The Chainlink

I just missed the press conference and just hung out at lunch to see how it would all work. It seemed easy enough, so I took Dearborn as my starting route home to Roscoe Village. Normally I hit Franklin to Orleans then north to Lincoln.

I have to say, it was pretty easy and relatively safe. The ambassadors were helpful with the the auto traffic. The walkers were easy enough to avoid. I had to chuckle at two riders riding side by side in the lane.

What I didn't see was any oncoming traffic; southbound riders. I am guessing that will come in time or at other times during the day.

Way to go Mayor RE! This is really making a statement.

Who else rode the new path?

Views: 17629

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At the opening press conference we were told that the intention was to erect concrete barriers in place of the plastic bollards at some point in the future.  No time line was given.

Skip Montanaro said:

I thought one of the responses to this thread early on indicated that eventually there would be concrete separators of some sort between the bike lane and the parking.  Did I misread/misremember?

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

In other areas, the southbound traffic would probably have to try to go around in the parking lanes.

Thanks.  Depending on their size and placement, they might make evasive maneuvers difficult...

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

At the opening press conference we were told that the intention was to erect concrete barriers in place of the plastic bollards at some point in the future.  No time line was given.

Have we discussed a polite way to inform pedestrians they are standing in the bike lane? 

I currently yell "Bike Lane" or "Bike" as I get closer to them. (I have bells on my other two bikes, but the handlebar is too thick to swap to this bike and ringing the bell doesn't always work either.) 

If this is a problem now, I can't image the mess when all those who don't bike in the winter come out to play. 

While I commute to Evanston, I've discovered that appending a 'have a good morning' to any 'bike passing' or 'on your left' eases that brief transaction. I may be over thinking it but every interaction between a cyclist and non-cyclist has the potential to alter the non-cyclist's opinion for better or worse. I'd prefer to win an allies than 'win' an argument with a person I'll never see again.

I've had good results with my bell. It makes such a happy little sound that it does not seem to inspire any anger. This morning, a guy walking his dog in the northbound lane responded "my bad".

Jenn_5.5 mi said:

Have we discussed a polite way to inform pedestrians they are standing in the bike lane? 

I currently yell "Bike Lane" or "Bike" as I get closer to them. (I have bells on my other two bikes, but the handlebar is too thick to swap to this bike and ringing the bell doesn't always work either.) 

If this is a problem now, I can't image the mess when all those who don't bike in the winter come out to play. 

I've tried using my bell, but it rarely works. I'll keep ringing it and end up having to yell because the person doesn't respond to the bell.

Timely questions/answers about alert.  I don't think there is a great way to alert obstructing pedestrians.  Just about anything you do will be a bit annoying.

I rode the Dearborn path for the second time today (rode in with a friend whose office is at Dearborn and Adams).  As I approached one intersection (we had the green) a pedestrian was standing in the bike lane at the crosswalk on the far side of the intersection.  I wear Bar Mitts, so bells are not an option.  I slowed down a bit (just in case) and whistled to get his attention.  He saw me and backed up onto the curb.  I thanked him as I went by.  I think that's about the best you can do.

I wanted to point out one other thing.  The textured plates still not installed on the bridge.  (When is that supposed to happen?)  Just before the bridge, a street sweeper had gone by recently, leaving the usual schmutz and water on the road surface.  Some of that transferred to my tires, making travel over the steel grate bridge especially squirrely.  Let's be careful out there, folks...

The plates are not installed and the sawhorses have been removed as well. I have not seen anyone try to drive in the bike lane over the bridge yet, but I still find it a bit odd that there is nothing marking off the bike lane at all.

I also found the bridge a bit slippery this morning, especially where the grate switches from a grid to an X pattern. I find that the latter channels my tire more.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

I wanted to point out one other thing.  The textured plates still not installed on the bridge.  (When is that supposed to happen?)  Just before the bridge, a street sweeper had gone by recently, leaving the usual schmutz and water on the road surface.  Some of that transferred to my tires, making travel over the steel grate bridge especially squirrely.  Let's be careful out there, folks...

I agree with Richard and Skip. I usually slow down, smile, and say "excuse me" followed by "thanks!" Southern politeness? Someone did get pissed at me for saying "ma'am." Maybe a happy-day appendage is something I could consider.

Regardless of one's personal approach with pedestrians, the reality is this is the most visible lane in the city and there will always be pedestrians who don't realize they're standing or walking in it. Even if the "locals" get it there will always tourists. 

For me personally I've accepted that this is will be a cruising lane (maybe even a safe one!) not a speeding lane like parts of LFT. I take Desplaines in the morning since I'm always running late for work but have really enjoyed riding north on DBL to Madison in the evening.

Not to sound too idealistic but a few coworkers have asked me what it's like and if I thought they could ride it as a beginner bike commuter. The lane is far from perfect by any means, but it is a place to set a positive example to those toying with the idea of biking to work when it's warm again. Hope pedestrians will set positive example as well.

Pedestrians:  I ride pretty slowly and as I approach I just say "Excuse me, please".  Have not had anyone not move back.  Then I say "Thank you".  People will learn, but, as maryrachel says, there will always be tourists.  The plates--I do wish they would arrive.  Heading southbound in the morning is particularlyl bad since it is downhill (a Chicago hill, of course) and I hate having to brake on the steel part.

<-LOOK->

Those LOOK signs seems to help a bit, but I still had to yell at a few people this morning who were standing in the bike lane. Unfortunately, they were wearing earphones and didn't hear me until I was a few feet away. :-/

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service