The Chainlink

HELP! Expert suggestions needed for cold hands/fingers!

Hi Chainlink,

So I'm grappling (again) with the cold winter days and I need a solution to my abnormally cold hands. I think it's Renauld's disease but the bottom line is my hands will get numb/cold in about 15 minutes riding in any temps below 30.

Any specific techniques, products, etc??

I broke down and have spent $$$ on the OR Alti mitts (used for Antarctic expeditions!) and I sure hope that does the trick.

Note: I have been using a 3-layer glove system: wool liner, windstopper, outer waterproof she'll trigger finger. But it's not working!

Also, I refuse to spend $ on hot hand packets for the next 4 months.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Views: 2317

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Again thanks for everyone's suggestions.

I've nust got these in the mail (http://www.6pm.com/outdoor-research-mens-alti-mitts-black) on sale BTW if you wear mens XL. Plus use a 10% off code you can find online.

I will update if this works alone during 20 F below.

Ride safe out there!

Those look good and I bet you could solve the itchy part by putting a silk glove liner on first.  The silk will add some insulation but should not be enough to make it too hot.  $10.99 a pair at Campmor

Duane Waller said:

Keeping your core warm is the most important way to keep your hands warm. I believe it's known as "hunter's reflex". And it really does work for me. I wear a very heavy down vest over a wool sweater and under a windstop jacket and have few, if any, problems. And my hands are always cold.

Also, I invested in these fellas: http://www.sweatersintl.com/dachstein_mitts.html  They are made from boiled wool, which is almost waterproof and windproof (still allows for some air movement, which is good because your hands will get warm). The cheaper of the two versions are the mitts that I have; no grip on the palm (not a problem for me, may be for you), and they are FAR from being ergonomically designed. But hot dang are they warm. Rode into that miserable 30MPH west wind on Thursday without complaint. Even my big old bulky snowboard gloves aren't nearly as warm. Of course, YRMV, and to be truthful, this wool they are made of of the scratchy/itchy variety, especially around the wrists.

Hey Rob,

As you said, those Outdoor Research mittens can be pricey. They start around $85 and go up to $200 from what I see on a Google price search. Does saving your arms and legs require that you spend an arm and a leg, too? Please keep us posted.

Thanks. 

Rob D. said:

Again thanks for everyone's suggestions.

I've nust got these in the mail (http://www.6pm.com/outdoor-research-mens-alti-mitts-black) on sale BTW if you wear mens XL. Plus use a 10% off code you can find online.

I will update if this works alone during 20 F below.

Ride safe out there!
http://www.rewci.com/ez-heat-reusable-hand-warmer.html

Hey, Rob D ! Skip Montanaro posted this on my discussion on winter cycling clothing. Reusable hand warmers. Did you see it? Would this work for you? $4.95 per unit. Boil for six minutes to recharge it. Don't let your fingers get frostbite.

Annoyingly, Menards does not tell us what kind of batteries these $20 heated ski gloves use. 

I haven't bought from here, but I heard about their great prices and think it is worth sharing:

http://www.freezerwear.com/eShop/10Browse.asp

They are made for people who work in refrigerated places (says the gloves are good to -50F!)

These changed the game for me. $6.00/pair at any Army Surplus. On the worst -0º days last winter I was fine wearing a double-pair.

David of the North (David606xx) said:

Where, specifically, can I get these in the city? Anyone know?

Thank you.

These changed the game for me. $6.00/pair at any Army Surplus. On the worst -0º days last winter I was fine wearing a double-pair.

How long is your commute? Boiled wool or some other construction? Did you have a shell over them?

I have 3 pairs of them. They were not sufficient for me, even when I had 3 layers, which made them really awkward. You can have them if you want them. My friends say I can stand the cold weather better than them when it comes to fingers, but these didn't work for me.

I got these from the Army surplus store on Broadway next to Uptown Bike.

Haddon said:

Thank you.

Sadly, the Army Surplus on Broadway closed last year. I'm going to check out the Army Surplus on Lincoln just south of Belmont to make sure they've got them. Belmont Army Surplus has them in a pinch but, true to form, they charge $2.00 extra for them.

A note--these are the wool liners for a leather overglove. I talked to a guy who served in Afghanistan and he says that the leather overglove makes the whole affair colder than just the wool liners alone.

JustWill said:

I have 3 pairs of them. They were not sufficient for me, even when I had 3 layers, which made them really awkward. You can have them if you want them. My friends say I can stand the cold weather better than them when it comes to fingers, but these didn't work for me.

I got these from the Army surplus store on Broadway next to Uptown Bike.

Haddon said:

Thank you.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service