Goodman Theater shoveling snow into Dearborn PBL- Resolved for now, thanks.

As reported on another thread...

Please call 312/443-3811 and choose X 174 (Mark Kozy, facilities manager) and report back here on whether you spoke to him or left a message.

Sample script, if needed-- "Hi, my name is _______________ and I was hoping I could get your help in finding a way to avoid having the snow from the Goodman Theater shoveled into the new protected bike lane."  Etc.

Please report back. I'll let the thread die when 5 people have reported on their call.

Edit-- acceptable response from the Goodman-- call off the dogs for now.

Edit 2/5: No follow-through.  Please call/e-mail again.

Edit- resolved for now.

Views: 980

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I'll give them a call after lunch today.

I called and left a message.

I also tweeted them.

e-mailed

Looks like all that calling/emailing/tweeting got to them.

@pkmonaghan @AdamHerstein @HenryGrabar @DearbornBikeLn Sorry folks! We are working to remedy the snowy issue.

This isn't a "first significant snowfall challenge".  This is a stupidity issue.  They have a facilities manager who never figured out 1) the erected a protected bike lane and 2) when it snows we can't just dump the  snow in the street like we did before.

And this...  Looks like all that calling/emailing/tweeting got to them.    She more sounds like she's apologizing for the snow... not apologizing for dumping snow on a bike lane.

This. The vast majority of people living/working in a city know what a bike lane is. They dumped snow into the bike lane knowing full well what they were doing was wrong, and simply did not care until people started complaining. Businesses like to be reactive vs proactive.

Juan Primo said:

This isn't a "first significant snowfall challenge".  This is a stupidity issue.  They have a facilities manager who never figured out 1) the erected a protected bike lane and 2) when it snows we can't just dump the  snow in the street like we did before.

And this...  Looks like all that calling/emailing/tweeting got to them.    She more sounds like she's apologizing for the snow... not apologizing for dumping snow on a bike lane.

+1 million

Chi Lowe 12.5+ mi said:

Agree to disagree.  For every generic "stupid person" archetype my imagination can conjure up, I can see a human being just trying to get by in life.

I can see a person whose menial job it is to clear the sidewalk, just doing their job the way they've always done it.  I can see a facilities manager not even discussing what significant snow would mean for the road-dumping status quo, maybe even one who assume that people won't ride - despite the new shiny PBL - becuase well, duh, people don't ride bicycles in snow, since they really didn't used to - at least not in any significant numbers.  Don't get me wrong.  I can equally imagine people being mindless, or even doing this stuff intentionally.  

I just don't jump there right away.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

This. The vast majority of people living/working in a city know what a bike lane is. They dumped snow into the bike lane knowing full well what they were doing was wrong, and simply did not care until people started complaining. Businesses like to be reactive vs proactive.

Juan Primo said:

Why are we dissecting the individuals behavior?

We tend to get pretty good responses if we bring up issues with responsible companies (Lexus dealership, 1-800-Got-Junk) in a respectful manner.

Let’s wait their response after the next snow before calling anyone stupid.  And make sure to send a little thank you note if they indeed improve their operations.

They did not remove that sign? Must have missed that one.

In that case I'd say 1-800-got-junk is fair game. Dissect away.

h' 1.0 said:

Um.... wait... 1-800-Got-Junk?  We got a total blow-off there....

Not malicious, just lazy/apathetic. 

Keep in mind that this is also the same business that was valet loading in the bike lane a few weeks ago. They seem to be becoming a repeat offender.

h' 1.0 said:

And even if you suspected malicious intent on somebody's part, there is no value in framing your initial contact any differently than you would if you were calling someone's attention to an apparent unintentional oversight.

Chi Lowe 12.5+ mi said:

Not to be an apologist for insensitive behavior, but I'd be willing to bet this was benign ignorance / old habits.  Probably safe to bet that before today, management at the theater probably never thought about where the snow goes, and ops has probably always put it into the street before there was a PBL.

h' is right: more snow will illuminate whether the theater intends to clean up its act - or just its sidewalks again :).

That very well may be true, but it doesn't excuse them for not using common sense. Just because no one has complained about something doesn't make it okay to do. The valets and snow shovelers should know better.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

It's also a large operation. The person who answers PR emails probably has no clue how snow gets shoveled or how the valet sets up their staging area until some complaint makes them look into the issue. It's important to bring up issues like this with management because otherwise they'll never know that a problem exists, but give them the befit of the doubt that they hadn't thought about the issue until you asked the question.

Without doing any research, how many of you would know where your office puts its snow?

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

Not malicious, just lazy/apathetic. 

Keep in mind that this is also the same business that was valet loading in the bike lane a few weeks ago. They seem to be becoming a repeat offender.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service