The Chainlink

When a website that claims to be promoting local cycling in the city of Chicago has a banner ad for a site which is one of the many internet discount outlets that make it hard for local bike shops.

Way to go Chainlink, bravo.  Is the advertising dollar worth making things harder on the local shops here in Chicago?

Is this site about serving the local community or is it about being a profit center for it's owner?

Views: 6735

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Too bad there's no medal for that.  

notoriousDUG said:

I'm not angry, very rarely am I angry, I just believe in what I think.

Doug doesn't mince words.  He's a straight shooter and sticks to his position. 

At the top of the thread he said that an aspect of the website was "lame."   That is a long way from evil (words mean things) and wasn't a direct personal attack on Julie.  It's ironic that most of the dramahz on this forum are created and blown way out of proportion by the very people who complain about perceived conflicts.  

And like Howard said above, this forum can be dead for hours at a time. if it wasn't for a little bit of spirited discussion between members who feel strongly about things the place would be really boring.  If Caspar Milquetoast is so conflict averse that he can't stand to even see people with strong opinions voicing them then perhaps they shouldn't click on this thread again (or other like this) and/or click on the Stop Following link near the bottom. 

notoriousDUG said:

If I wanted to call her evil I would have said just that.

Seems to me you work just as hard to continue to speak against what I think as I do to speak for what I think.

You continue to do the exact same thing you complain about me doing; continue to argue your side of the discussion because you think you're right.  Why is it bad when I do it but not when you do it?  Because you're 'right?'  I can sat the same thing on my end.

Brendan said:

notoriousDUG said:

OH cool!  Don't mind if I do.    :)

James BlackHeron said:

If Caspar Milquetoast is so conflict averse that he can't stand to even see people with strong opinions voicing them then perhaps they shouldn't click on this thread again (or other like this) and/or click on the Stop Following link near the bottom. 

Based on some of the discussions I have had regarding my behavior on this board the common theme is that 'powers that be' feel this board would be more popular if people always agreed and played perfect manners nice.  Others feel that without he conflict boards become stagnant and boring and traffic falls off.

Guess what mindset I am of?

James BlackHeron said:

At the top of the thread he said that an aspect of the website was "lame."   That is a long way from evil (words mean things) and wasn't a direct personal attack on Julie.  It's ironic that most of the dramahz on this forum are created and blown way out of proportion by the very people who complain about perceived conflicts.  

And like Howard said above, this forum can be dead for hours at a time. if it wasn't for a little bit of spirited discussion between members who feel strongly about things the place would be really boring.  If Caspar Milquetoast is so conflict averse that he can't stand to even see people with strong opinions voicing them then perhaps they shouldn't click on this thread again (or other like this) and/or click on the Stop Following link near the bottom. 

notoriousDUG said:

But yet pages after you said your posting in this thread was 'sad' you are still here...

Brendan said:

notoriousDUG said:

I just wanted to say that the chainlink has been filling my dead-time at work very nicely. I appreciate the bickering and melodrama very much!

If we keep at it the chances to hit 10 pages is pretty good; who wants to compare somebody to Hitler first?

I have had similar discussions.  And I don't think you are wrong.   And there are quite a few people who agree and just aren't the ones constantly hitting the complain button whining to the mods every time they see someone with a strong opinion (that happens to be counter to their own, of course.)  

If it weren't for a few strong-minded conversationalists to keep the threads going on this forum it'd be a ghost town.  

Hits are what keeps a forum going through ad revenue.  Hits are what threads like this one generate a lot of.  This is how the internet works.  But there is always a segment of every board that likes a heavy-handed authoritarian moderator to keep all the little children playing nice and being quiet and easily handled.  Pass the sedatives and force-feed them to all the rowdy folks.

This bar is getting boring -I wonder why?  Maybe it's time for a new hang-out.

notoriousDUG said:

Based on some of the discussions I have had regarding my behavior on this board the common theme is that 'powers that be' feel this board would be more popular if people always agreed and played perfect manners nice.  Others feel that without he conflict boards become stagnant and boring and traffic falls off.

Guess what mindset I am of?

James BlackHeron said:

notoriousDUG said:

Evil? Ain't no hyperbole there at all.

This thread is fun, all the umbrage taken.

Adam "Cezar" Jenkins said:

notoriousDUG said:

I love how you, and others, make it sound like I am asking for Julie's head on a pike or something.  All I said was that I thought it was lame, all I did was express an opinion about that one thing.  I don't hate the site, hate Julie , think anyone or anything is evil or out to get anyone.  I just said I thought it was lame; probably one of the softest words of protest that exists...

Actually ...

"Way to go Chainlink, bravo. Is the advertising dollar worth making things harder on the local shops here in Chicago?
Is this site about serving the local community or is it about being a profit center for it's owner?"

You just about called her evil. At least profiteering and putting advertising revenue before the community.

Just saying.

DUG
Pick up 20 random objects in Rapid Transit and record where they were made. I bet China/Asia is tops.
Was there a local/US option available, albeit at a higher price? Hmmm......

Hits are what keeps a forum going through ad revenue.  Hits are what threads like this one generate a lot of.  This is how the internet works.

So continuing this conversation is allowing the lame advertisment to get more eyes on it and thus getting the chainlink more money for showing it. This is exactly what the OP thought was lame, yet the discussion goes on. Is this a good example of irony?

That being said, I don't know what the particular ad is that was being discussed here or if it is still up. Im just giving an observation.

Also this has been one of the more interesting threads in a while. Not very informative, but very entertaining.  

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service