The Chainlink

I managed to lose my keys at work yesterday (probably due to all the clothes changing). Regrettably I don't have a backup key for my kryptonite and it is not registered.Yes, dumb of me not to record the lock number (embarrassing too).

My bike is locked to a rack post just across the river (kedzie). 

It is a newer kryptonite so can't be picked with a pen.  Anyone have any expertise breaking these or have an angle cutter (no questions asked). Yes, I can show that the bike is mine.

I brought a car jack to work but am reluctant to try this. Seems like it will be tought with the lock higher up.

Any help would be appreciated. I am really lost without my  bike (use it to commute, shop, get to lake to run, etc.)!   I have asked my bldg. management to help but as of yet haven't heard back.

Josh

Views: 7131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations on being reunited with your bike.

While you're writing down numbers, write down the bicycle serial number as well.

jolondon30 said:

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Good news is i got the lock off. Tried using my car jack but quit because i am just not comfortable forcing something. So oinstead of calling one of the recommended removers i went cheap.

I took the el and the bus to home depot on north ave - took 25 mins. Rented a 4.5 inch angle drill for $15 for four hours. Electrician at merch mart ran an extension cord and in 36 seconds i had the lock cut. Guy at home depot said it takes 10 mins.

Bad news I guess for all of us is that a guy like me - who has never cut metal a,d has no experience with an angle drill - can cut a kryptonite lock in 30 secs. Maybe the battery powered models arent as powerful.

Anyway got the bike now and from now on i will record the key numbers on my locks and always have a spare key.

Sorry for typos...on mobile.
Yup. He sent me to the hardware dept and i saw a blade labeled metal cut which i bought. I also saw the masonry blades you mentioned. I had no idea all the differnt things a grinder can do. Actually i never knew that such a thing as a grinder exists (onlu that they are used to cut bike locks!)

also : get a u-lock that comes with several duplicate keys. I like the on guard : they give you FIVE. and the fancy one comes with a built in mini-flashlight. I always have one attached to my work ID / lanyard; another on my main keyring; and in my more anal days : I would have one pinned inside the messenger bag. just in case. other two can stay home or on a friend's keyring, etc.

DB

+1

Never ever throw out any key unless you are 100% sure the lock it goes to is defunct.   I have a bunch of old cheap dollar-store carabiners that I use to keep bunching up extra keys on.   So far the wad is about the size of a small melon and weighs about 5lbs.     I've never had the issue of losing the last key for anything.  If you are taking the last key from the wad just go to the hardware store and make another one.   With U-locks they usually come with 4-5 extras, and if you lose the last one you can take the little fob with the number and send that in to get them to cut you more -it's cheaper than a new lock.       

I don't lose keys very often anyhow.  My parents just changed their front door on their house and got a new key.  I still have the same exact key I was given in 1970 for that lock.   Now it does nothing but I'm too sentimental to throw it away. 

Losing keys?  I just don't get it.   Keep an eye on your damn stuff.   Is it that hard?

dan brown said:

also : get a u-lock that comes with several duplicate keys. I like the on guard : they give you FIVE. and the fancy one comes with a built in mini-flashlight. I always have one attached to my work ID / lanyard; another on my main keyring; and in my more anal days : I would have one pinned inside the messenger bag. just in case. other two can stay home or on a friend's keyring, etc.

DB

well the kryptonite's only come with two keys.  I commute through the winter and with all the clothes changing they can get misplaced.  I also bike to the lake where I run so there are just various opportunities for keys to get misplaced, fall out of pockets. etc. Maybe every two years I lose a small set (just house and bike keys).

Best thing is to have a couple of backups.

That's not true. Expensive bikes aren't the only bikes that get stolen and bikes are stolen on the north side. There are also bikes parked everywhere with stolen wheels. (Saw one locked to the stop sign in front of my building this morning. One of my favorite neighborhood bikes--a Fuji Flair fixie with new wheels...er...wheel.) 

Whatever the case, I'm glad you were able to get your bike back on the road quickly. And, do register your serial number or at least have that written down somewhere. 

jolondon30 said:

jolondon30 said:

James BlackHeron said:

Wait in the shadows overnight and eventually someone else will come to cut the lock -then pop out and surprise them before they ride away on your bike.

Thats funny. I bet you could leave a locked bike anywhere on the north side and it would last several weeks. My thinking is that guys who have the know how and will to cut locks only do so for expensive bikes.

hilarious!

James BlackHeron said:

Wait in the shadows overnight and eventually someone else will come to cut the lock -then pop out and surprise them before they ride away on your bike.

yeah, my bike was stolen in the middle of the day in lincoln park. It can happen anywhere.

Holly said:

That's not true. Expensive bikes aren't the only bikes that get stolen and bikes are stolen on the north side. There are also bikes parked everywhere with stolen wheels. (Saw one locked to the stop sign in front of my building this morning. One of my favorite neighborhood bikes--a Fuji Flair fixie with new wheels...er...wheel.) 

Whatever the case, I'm glad you were able to get your bike back on the road quickly. And, do register your serial number or at least have that written down somewhere. 

jolondon30 said:

jolondon30 said:

James BlackHeron said:

Thats funny. I bet you could leave a locked bike anywhere on the north side and it would last several weeks. My thinking is that guys who have the know how and will to cut locks only do so for expensive bikes.

I can't take credit for it as an original joke when I've seen it used elsewhere online.     It's still pretty funny though.  The truth hurts...

Julie Hochstadter said:

hilarious!

James BlackHeron said:

Aha!  I rode by and saw you and the Merchandise Mart electrician, during seconds 0-10.  I figured it was a legit operation, with his uniform and all.

jolondon30 said:

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Good news is i got the lock off. Tried using my car jack but quit because i am just not comfortable forcing something. So oinstead of calling one of the recommended removers i went cheap.

I took the el and the bus to home depot on north ave - took 25 mins. Rented a 4.5 inch angle drill for $15 for four hours. Electrician at merch mart ran an extension cord and in 36 seconds i had the lock cut. Guy at home depot said it takes 10 mins.

Bad news I guess for all of us is that a guy like me - who has never cut metal a,d has no experience with an angle drill - can cut a kryptonite lock in 30 secs. Maybe the battery powered models arent as powerful.

Anyway got the bike now and from now on i will record the key numbers on my locks and always have a spare key.

Sorry for typos...on mobile.

Josh- Congrats on getting your bike back. Yeah, it is amazing that it can be that easy & fast...

Group- this discussion of the kryptonite lock bike keys prompts me to ask: Do you know of any service that can "cut" or "copy" an existing bike lock key?

My U-Lock of 15 years still works great, BUT my final key felt the stress of age and the thick plastic head cracked and broke off. So the metal cylinder with cut teeth still exists and fits in the lock but it doesn't have a thumb surface to turn/torque the key in the lock.  (Lucky for me, my bike was not locked up when the key broke.) I hate to throw out a good lock if I can get a replacement key.

Where do you go to get U-Lock keys copied?  (Mine is not a Kryptonite, but a Bike Nashbar brand U-Lock that I bought  back in the early 90s. The key number that was stamped into the plastic head got worn away by years of use- so my only hope is making a copy from the metal tooth cylinder that I still have. This possible?)

Anyone have experience with this?

I wonder if the Nashbar brand used the same flawed design as the Kyrptonite locks and can be picked with a bic pen.   I wouldn't trust any round-key U-lock.   Get a new flat-key design and with clasps on both sides -not the dog-leg bent type on one edge of the U. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service