The Chainlink

This is Virginia Beach. It's how the LFP should be, only with wider bike lanes. The LFP is a victim of it's own success and We, The People, of Chicago, need to get our heads around the idea of a radical remodel. Such a remodel would be necessarily expensive, but hey the LFP is that popular the remodel would surely be worth it, huh? Yes, it surely would!

I originally posted this as a reply to the 'Death of a Cyclist' discussion, but on reflection, I think the Virginia Beach model deserves a discussion of it's own.

Views: 1799

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey now, I think this is something we can all agree is overdue and good news!

http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/news.detail...

CHICAGO PARK DISTRICT & ACTIVE TRANSPORTATION ALLIANCE PRESENT LAKEFRONT TRAIL USAGE STUDY

Recommendations

The report recommends a variety of long-term improvements in specific locations along the trail that will increase trail user safety and improve access in the decades to come including:
•Upgrading to the trail design standard (including drainage and lighting) in places that do not currently meet the standard.
•In collaboration with the Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT), designing intuitive underpasses and overpasses that create fewer conflict points between beach/park users and trail users, and reduce congestion in heavily trafficked areas along the trail.
•Partnering with CDOT to improve on-street accessibility and increase safety at intersections near the trail.
The 35th Street and 67th Street access points had significantly fewer users than the north section, pointing to a strong need to improve accessibility and connectivity on this section of the trail. The Chicago Park District and CDOT are already planning construction of a 35th Street bridge to begin next year.

Additionally, based on the number of bikes seen along the trail, additional bicycle parking should be created at beaches and playing fields.

Recommendations and data collected support the Chicago Park District’s long-term plans for the Lakefront Trail, such as the Navy Pier Flyover.

That's is how it should be for sure!

Daniel G said:

May as well toss a few horses in the mix. Why the hell not, really.

Here's Lake Shore Drive in 1910.  Looks pretty nice to me.

Horses are delicious.

Here's a pretty good reason.  Explains why automobile use skyrocketed as well.

http://www.fathom.com/feature/121636/

Horse-driven infrastructure

At the turn of the nineteenth century, New York City's infrastructure relied upon disease-creating entities such as the horse. Between 100,000 and 200,000 horses lived in the city at any given time. Each one of those horses gave off 24 pounds of manure and several quarts of urine a day.

The vast majority of city horses were not elegant animals who pulled carriages and lived in stables near the homes of the wealthy; most were big workhorses who did all the hauling--pulling wagons loaded with goods from the shore. Big teams of workhorses powered the city's horse-driven street trolley system. The limited range and speed of these trolleys were one reason everyone lived below 57th Street. Horses are very inefficient in terms of moving people--especially atop big, heavy trolleys. Horses get tired, hungry and thirsty. They also drop dead. The average life span of a horse in New York City in the 1860s and '70s was a meager two and a half years. They were literally worked to death.

Thunder Snow said:

Daniel G said:

May as well toss a few horses in the mix. Why the hell not, really.

Here's Lake Shore Drive in 1910.  Looks pretty nice to me.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service