The Chainlink

While listening to to the Waddle and Silvy Show from 9 to 1 pm on 06/07/11 on ESPN radio I got to hear how fun it would be if they intentionally doored cyclists and how sometimes that would just feel great. This went on for about 20 minutes.

Well I didn't think that would be great. And as some may know I'm vocal. ;-) So I tried  tweeting with Silvy @WaddleandSilvy for those that tweet and he said that the best course of action would be to send an e-mail to: waddleandsilvy@espnchicago.com

The Apology we got on 06/08/11 was a joke. Happened 45 minutes into the show and was terrible.

At the bottom of Espn.com there is also a Contact Us that goes to corporate vs the address above that is only read by the show hosts. We need to get on this!

If you wanna hear the comments they have a podcast http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd=1#/podcenter/?callsign=WMVPA... . and it happens about 2 hours 14 minutes into the show if memory serves. Started out with making fun of spandex shorts and then went on to murder.

In light of the fact that ESPN already had Tony Kornheiser voice his opinions on cyclists I doubt they are looking for more trouble so it would be a good time to get the message out. Watch out for us! Dooring Can KILL us! etc...

And Here is a list of sponsors of Waddle and Silvy: They should hear about our  displeasure as well!

Performance Bikes!!! Harris Bank, Golfsmith, Jimmy Johns (they do bike deliveries, hello!), John Chico's Men's Wear, Triton College, Wells Fargo, PNC Bank, Ameristar, Home Depot, Johnsonville, Gerber Collision & Glass, Studio 41 Remodelling, 

Views: 1475

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see, i would put forth that I'm upset cause the ESPN peeps have a radio show and the people here have a forum. We reach FAR fewer people than ESPN radio. So a few peeps on the forum that say they are gonna stick something in a guys spokes vs 2 guys on a nationally syndicated radio show. Different. Ok back on track.

Who says dressing gay doesn't attract girls?  

I think that Waddle is a lost cause.  The shock jock type just feeds on the controversy.   It doesn't matter what brand of bozo (s)he is (politics, sports, current events, Dr. Laura BS..)  they are all the same.  The more letters this idiot gets the more ESPN is going to assume he has a HUGE audience.  There is no such thing as bad publicity when someone is a celebrity media talking head.   Look at that idiot wig-wearing douchebag Trump.   He's more popular now than he was 3 months ago.

i'm workin on a list of sponsors. james they arent shock jocks they are meat heads and those folks are dangerous. yesterday when he apologized he said he felt in danger behind the wheel of his big dog (he drives a huge suv) because of the actions of cyclists.

we'll send e-mails to the sponsors the show and corporate. i dont want him canned i want an real apology and evidence of corrective action. donation to something bike related, particpation in a bike event whatever.

The user deleted their own thread. No Chainlink management involved.

Anonymous said:

As to ESPN removing offending materials, it would seem that a similar tactic was taken here on ChainLink to expunge the mi sog y nous comments about Sarah Palin's desire to have something between her legs when visiting Chicago during the Bike The Drive event.

I look forward to engaging in some correspondence with the sponsors about this.

I really like the idea that's been raised of making a goal of the communications TW and MG's involvement in a biking event.  L.A.T.E. Ride seems like it could be ideal.

I'll admit to listening to sports radio, but I do not watch local television news.  Isn't MG a sportscaster for a local network affiliate?  I wonder if his bosses there would appreciate his comments and shouldn't be added to the list of folks that could receive an email relaying displeasure over what he said.

Gabe said:

i'm workin on a list of sponsors. james they arent shock jocks they are meat heads and those folks are dangerous. yesterday when he apologized he said he felt in danger behind the wheel of his big dog (he drives a huge suv) because of the actions of cyclists.

we'll send e-mails to the sponsors the show and corporate. i dont want him canned i want an real apology and evidence of corrective action. donation to something bike related, particpation in a bike event whatever.

People,

Don't you think that this is getting blown a little out of proportion?  I'm all for cycling rights and safety on the road, but an ignorant comment that some guy on the radio that the majority of the population doesn't listen to doesn't seem like something that requires this much of an uproar. Radio talks-people are historically known for these kind of comments - they get blasted for it then it all fizzels out when people realize that they don't really hold any sort of power in our community. What they say or don't say on the radio ultimately has no real effect on the freedom of decision of the public - lets give our fellow man a little credit.

My advice is pick your fights - wouldn't you consider proactive events sponsoring eduction for bike etiquette and road safety more productive than stringing up some sports enthusiast to show "oh we got him for saying that!".

Take it or leave it,

B

Indeed a lot said...but I'll add my $.02...I think that most of us realize, that there is a small sub-section of the population that is: not bright, impressionable, has difficulty knowing right from wrong, could be swayed to do something irresponsible/stupid if cajoled by a fetishized-from-childhood celebrity.

That said, and considering that this act (dooring) has killed more than a few people, and injured scores more, it's incumbent upon these figures to exercise some due care-personal censorship, on what they say. Said another way, very not cool-

I ride to work everyday....winter, summer, rain, snow...(today sucked a little...got my new smartphone wet) and for anyone in a four or more wheeler to mock us, considering how dangerous being doored can be is pretty upsetting. For those of us who commute year-round, that's saying something...for those that sit in the comfort of a armored vehicle, with heat, AC, bumpers and really zero effort to get from place-to-place, that's also saying something (lazy is one I can think of).

-

Yeah, Brian I've picked this as a battle. In his apology he said he "felt threatened while in his Big Dog by the behavior of cyclists." He drives a BIG SUV that he speaks about often on the show. He's also 6'something in the area of 200 lbs. Not only was it dumb comments about dooring, it was one of the worst, half assed, apologies I've heard. If you're gonna say sorry then follow it with a "but" then don't bother.

Andrew, jason, howard, eddie, et al. I had a list and left it in the truck...Yay me! I can recall, Home Depot, John Chico's mens wear, Jimmy Johns (pssst they do bike deliveries) I have a friend grabbing the list for me and will post it later this evening assuming he finds it ;-)

And Mark Giangreco is a sports reporter for Channel 7 (CBS?) it's the channel that's owned by ...ESPN. I have no qaulms with dropping a line to them as well.

more later. ;-) Also I have Monday off and wouldn't be averse to standing in front of the studio with a sign that says Tom Waddle Wants to Door You! or some such thing ;-)

Big difference between an intentionally tasteless comment about a pandering Presidential hopeful and someone who want's to inflict intentional bodily harm against a person legally riding a bike.

I didn't get to hear the episode, but in the beginning minutes they were going on about a d-bag cyclist that shouted to a group of breast cancer walkers to back to the suburbs.

Do cyclists brake some rules, yep and so do motorists,but in no case have I ever heard of a cyclist killing or seriously injuring someone inside a car.

Mike, yep it was that story that eventually led to the dooring garbage. would be around 12 in the show podcast but from an earlier post it seems they may have deleted it.

It's the fact that's they have this mentality whether 1 or 1000 people listen to it, especially someone who is a public figure. But hey I wish I could read a teleprompter and tell you what already happened in a game.

Like minds stick together, next thing you know a group of Frat boys/over testosteroned alpha males will actually do something like that as a prank then it will be a tragedy on the news as a man/woman was doored, in the hospital or dead.

Brian said:

People,

Don't you think that this is getting blown a little out of proportion?  I'm all for cycling rights and safety on the road, but an ignorant comment that some guy on the radio that the majority of the population doesn't listen to doesn't seem like something that requires this much of an uproar. Radio talks-people are historically known for these kind of comments - they get blasted for it then it all fizzels out when people realize that they don't really hold any sort of power in our community. What they say or don't say on the radio ultimately has no real effect on the freedom of decision of the public - lets give our fellow man a little credit.

My advice is pick your fights - wouldn't you consider proactive events sponsoring eduction for bike etiquette and road safety more productive than stringing up some sports enthusiast to show "oh we got him for saying that!".

Take it or leave it,

B

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service