The Chainlink

When a website that claims to be promoting local cycling in the city of Chicago has a banner ad for a site which is one of the many internet discount outlets that make it hard for local bike shops.

Way to go Chainlink, bravo.  Is the advertising dollar worth making things harder on the local shops here in Chicago?

Is this site about serving the local community or is it about being a profit center for it's owner?

Views: 6735

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is true on many forums but it is not a rule here.

I started posting stuff up because people wanted to hear it.

Nobody is stopping other shops from using the forum to advertise specials.

kiltedcelt said:

Something to consider that I don't think has been brought up is the use of the forum to advertise professional services or sales. On many other forums that I frequent, individual posters are not allowed to post items of a commercial nature - ie. "come by our shop and buy this whatever" - because those are essentially posts of an advertising nature and as such are a go-around to paying to be an advertiser. I'm sure the guys who have placed ads on the side of the page and paid good money for that are not too happy to read postings of things being sold by Rapid Transit or any other bike shop. You want to sell something then pay for the ad space. On most of those other forums that I read there are specific advertising or commercial sub-forums where board visitors can go to see what sort of deals are being offered by various advertisers. If someone is a private individual selling a handful of parts or a bike or two, then there is usually a sub-forum for trading or sales similar to the marketplace sub-forum here on Chainlink. I think the whole issue is a bunch of b.s. If all the adds on the side were from major online retailers it'd be an issue, but they aren't. Most of those ads are from local shops so I don't see where there is any cause for anyone to complain.

Good point.  

But there is a fine line between someone who is sharing a legitimate awesome deal they found with other consumers/readers here,  and someone continually whoring their own shop for free in general posts instead of buying ad space.    

The ability for Chainlinkers to share a tip or deal with others here is much of what makes this site so darn useful.  It's one thing for a third-party to share a wonderful bargain at an LBS or a link to an online store that is having a blowout extravaganza or a super-closeout clearance price on a specific item.

When it is a bike-shop employee who is sharing a legitimate bargain or tip to a sale that points to his bosses business that line becomes a little bit blurred.  But I don't think it is absolutely wrong for such a thing to happen as a lowly shop wrench isn't exactly greatly monitarily joined at the hip to his boss.  It's not like they are getting paid six-figure salaries here.  As long as it is done with some degree of restraint and some tact it doesn't offend me -but in the end that is Julie's call as it is her site (or at least the rights to the site to administer what NING lets her touch.)  If she doesn't have a problem with it why should I or anyone else?  And if something here that Julie doesn't mind offends me (or anyone else) I'm free to go elsewhere and find some other community to participate in. 

It's that simple. 

kiltedcelt said:

Something to consider that I don't think has been brought up is the use of the forum to advertise professional services or sales. On many other forums that I frequent, individual posters are not allowed to post items of a commercial nature - ie. "come by our shop and buy this whatever" - because those are essentially posts of an advertising nature and as such are a go-around to paying to be an advertiser. I'm sure the guys who have placed ads on the side of the page and paid good money for that are not too happy to read postings of things being sold by Rapid Transit or any other bike shop. You want to sell something then pay for the ad space. On most of those other forums that I read there are specific advertising or commercial sub-forums where board visitors can go to see what sort of deals are being offered by various advertisers. If someone is a private individual selling a handful of parts or a bike or two, then there is usually a sub-forum for trading or sales similar to the marketplace sub-forum here on Chainlink. I think the whole issue is a bunch of b.s. If all the adds on the side were from major online retailers it'd be an issue, but they aren't. Most of those ads are from local shops so I don't see where there is any cause for anyone to complain.

I wonder WHO wanted the hear about it.The real issue is you using this site for FREE advertisement on this site and then going after Julie for having an advertiser that you don't approve.Who PAID money to be on the site.Thats fine if your shop doesn't value this site to advertise on it.But for you to complain about the way a site is trying to make money.While you use it for your own(FREE)advantage is B.S.It seems that you and your bike store want all the rewards of this site.With Julie taking all of the financial risk.

notoriousDUG said:

kiltedcelt said:

Howard has commented several times about how he wished local shops would chime in when they have stuff in stock or when they have specials; so I did just that.  I mean I guess we could just keep what is a really amazing deal secret to the Chainlink but that seems to benefit nobody.

I love how you, and others, make it sound like I am asking for Julie's head on a pike or something.  All I said was that I thought it was lame, all I did was express an opinion about that one thing.  I don't hate the site, hate Julie , think anyone or anything is evil or out to get anyone.  I just said I thought it was lame; probably one of the softest words of protest that exists...

Just so it is clear, it is not 'my' shop I just work there.  I also want to add that it is not as if these wheel builds put extra money in my pocket.  I'm going to get the same amount of hours regardless of how many people get wheels built but this way those hours are a little more interesting and a bunch of people get a chance to own hand built wheels are a really good price.  AFAIK Rapid Transit has never even been approached by Julie or The Chainlink for advertising but I really have no idea on that as I just fix bikes. 

Ace Mann said:

I wonder WHO wanted the hear about it.The real issue is you using this site for FREE advertisement on this site and then going after Julie for having an advertiser that you don't approve.Who PAID money to be on the site.Thats fine if your shop doesn't value this site to advertise on it.But for you to complain about the way a site is trying to make money.While you use it for your own(FREE)advantage is B.S.It seems that you and your bike store want all the rewards of this site.With Julie taking all of the financial risk.

notoriousDUG said:

kiltedcelt said:

Woo dat yo?

Brendan said:

Where's hustla da rabbit?

Juan said:

Warm and fuzzy...

h' said:

Group hug!!

Let's let Julie decide her own policies rather than making them up for her.

There's been absolutely no indication that payment is required or expected in order to post about something one has for sale, and in my opinion it would be a grave mistake to do so at a time when site activity can still die down to nothing for 12 or 16 hours at a time.

Just because they do something a certain way on another forum doesn't mean it's the right thing for this one (or even for that one.)

kiltedcelt said:

I'm sure the guys who have placed ads on the side of the page and paid good money for that are not too happy to read postings of things being sold by Rapid Transit or any other bike shop. You want to sell something then pay for the ad space. 

I can see positives to both sides.  I don't mind seeing LBS' post sales etc. pertaining to their store, although it seems like Rapid Transit is the main shop doing that, so maybe that's what people have an issue with.  On the other hand, kilted celt makes a fair point, and it is all the more illuminated by dug's hypocrisy and ("perceived" -h') impoliteness.  I don't know what's perfect for this site, but it's not right to pretend Julie Hochstadter makes site decisions without the input of anyone else.  

notoriousDUG said:

I love how you, and others, make it sound like I am asking for Julie's head on a pike or something.  All I said was that I thought it was lame, all I did was express an opinion about that one thing.  I don't hate the site, hate Julie , think anyone or anything is evil or out to get anyone.  I just said I thought it was lame; probably one of the softest words of protest that exists...

Actually ...

"Way to go Chainlink, bravo. Is the advertising dollar worth making things harder on the local shops here in Chicago?
Is this site about serving the local community or is it about being a profit center for it's owner?"

You just about called her evil. At least profiteering and putting advertising revenue before the community.

Just saying.

there was an ad up last week for yojimbos

In my time on this forum, I've yet to see The Notorious D.U.G. concede on an argument. This is his weakest one so far. To his credit, he does make well constructed points, but it's always for the purpose of winning such argument. It's always fun to read his angry posts (the majority, I'd say). Thus all the replies.

I'm not angry, very rarely am I angry, I just believe in what I think.

MagMileMarauder said:

In my time on this forum, I've yet to see The Notorious D.U.G. concede on an argument. This is his weakest one so far. To his credit, he does make well constructed points, but it's always for the purpose of winning such argument. It's always fun to read his angry posts (the majority, I'd say). Thus all the replies.

If I wanted to call her evil I would have said just that.

Adam "Cezar" Jenkins said:

notoriousDUG said:

Actually ...

"Way to go Chainlink, bravo. Is the advertising dollar worth making things harder on the local shops here in Chicago?
Is this site about serving the local community or is it about being a profit center for it's owner?"

You just about called her evil. At least profiteering and putting advertising revenue before the community.

Just saying.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service