miles each way.

It still feels really cold. I was pretty well covered up, but one errant breath resulted in my sunglasses completely fogging over and freezing. When my nose went from being uncomfortable to comfortable, I didn't know if this was the result of increased capillary action or if it had in fact turned black and fallen off (it didn't). My hands stayed comfortable with snowmobile gloves and pogies. Zip ties securing a basket to my rear rack became brittle enough to break. Small bits of snow on the road are as hard as granite. I hope my bike is fit for the ride home. 

Gene--looks very pretty.  Thanks for sharing.  I am still not riding.  Found my threshhold, I guess. 

The zip ties holding my cycle computer broke this morning. Pretty ride though.

Kevin C said:

I did not ride yesterday because the windchill was hovering at about -45 and I thought, that's just crazy. I didn't need to be in the office for anything, so I just worked from home.  I walked around in it for about 20 minutes and decided that -45 windchill does in fact feel qualitatively different than -25 windchill. 

So when I saw that today's forecast was for not less than -30 windchill, I jumped at the chance. That and the fact I needed to be in the Loop for something at 9:30. I have a comparatively short commute of only 4 miles each way.

It still feels really cold. I was pretty well covered up, but one errant breath resulted in my sunglasses completely fogging over and freezing. When my nose went from being uncomfortable to comfortable, I didn't know if this was the result of increased capillary action or if it had in fact turned black and fallen off (it didn't). My hands stayed comfortable with snowmobile gloves and pogies. Zip ties securing a basket to my rear rack became brittle enough to break. Small bits of snow on the road are as hard as granite. I hope my bike is fit for the ride home. 

My short recreational ride was aborted when I sneezed inside my balaclava.

+1 QOTW. Even my non-bikie wife laughed. :-)

Jennifer on the lake said:

My short recreational ride was aborted when I sneezed inside my balaclava.

I've been inside my apartment since Sunday night. Took the bus today and saw several cyclists out and about. Going to ride tomorrow since my commute is only 3 miles.

Saw two other riders today when I was heading south from Evanston. Nods and thumbs up. I love that cyclists acknowledge and support each other in such simple ways.
I dressed well for today's ride. Even hands and feet were warm.

Rode this morning.  my goggles fogged over and my freewheel froze up about fifteen times.  Still it was fun and refreshing.  A nice lady offered me a ride but I declined.  Thanks but I actually enjoy this!

Very happy I got to ride this morning. Contacts + ski goggles, balaclava, several layers of wool and heated gloves worked really well. Only real problem was that the goggles fogged while putting all my stuff on the bike inside the house, so I had to clear them after walking the bike to a clear patch of road (it's rutty, stacked chaos just after my sidewalk). Oh, the chem-pack heated insoles didn't keep my feet warm either. Toes chilly but OK. Maybe having two layers of wool socks on kept the heat away from my feet.

RSS

Groups

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service