The Chainlink

I just missed the press conference and just hung out at lunch to see how it would all work. It seemed easy enough, so I took Dearborn as my starting route home to Roscoe Village. Normally I hit Franklin to Orleans then north to Lincoln.

I have to say, it was pretty easy and relatively safe. The ambassadors were helpful with the the auto traffic. The walkers were easy enough to avoid. I had to chuckle at two riders riding side by side in the lane.

What I didn't see was any oncoming traffic; southbound riders. I am guessing that will come in time or at other times during the day.

Way to go Mayor RE! This is really making a statement.

Who else rode the new path?

Views: 17627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Or you could just ride over it. What is it about six feet of grate? Keep your line, don't brake or accelerate and you'll be fine.

Or perhaps we could arrange to have someone hold your hand while you ride over it?

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

If that grate is indeed ventilation, then it won't be covered up, since that would defeat the purpose of the vent. Luckily, it is fairly easily avoidable.

Thanks to CPD for enforcing the rules... I spoke to the officer as a passed the truck and told him how my I 'hate' it, he agreed. And then I thanked him... Possibly too many times. 

*These construction crews have been in the area since the PBL went in (?)... You think they would know. Also, I found it odd that at least 20 men where just standing there watching. 

Happy Tuesday!!

Jenn, what time were you there?  They were moving material when I went by at about 7:55 but not parked in the PBL.

Lisa - I am not sure on the exact time and can't find a time stamp on my photo via my cell. My guess is between 7:25-7:35a.

The truck was not in the lane when I biked by this morning. I did notice that they left a small "ramp" made from rocks or something for the wheelbarrow in the southbound lane just before the bridge, so don't ride too close to the curb there if you're going South.

Otherwise, it was the usual pedestrians waiting in the lane for the walk signal, looking south, playing with their phones, and blissfully unaware that the PBL exists.

More like IGNORANTLY unaware waiting for their cab to pick them up in the bike lane.

Sue Clark said:

The truck was not in the lane when I biked by this morning. I did notice that they left a small "ramp" made from rocks or something for the wheelbarrow in the southbound lane just before the bridge, so don't ride too close to the curb there if you're going South.

Otherwise, it was the usual pedestrians waiting in the lane for the walk signal, looking south, playing with their phones, and blissfully unaware that the PBL exists.

Why can't we all just be friends!  It still surprises me every time its realized that drivers and pedestrians are so negative towards bikers.  Why can't we all just exist respectfully together.  May sound corny, but really people.

Finally.

Lets keep it comin Mayor!

With the weather getting better, there are more and more people riding Dearborn.  This morning there were three of us southbound stopped at lights at Wacker, Lake, and Randolph!  First time I have not been alone.

Yep, I am also seeing more people riding Dearborn. I also saw a cop make a left on a red arrow, and a woman who almost walked right into me because she didn't bother looking.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

With the weather getting better, there are more and more people riding Dearborn.  This morning there were three of us southbound stopped at lights at Wacker, Lake, and Randolph!  First time I have not been alone.

I'm seeing a lot more people riding Dearborn in the last few weeks, so I'm seeing groups of people waiting at lights sometimes. People aren't always seeing or paying attention to the left turn signals, and some peds insist on treating the bike lanes as a curb extension when they're impatient to cross, so we all need to be aware and sometimes speak up to stay safe.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

Agreed.  I literally had to yell into the woman's ear because she was about to step into me without looking.

Anne Alt said:

I'm seeing a lot more people riding Dearborn in the last few weeks, so I'm seeing groups of people waiting at lights sometimes. People aren't always seeing or paying attention to the left turn signals, and some peds insist on treating the bike lanes as a curb extension when they're impatient to cross, so we all need to be aware and sometimes speak up to stay safe.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service