The Chainlink

The last time I bought a helmet was in the post-civil war carpetbagging era. I went online today and was surprised at the range of prices from $20-something to the hundreds. I want to buy something for winter use. I cannot wear the military-style helmet, because the back of the helmet interferes with the neck brace/headrest on my trike. Any thoughts on what keeps you warm in winter (important, as I have a shaved head) and is moderately priced?

Views: 485

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is definitely true for a motorcycle helmet -that fits much more snugly and all around the head.  A bicycle helmet is supported on a cradle of plastic and nylon straps  and the fit of the "helmet" is actually how that little support ring fits and there is a TON of adjustabilty built into these straps to account for fit if you know how they work.   Hard hats for construction work the same way and have much less engineering put into them to allow for adjustment of the straddle straps within and us folk usually get stuck wearing whatever brand the boss wears for 8+ hours a day every day for years on end.    

Bicycle beer coolers ehm, "helmets,"  just perch on the top of your head and don't cover everything like a real motorcycle helmet (I won't even call a non-full-faced "helmet" for motorcycles a real helmet much less the lightweight things that we wear on bicycles)    Yet there are folks who insist on buying motorcycle helmets online.     I know that I wear a Shoei size M and I have a Shoei head.  But I'd do a LOT of reading before buying another helmet online even if it were a Shoei of another model since they don't make the T-ZR any longer.   If I did I'd make sure the place I was ordering it from had a good return policy.

A bike  helmet?   I'd order one online if they had a good return policy.  i'd buy one at an LBS if they had a good price.  The last bike helmet I bought was at the winter swap here in Chicago. It was a great deal from a burbie dealer that had a booth and was cheaper than I could find it online and I could try it on too.   But the return policy sucked -Trek is good at standing behind their products if they break, so I felt good about buying a Trek-branded helmet even though it was a cash-only no-returns deal from the bike Swap.

A bike helmet is a bike helmet.  They all offer about the same minimalist protection of about nothing and a half.  They all let you compete under your USAcycling license or get into the events that mandate their use for lawyer/insurance reasons.  They all  seem to have different styles and colors, different degrees of airflow, and slightly different fits.  Some are heavier than others too or fit better with hats/beanies/balaclavas.   Pick one that you like and you won't leave at home because it is uncomfortable or offends your taste or sense of "style."  Pick one that doesn't waste your budget.  That's all that is important. 

This is just what I love about Chainlink. I have been riding as an adult for 20+ years and I still learn something. Tape up some of the vents, caps, 180s and balaclavas that turn Siberian tundra into summer. Thanks, all.

James, you're righter more of the time than most people I know, but you're off on this one.

It's possible you've got sort of an 'average' head shape and don't realize it.... the helmets that are supposed to be one size fits most, and rely on the straps and brackets for proper fit are particularly frustrating when the shape of the helmet doesn't work. Also, where the helmet ends on your forehead and the back of your skull is a critical factor in how well the helmet will protect you in a fall.

James BlackHeron said:

This is definitely true for a motorcycle helmet -that fits much more snugly and all around the head.  A bicycle helmet is supported on a cradle of plastic and nylon straps  and the fit of the "helmet" is actually how that little support ring fits and there is a TON of adjustabilty built into these straps to account for fit if you know how they work.

Maybe it's more like my head is very a odd-shaped small egg with sort a pointy bit at the top* and NOTHING really ever fits it right. Most bike helmets want to either cock to the left or right but never sit straight.   I've tried many different helmets and never found anything quite "right"   After a while you just get used to the fact that at best, the headwear is going to be merely uncomfortable (rather than unbearable)  and just get over it and ignore the discomfort.  

A helmet is supposed to be comforting -not necessarily comfortable. 

* think uncle fester. (and no, I'm not from France)  My wife never makes many demands but she has has insisted that I never shave my head bald again. Dog only knows what I'll do when I go naturally bald ;)

h' said:

James, you're righter more of the time than most people I know, but you're off on this one.

It's possible you've got sort of an 'average' head shape and don't realize it.... the helmets that are supposed to be one size fits most, and rely on the straps and brackets for proper fit are particularly frustrating when the shape of the helmet doesn't work. Also, where the helmet ends on your forehead and the back of your skull is a critical factor in how well the helmet will protect you in a fall.

I bought a Giro Revolver last winter....been a great winter helmet. 

I found it in the ski area of the Sporting Goods store.  I think about $50.

Bern G2 has an adjustable vent system built in.  http://www.bernunlimited.com/Products/Helmets/G2?helmetType=Bike

Get tough.  

I use a Bell Solar with a Jandd Mountaineering waterproof cover over the vents when it starts to get a bit chilly.  When it gets even colder, I add a Pace Balaclava underneath it.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service