The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

 

Views: 137262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agreed!  Rode with my face uncovered and enjoyed all the fresh warm(er) air.  Saw at least a dozen other bikers!

Joe Muldoon said:

It's downright balmy this morning--enjoy your rides!

Thanks for the suggestion! They certainly are cheaper and its nice to hear that they are working for you.

 


As for hand warmers, I've considered those but I don't know much about them. How do they work? Would they be cumbersome? I do need to be able to do things with my hands. I have to take my trailer off and on my bike and lock everything - it all requires the use of fingers.

 

Riding today wasn't bad, just mucky from all the slush. I still haven't gotten fenders - I really need to do that!

 

H3N3 said:

I seem to be doing fine with these gloves I bought at REI.  Have not had one incident of cold hands in the ~ 2 weeks I've had them.

 

A little cheaper than the Lobsters.



Sarah Graff said:

I rode today and it was really enjoyable. My hands were still cold despite the layers so I am seriously considering the lobster gloves.

 

 

Sarah--I got these at REI. Yes, I do have to take them off to do anything, but I can comfortably brake and my hands aren't cold. Be sure your glove is kinda loose, too. Anything too tight will definitely make your hands cold faster.


My problem? BOOTS. Mine are terrible because they don't seem to be as waterproof as advertised.
Sarah Graff said:

I rode today and it was really enjoyable. My hands were still cold despite the layers so I am seriously considering the lobster gloves.

 

 

They're not for everyone, but today was the first day in 6 I rode without Pogie's. I went the cheap route from Cabela's. Very warm with a thin liner glove, and this design only works on a straight bar.

Sarah Graff said:

Thanks for the suggestion! They certainly are cheaper and its nice to hear that they are working for you.

 


As for hand warmers, I've considered those but I don't know much about them. How do they work? Would they be cumbersome? I do need to be able to do things with my hands. I have to take my trailer off and on my bike and lock everything - it all requires the use of fingers.

 

Riding today wasn't bad, just mucky from all the slush. I still haven't gotten fenders - I really need to do that!

 

H3N3 said:

I seem to be doing fine with these gloves I bought at REI.  Have not had one incident of cold hands in the ~ 2 weeks I've had them.

 

A little cheaper than the Lobsters.



Sarah Graff said:

I rode today and it was really enjoyable. My hands were still cold despite the layers so I am seriously considering the lobster gloves.

 

 

let me know if you do.  Maybe we can finally take that photo!

Barbra Mann said:

You all inspire me.  A case of a cold, and the snow, and the vision of the Damen Ave. bike lane, and the recent fall have all got me scared and silly this week. Gonna try for tomorow biking to work.  I was on such a roll last week! Keep up the good work, friends.

Today, of course, is offically warmer, but . . . it's cloudy, dump and a bit windier, and overall much less pleasant.

Overdressed again. Butt and legs cold, torso was an inferno.

I prefer sunny days to the gray skies, but at least there wasn't any glare.

 

It was a nice one out there today.  Did not even need to wear wool baselayers under my Filson whipcord wool pants.

All week, baby!

Filson pants--awesome. I wish I was flush with cash. I'd love to have a pair of those things. And many other things from Filson.

Scott said:

It was a nice one out there today.  Did not even need to wear wool baselayers under my Filson whipcord wool pants.

That is exactly how I gear up to stay warm. I must say, I have seriously scared a few, made some laugh, and mostly get curious looks and a few ugly stares. Because of my all red color clothing and semi mirrored lenses, I have been called Spiderman a few times. LOL

Serge Lubomudrov said:

Yes, I did!

 

Boo!

 

 

I walked my dog this morning and thought "Man! It is cold today!" He's a Husky! He seemed cold, too.

It was about 12 outside. I've been spoiled by the mid-twenties this week. Fortunately, I get to ride in the afternoon when it's warmer. I am really impressed with all of you who are riding so early in the morning when it's cold, cold, cold.

RSS

Groups

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service