The Chainlink

I am so ready for Spring. I know there are quite a few hard core winter cyclist here but,,,,dog gone it my cycling tan lines are fadeing!!!!!!!

Views: 242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know I'm glad I don't have to not spend all that money on winter gear. Living in Cali must suck.

BK said:
...riding in -11.2 F temps. Yup.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Should they be jealous of -11.2 F temps?

BK said:
We have a unique biking opprotunity that people in warm weather states don't get. We get to ride in sun and snow. They should be jealous of us.
they should, because in my opinion we have a trump card to any cycling argument that might arise

" i bike in -11.7 degree weather. suck it"

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Should they be jealous of -11.2 F temps?

BK said:
We have a unique biking opprotunity that people in warm weather states don't get. We get to ride in sun and snow. They should be jealous of us.
I agree, but try not to say it out loud, since it's only January. What I miss most from summer is never having to worry about the temperature and road conditions - to be able to get on my bike and go.
I guess my main issue here is that I really love rideing in Chicago, especially those nice long rides, and I really miss that right now. I do ride in the winter, but I'm not as hard core as some of you guys. Much respect to all that do. I love seeing you guys out there!
I really believe there is no shame whatsoever in not riding these days. In fact, I'd venture that 'cold' is subjective! I also don't really think anyone is any more hard core than anyone else; riding in this is just where I'm at right now, and in my "subjective interpretation" it's still acceptable.

Honestly, this is my first real bike winter, and it's almost like every day is a new test or challenge. I've ridden in snow and cold when I lived in Colorado, and I've ridden motorcycles in all sorts of unpleasantries (and there you're not even getting to move your body!). Sure I miss the ease & convenience of getting on and going, but this is just a different part of the same movie.
You know what I think is worse than biking in the city in all this weather? Driving in it. Last winter I paid hundreds of dollars for my car to get towed, have a battery fixed, towed again, have something else fixed, etc. etc. etc. Not to mention the headaches of getting stuck on some ice or snow or in traffic. Not this year.

My bike is so much more agreeable. Never gets stuck, repairs are fast and inexpensive, and a tow is never required.

I went out today prepared for pain and didn't feel any. Like someone else here said, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. Winter biking is a blast.
It is cold.
but if one is properly attired, it is not an insumountable problem. I grew up in the region, and we all know that this is cold weather. Or else we wouldnt be making so much of a fuss about it.
But every season has its charms. you just have to know where to look. and be willing to go out into it.
And this weather makes spring all the more glorious.
I still would take Chicago winters any day over a hurricane or earthquake. When this is all over, my apartment building will still be standing.
I rode in shite weather last year, didn't enjoy it. I'm sticking to foot and CTA this winter.
Who WOULDN'T rather be out in warmer weather?! I've ridden a number of winters in the cold, dressed right makes it doable but it was out of necessity for training rather than enjoyment... This winter I'm "dealing" with the cold winter by running outdoors. I still think winter sucks....
There was an earthquake here about a year ago. Early in the morning, south of us, so we felt the aftershock. I was on the toilet at the time, but it wasn't quite strong enough to shake me off.

Reddog said:
It is cold.
I still would take Chicago winters any day over a hurricane or earthquake. When this is all over, my apartment building will still be standing.
I remember that quake! A great 'WTF?!?!' moment at about 4AM. I seriously thought it was my cat going crazy under my bed at first.

Oh earthquakes, how you confuse us in the Midwest.

GabeW said:
There was an earthquake here about a year ago. Early in the morning, south of us, so we felt the aftershock. I was on the toilet at the time, but it wasn't quite strong enough to shake me off.

Reddog said:
It is cold.
I remember that quake too! I heard my old running medals dinging against each other as I was being woken up. Then I realized we'd just had an earthquake - definitely a WTF moment! (I'm originally from southern Cal, which I guess implies I'm sensitive to the earth moving under my feet.) Heck, sometimes a bus crossing a bridge in the loop will have the same effect if I'm on the bridge.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service