The Chainlink

I just missed the press conference and just hung out at lunch to see how it would all work. It seemed easy enough, so I took Dearborn as my starting route home to Roscoe Village. Normally I hit Franklin to Orleans then north to Lincoln.

I have to say, it was pretty easy and relatively safe. The ambassadors were helpful with the the auto traffic. The walkers were easy enough to avoid. I had to chuckle at two riders riding side by side in the lane.

What I didn't see was any oncoming traffic; southbound riders. I am guessing that will come in time or at other times during the day.

Way to go Mayor RE! This is really making a statement.

Who else rode the new path?

Views: 17630

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What is that lane to the right of the SUV in that second picture... where the towncar is standing.  Is that a dropoff lane or a drving lane?

It is a parking lane and the cab stand lane.

Juan Primo said:

What is that lane to the right of the SUV in that second picture... where the towncar is standing.  Is that a dropoff lane or a drving lane?

Mr. Sysco was properly parked and unloading in the parking lane next to the bike lane this morning. YAY!

I sort of feel bad that the driver had to get a ticket in order to properly park, but it was nice to see him not in the lane this week.

You feel bad that he got a ticket for doing something illegal? I'm sure the company paid the ticket anyway.

Will G - 10mi said:

Mr. Sysco was properly parked and unloading in the parking lane next to the bike lane this morning. YAY!

I sort of feel bad that the driver had to get a ticket in order to properly park, but it was nice to see him not in the lane this week.

Yesterday I saw they nailed down four more plates.  It seems like a slow operation.

The plates look about a third complete as of this morning.

Facebook says they're using a barge to lock in the plates from underneath, too.

I don't recall having to lock in plates from the bottom when they installed on Clark and Kinzie.  Maybe these plates are slightly different?

Tricolor said:

Yesterday I saw they nailed down four more plates.  It seems like a slow operation.

Perhaps the plates on Clark and Kinzie are temporary until the Wells Street bridge is back in operation.

I thought the same thing about Clark, but not sure why Kinzie would be temporary?  Or maybe they did use a boat/barge for that PBL and I just never noticed?

Due to the Wells Street bridge project, I suspect the use of barges for the Dearborn plate installation has something to do with their ready availability. 

blair_ said:

I thought the same thing about Clark, but not sure why Kinzie would be temporary?  Or maybe they did use a boat/barge for that PBL and I just never noticed?

It is a little more than nailing.  They are using bolts spaced pretty closely.  The use of bolts implies, I think, something on the bottom holding them in place.  I guess, hence, the barge.  I don't know how they would do it without a barge or a really crazy ironworker suspended under the bridge.  Actually, thinking of the ironworkers I have known, "crazy ironworker" might be redundant. ;-)

Tricolor said:

Lately I've been using (excuse my spelling and bad Polish language) CURVA! for those drivers regularly parked in the bike lane on the south side of Wacker.

Nice to soon be riding a full stretch of plates, making a rumbling sound of victory as we pass over them to the other side.

Juan Primo said:

I often hear dupajasz, which is like "Johnny ass".

Anne Alt said:

There's nothing quite like learning insults by immersion.  ;)

Juan 2-8 mi. said:

Most of the people I work with are Polish, so it kinda rubs off after many years.

Anne Alt said:

Dupa? Haven't heard that one in a while - my Polish gramma's favorite equivalent for dumbass.  ;)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service