The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

 

Views: 137177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

+1

Steel Driver said:

Փոխանցել



Heh.  I was one of those.   I rode down to the cultural center this afternoon in shorts and sandals.  Sorry for the cringe factor.

I hit that "pneumonia front" on the way back though.  I swear the temperature dropped 20 degrees in 30 seconds.  It was completely bizarre.  I got off the path at 31st and wandered over to Halsted and it was back in the 70s again.   Weather is so strange this year. 



Steel Driver said:

Weather head fake today.  Bike juice (sweat) on the way in.  Not so much coming home.  Did see people on the P.M. in shorts, short sleeves and tank tops.  They were making me cringe actually.

The pneumonia front thing happens once or twice a year.  I've run into it last year as well.  But yeah, it's apparently specific to this area since it needs cold water and warm air and certain geographical features.  Lucky us.

David said:

Heh.  I was one of those.   I rode down to the cultural center this afternoon in shorts and sandals.  Sorry for the cringe factor.

I hit that "pneumonia front" on the way back though.  I swear the temperature dropped 20 degrees in 30 seconds.  It was completely bizarre.  I got off the path at 31st and wandered over to Halsted and it was back in the 70s again.   Weather is so strange this year. 



Steel Driver said:

Weather head fake today.  Bike juice (sweat) on the way in.  Not so much coming home.  Did see people on the P.M. in shorts, short sleeves and tank tops.  They were making me cringe actually.

The temp change was SO dramatic on our team ride, but it warmed back up on the way home. Then the front made it to the city. I have had headwinds change directions from morning to evening commute but I have never had them change mid ride like this before. When we started home from Highland park we had a nice tailwind, before we got into Evanston it was a headwind. My garmin tracks the temp as well as other info.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/158334498

It is nice once in a while to be reminded that as cyclists we experience our world directly and immediately during our rides - not insulated by the glass and metal cage of a motor vehicle.

 

Still, it was a bit of a shock to round the corner to go east on Fullerton to the path.

I did the same on Fullerton yesterday and thought I had entered a time warp into the ice age.

Steve Courtright said:

It is nice once in a while to be reminded that as cyclists we experience our world directly and immediately during our rides - not insulated by the glass and metal cage of a motor vehicle.

 

Still, it was a bit of a shock to round the corner to go east on Fullerton to the path.

Michael, this is one of those times where the "average temperature" data makes no sense!  I'm getting an Edge 800 in the mail in a few days, so I really enjoyed the preview of the data presentation in your link.

Michael A said:

The temp change was SO dramatic on our team ride, but it warmed back up on the way home. Then the front made it to the city. I have had headwinds change directions from morning to evening commute but I have never had them change mid ride like this before. When we started home from Highland park we had a nice tailwind, before we got into Evanston it was a headwind. My garmin tracks the temp as well as other info.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/158334498

Oh my god. I heard the best snarky line on the way home tonite. Coming up to Lincoln and Wilson there was a dad in the street on a bike with two kids on their bikes on the sidewalk. We were all going the same way up Lincoln and I got there just in time for the light to go green, but not before I heard a woman with a stroller walk up on Wilson and say "Is this a walkway or a BLOCKway?". The sheer level of entitlement in this woman's voice made me laugh the rest of the way home. Just a great line.

Have a safe St. Patty's everyone!

Mama said there'll be days like this,
There'll be days like this Mama said
(Mama said, mama said)
Mama said there'll be days like this,
There'll be days like this my Mama said
(Mama said, mama said)

Click on the link to see an amazing evening of photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101553691812842991596/LakefrontSunsetP...

Beautiful!


Gene Tenner said:

Mama said there'll be days like this,
There'll be days like this Mama said
(Mama said, mama said)
Mama said there'll be days like this,
There'll be days like this my Mama said
(Mama said, mama said)

Click on the link to see an amazing evening of photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101553691812842991596/LakefrontSunsetP...

My 3 favorite from tonight's extravaganza:

Iva


Great sky show capture.  Since it's Chicago, I'm voting for candidates, I mean pics, 221,254,257.           M A G I C !   ; )

RSS

Groups

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service