The Chainlink

Have you reserved a "Share the Road" license plate yet?

Last summer, Gov. Quinn signed a law for permanent "Share the Road" specialty license plates. The state will begin producing them when there are 1,500 reservations. We are currently more than 3/4 of the way there with 1,156 reservations!

If you own a car, this is the perfect way to show your bicycling pride as well as promote the "Share the Road" message! As a bonus, most of the additional fee for the plates will go to LIB for education of motorists and bicyclists.

Learn more about the plates and get the reservation form at http://www.bikelib.org/other-advocacy/license-plates/license-plate-....

As a part-time employee at LIB, I've been at many events such as Bike the Drive (where Julie was wonderfully kind to lend me her umbrella!). Those who have already signed up for the plates keep asking me when are they going to get their snazzy new plates. We just need 344 more! Please help us spread the word and consider signing up for a plate, if you have not already done so.

Views: 1167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jason,

Thank you for posting the link to the post on drinking and biking. The law may not say "bike = vehicle." But, the law does state "Traffic laws apply to persons riding bicycles. Bicyclists riding on a highway are granted all of the rights and are subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle with certain exceptions." [5/11-1502] I agree with Margo O'Hara, that regardless, it is not a good idea to ride while drunk.

I also still believe that promoting sharing the road and the "Same Rigts, Same Rules" idea will benefit cyclists, such as myself and that it will hopefully decrease the amount of times a motorist yells at me that I should be riding on the sidewalk. If you do not feel the same, you obviously have the right to your opinion and can decide for yourself regarding whether to reserve a plate.

-Gina

Regardless of what the law may be at the moment, it makes no sense at all to expect a bike to observe the same rules as a motor vehicle. Bike advocacy organizations should be working to fix the laws, not advocating that we follow rules that should not apply to us. It is pointless for example to sit motionless at a red light when there is no other traffic around. A bike can coast through a stop sign at 2 MPH with total and complete safety for everyone involved, etc. 

I'll continue to support the work of LIB, but I'm hugely disappointed with the text on this license plate. 

Tony,

A law is currently awaiting Gov. Pat Quinn's signature that deals with that very issue. The "dead red" stoplight law was proposed by motorcyclists but bicyclists were added later, thanks to the efforts of the Active Transportation Alliance. Due to a legislative compromise, Chicago will be exempt from the new law. ATA and the League of Illinois Bicyclists do work to "fix the laws." For info. on current legislation, visit http://www.bikelib.org/other-advocacy/current-legislation/, sign up for our e-newsletter and alert, become a "fan" of our Facebook page and/or become a member of LIB. And, of course, when there are laws that you think should be changed to address issues, please contact LIB, ATA and the legislators involved.

-Gina

Changing and shifting legislation and the culture of safety/enforcement on the streets, always take a lot of time and effort (years and years). We can all agree that there are parts of the system that are broken, but some areas are getting better. Together we can keep pushing for new/adjusted laws that make it better for all of us to get around safely. Active Trans is building our legislative agenda for next year and will be asking our members to provide input, working with LIB and other partners, with the goal of making change.

We (and LIB) were successful on some efforts this year but not in others. Some of our agenda will continue and we'll be adding some new items too.

http://www.activetrans.org/legislation

Thanks,

Ethan Spotts, Active Trans

It is so cool that the Gov worked to get this law and fund LIB, and thank you, Gina, for posting this!

Unfortunately, I would be a major hypocrite "wearing" this plate on my car.  I am a very safe, communicative (I signal), defensive, and conscientious cyclist, but I admittedly do not follow all the same rules that motorists do.  I roll through stop signs if there are no cars or pedestrians around, and (after stopping first), I will ride through a red light, as well.  I believe strongly that and cyclists should share the road with one another, but I don't believe that cyclists should be subject to the *exact* same rules as motorists, since they are inherently far less dangerous to others, and some rules are unnecessarily strict from a cyclist perspective.  Am I over-thinking this?

Shirlee,

Others will likely have other opinions on this. My personal opinion is that the plate is a mini-billboard to the general driving public. Again in my opinion, the plates promote bicycling as a form of transportation that has just as much of a right to be on the road as cars, motorcycles, trucks, etc. I think you would be one of the ideal people to have a plate, but I'm also sure my opinion is biased. = )

-Gina

The closest thing Wisconsin has to a "Share the Road" (with bicyclists) license plate is one that encourages motorists to share the road with motorcycles.

I also do everything you do, but I will not feel like a hypocrite at all with these plates on my car. I feel like the MAIN message is "Share the Road". Every time I drive my car (obligatory statement inserted here: NOT VERY OFTEN, OF COURSE), I'll be broadcasting the message to every driver behind me that I believe that bikes belong on the road just as much as cars do.

Shirlee Berman said:

It is so cool that the Gov worked to get this law and fund LIB, and thank you, Gina, for posting this!

Unfortunately, I would be a major hypocrite "wearing" this plate on my car.  I am a very safe, communicative (I signal), defensive, and conscientious cyclist, but I admittedly do not follow all the same rules that motorists do.  I roll through stop signs if there are no cars or pedestrians around, and (after stopping first), I will ride through a red light, as well.  I believe strongly that and cyclists should share the road with one another, but I don't believe that cyclists should be subject to the *exact* same rules as motorists, since they are inherently far less dangerous to others, and some rules are unnecessarily strict from a cyclist perspective.  Am I over-thinking this?

Yes, absolutely! I think almost all cyclists would agree with this well-stated opinion.

Tony Adams said:

Regardless of what the law may be at the moment, it makes no sense at all to expect a bike to observe the same rules as a motor vehicle. Bike advocacy organizations should be working to fix the laws, not advocating that we follow rules that should not apply to us. It is pointless for example to sit motionless at a red light when there is no other traffic around. A bike can coast through a stop sign at 2 MPH with total and complete safety for everyone involved, etc. 

I'll continue to support the work of LIB, but I'm hugely disappointed with the text on this license plate. 

No, you're not overthinking this. I do exactly the same as you do for stop signs and red lights. It's common sense when done without endangerment of yourself or others. Motorists who complain about this are betraying their petty enviousness. It's as if cyclists complained about the speed capabilities of cars. We don't! Bikes and cars are entirely different means of transport and each had advantages the other lacks. 

Shirlee Berman said:

Although a lot of people are upset/annoyed by the text of this plate,  I just like the fact that it supports cycling in general and allowing bicycles on the roadway with the message of "Share the Road".  One of my friends in the suburbs was once pulled over and then told by a police officer "you need to get on the sidewalk, the roadway is dangerous for bicycles" as she was cycling (there were NO signs prohibiting cycling on the roadway there) so there is ignorance about bicycles sharing the road with cars as many people seem to think bikes should be on the sidewalks.  And, the license plate looks pretty, too.  I just hope they reach the goal of 1,500 reservations so that the actual plates can be printed.

I just received an email from a bike club saying that there are 1,498 reservations for the plate. 

Only a couple more and they reach the 1,500 they need to produce them.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service