How many miles is your commute? ((read the OP before responding please, hunny-bunnies))

There seem to be a lot of discussions about gear, clothing, winter riding that don't take into account the sort of commutes people have; i.e. advice that applies to someone who rides 15 miles each way may not be useful to someone who rides 3 miles.  So I thought I'd propose that people add the (one-way) distance of their daily commute, or their most typical one-way distance for regular 'utility' (rather than social/fitness/recreational) rides after their user name and see if it helps, or at least provides a little added interest...

Views: 3286

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On days like this, with a strong headwind, I wish my commute wasn't 13.5185 km but a lot shorter like 8.4 miles

Done.

Can't exactly apply this working at home, but I love the idea.

I ride approximately 6879 Tron arcade cabinets to work, laid down end to end.

Fixed that for you.  h' 1.0 is a force to be unleashed, indeed. :)

Michelle Stenzel said:

Yup, all ready to be unleashed to on the world.

h' 1.0 said:

Aren't you going to congratulate me for going gold master?

Michelle Stenzel said:

Ha ha, now I understand the h' 1.0 from the other thread. I thought it was a new and improved version of Howard for the new year!

Mine is about 2.5 to 3.5 miles, depending on how far I go out of my way to avoid traffic, wind, etc.

To my old job, it was 8.5.  I'm about 2 blocks further away in my new job but haven't paced it out on the bike computer as of yet.

It's interesting to see who has similiar commutes.  I take pride in being able to list 9 now, but I wish I could still list 3.5 like when I lived in WP a few years ago - much quicker commute!

geeze, you know it's winter when all the cyclists sit around figuring out how many Noah's Ark cubits their commute is :)

I'm 4.0 each way, taking the side streets, always.

5.5 is three season commute. 6.5 would be the winter commute if there was snow because the FRT isn't plowed.  Moot point anyway, because I was planning to take one season off of commuting by bike just to take a break. Bone spur near the ball of my left foot has made it necessary. Ugh. Now, because I can't ride, I want to.

Right now, I'm doing a mixture of public and bike on a hybrid (about 5 one way on the bike). I'm kinda scared to do the 36 trip with this weather and my poor finger circulation. Anyone interested in a commuter group from north suburbs to chi-medical district / west side?

12.5 round trip. More if I'm feeling frisky. I racked up 700+ miles in 2 months doing this. It's honestly one of the real joys in my life: just going to work. Funny how that works!

I bike toward the north, from roughly Chicago & Milwaukee to Montrose & Damen so I'm usually battling headwinds in the morning and watching the myriad Milwaukee cyclists going toward the Loop (holy cow there are a lot of you guys and gals!). That morning headwind can be pretty harsh.

I actually find the length to be very nice (roughly half an hour, more or less depending on conditions and how awful the drivers are behaving that day) as I get my head together and usually arrive at work rather focused and determined (if not a little sweaty).

When I was riding 6 miles round-trip I found it much more difficult to get "in the zone" and it was very difficult to figure out how to dress - I tended to really overdo it or really underdo it and that resulted in a lot of uncomfortable rides. I didn't think riding a longer distance would be easy to plan for, but it's actually much easier to anticipate what clothing I'll need. It's not an easier ride, by any means, but cladding yourself for winter weather with a longer ride seems to be easier to plan for. It's hard to stay warm with a little puddlejump commute.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service