The Chainlink

I just missed the press conference and just hung out at lunch to see how it would all work. It seemed easy enough, so I took Dearborn as my starting route home to Roscoe Village. Normally I hit Franklin to Orleans then north to Lincoln.

I have to say, it was pretty easy and relatively safe. The ambassadors were helpful with the the auto traffic. The walkers were easy enough to avoid. I had to chuckle at two riders riding side by side in the lane.

What I didn't see was any oncoming traffic; southbound riders. I am guessing that will come in time or at other times during the day.

Way to go Mayor RE! This is really making a statement.

Who else rode the new path?

Views: 17629

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh that that was true.  Wouldn't it be great if cars went in and never came out? :-)

Anne Alt said:

That would be the Westin Hotel, which has always been a traffic black hole as far as I'm concerned.

like a car black hole!

or

car quick sand!

or

car eating monster!

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

Oh that that was true.  Wouldn't it be great if cars went in and never came out? :-)

Anne Alt said:

That would be the Westin Hotel, which has always been a traffic black hole as far as I'm concerned.

So yesterday was awesome.

Going home from work around 4:50. Up over the river, headed north, crest the little hill/bridge. Oh look! a car has turned RIGHT off Kinzie and is using the PBL as a northbound southbound automobile lane.

I actually stopped, put my foot down and just started clapping. Unbelievable.

So, Will, did the driver take a bow?

Took it this AM.  Happy it's right on the Tue/Thu farmer market locations.

Great way to get a nosh for breakfast.

Earlier this week, I had a friendly exchange on Dearborn with a pedestrian crossing in front of me, who happened to be John Kass. I pointed out to him that I was stopped at the red light. :) 

Did he respond? You spotted a dinosaur in the wild?!

Michelle Stenzel said:

Earlier this week, I had a friendly exchange on Dearborn with a pedestrian crossing in front of me, who happened to be John Kass. I pointed out to him that I was stopped at the red light. :) 

I saw some construction/engineering people checking out the area by the Kluczynski Federal Building that seems to flood every time it even drizzles when I rode by at lunch today. The lane is really starting to grow on me, but I'm struck by how common it is for pedestrians to just stand in the lane at every block or walk down it like it's a sidewalk.  

CDOT claims that the drainage problem will be fixed this year. As for the pedestrians, well, you can't fix stupid.

Yes, he responded, and then we had a nice Twitter exchange later, in which he said I "softened" him on his stance against the so-called Little Bike People. We'll see.

Will G - 10mi said:

Did he respond? You spotted a dinosaur in the wild?!

Michelle Stenzel said:

I drive and I walk and I bike (a lot), and I don't understand the conflict.  What is the big deal!  Chill out people!!  When I get beeped at while on my bike, it does nothing to change how I ride.  Sometimes when I am driving, a cyclist will do something arrogant and rude (some cyclists have an entitlement attitude) and it does nothing to change how I drive.  So give it up people.  We can all share the same space because there is plenty of room.

This morning Active Trans was filming in the Dearborn bike lane near Van Buren, but had a few volunteers riding very slowly in circles so they could get a better shot. Perhaps they should have picked a better time than morning rush hour to do this?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service