The Chainlink

I have been pondering recently creating a grassroots courteous cyclist campaign (or "Don't be a douche").

Being a completely private campaign would give me (or us) the latitude to use a catchphrase like "Don't be a douche."

Perhaps this campaign would be mainly a sticker campaign and word of mouth (calling people out when they're "douches."

The problems I constantly see that make people lose respect for all cyclists.

-Blowing through stop signs and red lights with no intention of stopping for any reason (even when it's not your turn (right of way))

-sitting in the crosswalk when stopped at an intersection (hey, that's a pedestrian's space, not a cyclists; plus there is almost always space between the crosswalk and the car "stopline")

-riding on the sidewalk (hey, that's a pedestrian's space, they could be a great ally in bicycle advocacy if we respected them more)

-salmoning

-riding with no lights at night

-riding in a crosswalk to cheat your way through a 6-point intersection (and other tomfoolery to cheat your way through; look, are you a pedestrian or a cyclist, you're in the pedestrians space right now) - this will be debateable for some, but I often see that this practice doesn't gain much time for the cyclist (I always have the line in my head "you lose a lot more goodwill than you gain in time"); I'm sure drivers don't appreciate a cyclist going out of turn across the crosswalk when there are no pedestrians present, impeding their legal turn

Any other insights, thoughts, complaints...?

Is there a need for a campaign like this to spruce up our image (that is constantly tarnished by the "douches" - and hopefully correct their behavior)?

I know the Bicycle Ambassadors do some of this work, however, I believe they are funded by the city; hence they require that you follow the law to a T; this campaign would be more real-world applicable (you don't have to stop at that stop sign if no one is around...)

"Don't be a douche" or Courteous Cyclist as the campaign name (or something else)?

Also, there is a share the road sign I saw on some blog at some point from somewhere in Europe I believe that has the cyclist tipping his hat to the driver.  That could be a cool graphic for this; does anyone know where that is?

Scott

[edited]

Views: 1098

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I could be wrong but I've had the perception for a while now that folks who use the tiny tiny (tiny) percentage of routes, or pieces thereof, in Chicago that have a visible amount of bicycle traffic tend to lose their perspective.  The entire modeshare of trips by bicycle still hovers around 1% for Chicago, despite all the cyclists you see every day.

I could see such a campaign being a worthwhile investment of time and resources some (glorious) day in the future when cycling can really be said to be an accepted form of daily transportation in Chicago, like 40+% modeshare, but for the moment I'd prefer to see all resources channeled towards getting people onto bikes and keeping them there.

That said, that's all my personal preference, and if this campaign is important to you, by all means pursue it.

Scott H said:

Lincoln - Wells

It is a cyclist heavy route, but is avoiding reality the solution?

Another aspect of this could be what we (cyclists) expect from motorists (don't ask for the world, because most people [cyclist or motorist] are completely centered on themselves).

-3 feet passing distance

-check before you open your door

Discuss...

So is everything being done to get people on bikes and keep them there?

That should ultimately be this campaign's goal.

Motorists hate cyclists because they are all perceived as scofflaws (even though we know the motorists are the bigger scofflaws) -> scofflaw perception is lessened -> hostility towards cyclists lessens (to what degree, who knows; also need much enforcement of traffic laws - thats a whole other discussion) -> streets perceived safer for cyclists -> more people take to the streets (including my wife :))

h' said:

I could be wrong but I've had the perception for a while now that folks who use the tiny tiny (tiny) percentage of routes, or pieces thereof, in Chicago that have a visible amount of bicycle traffic tend to lose their perspective.  The entire modeshare of trips by bicycle still hovers around 1% for Chicago, despite all the cyclists you see every day.

I could see such a campaign being a worthwhile investment of time and resources some (glorious) day in the future when cycling can really be said to be an accepted form of daily transportation in Chicago, like 40+% modeshare, but for the moment I'd prefer to see all resources channeled towards getting people onto bikes and keeping them there.

That said, that's all my personal preference, and if this campaign is important to you, by all means pursue it.

Scott H said:

Lincoln - Wells

It is a cyclist heavy route, but is avoiding reality the solution?

Another aspect of this could be what we (cyclists) expect from motorists (don't ask for the world, because most people [cyclist or motorist] are completely centered on themselves).

-3 feet passing distance

-check before you open your door

Discuss...

And this is coming from me... 

Calling people a douche for riding in ways that actually make sense at times is not going to get you much traction. Call me a douche on my morning commute and you might have an extremely unpleasant morning.

2. Maybe if there are laws that make sense for bikes it will be easier to get people to follow them.  You want to make change make change by makingit more friendly to ride and then attack those who can;t fo

Maybe a good Op-Ed to the major dailies urging tolerance/courteousness to for all road users could be useful.

-Cyclists should yield the right of way (not necessarily stop, an official organization-Ambassadors- would need to advocate complete adherence to laws)

-Cyclists should yield to pedestrians always

-Cyclists should not ride on the sidewalk

-Pedestrians should not jump in front of a moving car with little room to stop simply because they indeed have the right of way

-Pedestrians should not walk in the bike lane

-Motorists should be aware (not talk on cell phone, etc.)

-Motorists should only pass cyclists safely (I've got a daughter I want to get home to)

-Motorists should check before swinging open their door

There are probably more even-keeled people on all sides of this quandary than I realize.

discuss...

Yeah, so "douche" was "weeded" out of this discussion a few posts back, unfortunately I'm not aware that I can edit an OP.

I figured it out, thanks DUG

notoriousDUG said:

And this is coming from me... 

Calling people a douche for riding in ways that actually make sense at times is not going to get you much traction. Call me a douche on my morning commute and you might have an extremely unpleasant morning.

2. Maybe if there are laws that make sense for bikes it will be easier to get people to follow them.  You want to make change make change by makingit more friendly to ride and then attack those who can;t fo

I have to agree with h' above and say that if you feel it is worthwhile, please pursue it and I hope it all works out for the best.  I admit that am jaded since I also see a lot of cyclists do things that make me cringe, but maybe if put together the right way, a campaign would help to at least spread the word and educate some.   As an aside, I kind of find it funny that compared to the amount of car traffic, that so many motorists see a few cyclists on the road and suddenly declare them all scofflaws and dangers-not counting that many motorists commit many of the same violations (run red lights, roll stop signs, break most traffic laws).  

Scott H said:

I think one of the hindrances of Active Trans and Bicycle Ambassadors is that I believe they have to officially advocate that cyclists follow all laws to a T (full stop at stop signs, etc.).  That then presents extremes (follow laws exactly or not follow them at all) and people tend to gravitate toward extremes (look at the current political climate).

Thanks for your insights.

So you don't think any type of campaign can be done to improve conditions?

Melanie said:

Nice idea, but in practice is it really going to help? Active Trans does a lot to advocate cycling safely already, as do a few other organizations- calling other cyclists something derogatory will probably only get your campaign smeared, although motorists may find it funny that there is in-fighting in the cycling community.  I also get peeved when cyclists blow lights while I am waiting at a red (usually because I am witnessing them almost getting slammed by a motorist as they cross against the light, while a motorist is zooming through the green at a higher than the posted speed limit) but I wouldn't call them douches. There will always be motorists that hate cyclists, and there will always be cyclists that won't follow the law and piss those motorists off, as well as motorists who don't follow the law sharing the road with cyclists.  Accidents will happen no matter how well planned out and educated people are about cycling and realistically, there really isn't any type of movement that I can see being effective in stopping cyclists from running lights or salmoning (going the wrong way down the lane and against traffic) or any other infraction.  If there was enforcement of traffic laws against cyclists, maybe cyclists would actually worry about going through the lights, and obey more traffic laws. As far as a grassroots movement to educate cyclists on why they shouldn't violate traffic laws or piss off motorists goes, I just feel it wouldn't be effective, as I believe most cyclists know they are violating laws and pissing people off and really don't give a damn about how others perceive them.  BTW- I try not to cycle like an ass most of the time, but there are days I have my moments (roll the stops, use the sidewalk/walkway as a shortcut when no pedestrians are present), no one is perfect.  I am scared to death of running lights since I see people almost get hit all the time, too. I just don't see a campaign that calls out bad cyclists to be something positive for the cycling community- it seems it may just divide it.   

I do too and I wonder how much opposition there actually is to bike infrastructure (and how much is due to scofflaw-ism) - anyone have some data?

The car culture is so ingrained though, and they've been breakin' the laws for much longer than this "surge" in cyclists has-so it's acceptable.

Melanie said:

...As an aside, I kind of find it funny that compared to the amount of car traffic, that so many motorists see a few cyclists on the road and suddenly declare them all scofflaws and dangers-not counting that many motorists commit many of the same violations (run red lights, roll stop signs, break most traffic laws).  

I like it!  Sarah does some great work.

Kelvin Mulcky said:

I would never want to discourage someone from being courteous, but when I'm on my bike and literally going up against 2 ton (and greater) hunks of metal, being polite is pretty much the furthest thing from my mind.  Staying alive, unhurt, and trying to enjoy my ride as much as possible are things that immediately concern me.  I wouldn't call myself a reckless cyclist by any means, nor would I take pride in being labeled such.  However, I have done and do certain things on your douchebag list, and really, I'm not a douchebag.  I've never hit anyone, and no one has ever hit me due to my riding habits.  Have I pissed people off?  Sure.  Have people pissed me off?  Yes.  Do we have to make a club and a sticker for every grievance that pops into our heads?  No.  

I think h' said it best:  

"The entire modeshare of trips by bicycle still hovers around 1% for Chicago, despite all the cyclists you see every day.

I could see such a campaign being a worthwhile investment of time and resources some (glorious) day in the future when cycling can really be said to be an accepted form of daily transportation in Chicago, like 40+% modeshare, but for the moment I'd prefer to see all resources channeled towards getting people onto bikes and keeping them there."

Maybe you'll see me wearing one of those stickers if this ever happens.  

The sticker is pretty cool-I'd sport one, although according to my husband I have "Traffic Induced Turrets" (and I mean no offense to anyone who actually has Turrets, btw) so the cursing only when necessary may not be possible :p 

Kelvin Mulcky said:

My own personal creed has become positive reinforcement to all other road users (peds, cars, bikes) who I felt went beyond what I would expect of an average user.  I give a wave of thanks to cars that let me in or wait for me to go through an intersection.  Conversely, if I see another user do something dangerous or ignorant, I will also point it out - being sure not to curse as it negates any message you are trying to get across.  I ride assertively and predictably, usually rolling cautiously through stop signs - but I always make sure I am not infringing on another user's right-of-way.  I've never had a problem with aggressive drivers, and have received back many more "sorrys" than "@#%^&'s"

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service