The Chainlink

Gears...If you got'em use'em...Cadence is the key to distance, speed, and efficiency.

I just had to come out and say this because the number of people on geared bikes that doesn't shift are just hurting their health, fit, and the traffic flow on LSD Trail. It doesn't matter if you have 3, 5, 6, 10, 12, 18, 20, 21, 22, 27, or 30 gears, cadence should be kept in mind. although it is especially important for us recreational riders and racers.

First, what is cadence? Cadence is how many times a minute one fully rotates their pedals, simply put; its your legs' RPM.

Mashing does not work and here is why...When riders are mashing the pedals(pedaling at low cadence, exerting too much force on their legs) their muscles will start dumping lactic acid, and their legs will start burning.

Spinning too fast also does not work and here is why...When the rider starts to spin(pedaling at a high cadence, exerting too little force on their legs) their heart rate shoots sky high and before they know it they are out of breath.

Instead the key is to find a good cadence where the loads are shared equally between the heart and the legs. Numerous studies have been done and most of them point towards a cadence range between 70 and 90 seems to be most efficient for riders. Most of the inexperienced riders tend to stay on too low of a cadence thinking its more efficient than a higher cadence. So let's keep them legs spinning at the right rate...It will put less stress on your knees and your heart as well as make you a faster, stronger rider...

-Ali

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just curious, how does not having a high cadence hurt the traffic 'flow' on the LSP?
Amber K said:
Just curious, how does not having a high cadence hurt the traffic 'flow' on the LSP?

Mashers will have a harder time accelerating as needed.
When you're turning a big gear really slowly, like you would be if you started from a stop while still in a high gear, it takes you longer to get your legs moving at the same speed they were when you stopped.

Amber K said:
I also ride with my cadence right around 85 or 90. I am more interested in the drills to pedal in circles though, anybody mind running through a couple things I could do to improve my pedal stroke? Or is the one-leg thing all there is to it?
I got one of those bike roller trainer things recently. I have only used it maybe 6 times. It's awesome outside I just bought it as it's getting warm so why would I use it at all right now? I have found that this thing does make you more conscious of your cadence and efficiency. Cut out the stopping and starting, distractions, and noise of the streets. With that I have found that I am a really sloppy cyclist.
The trainer forces you to ride straight. It's 3ft wide, if you swerve too much you fall on your ass. You are forced to ride efficiently from the stand point that you really can't shove the bike forward or backward. With out other distracting sounds (aside from the TV HAR HAR!) You can hear the rollers slowing and speeding up. I try to keep it to a constant buzz rather than a woosh woosh sound meaning that I am keeping a constant speed.
I don't have a bike computer or other way of measuring my efficacy. However I think this method kinda works and makes my lazy TV time more worth while.

PS: I know the penny farthing does fit on the rollers. I will post a video once I have enough beer to try it and enough time to heal from the impending youtube gold that is bound to follow. My pain is your gain.

Vando said:
I also ride with my cadence right around 85 or 90. I am more interested in the drills to pedal in circles though, anybody mind running through a couple things I could do to improve my pedal stroke? Or is the one-leg thing all there is to it?
jamimaria said:
I was wondering about particular exercises that you might do, or things to envision to increase cadence.

If you don't have a computer with cadence, any songs that could be hummed to approximate a decent cadence?

You can ballpark you cadence by using Sheldon Brown's gear calculator:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Put your gear information in and select "MPH @ 90 RPM" for "Gear Units". So, for example, if you are in a gear that is 15 mph @ 90 rpm, and your computer says you are going at 15 mph, then your cadence will be pretty close to 90 rpm.
Gotta discourage you from potentially seriously hurting yourself for the sake of comedy here.

Maybe you could have someone help you balance while on the rollers. And how would you get off that bike if someone wasn't there to hold it steady while dismounting?

steve rulz said:
I got one of those bike roller trainer things recently. I have only used it maybe 6 times. It's awesome outside I just bought it as it's getting warm so why would I use it at all right now? I have found that this thing does make you more conscious of your cadence and efficiency. Cut out the stopping and starting, distractions, and noise of the streets. With that I have found that I am a really sloppy cyclist.
The trainer forces you to ride straight. It's 3ft wide, if you swerve too much you fall on your ass. You are forced to ride efficiently from the stand point that you really can't shove the bike forward or backward. With out other distracting sounds (aside from the TV HAR HAR!) You can hear the rollers slowing and speeding up. I try to keep it to a constant buzz rather than a woosh woosh sound meaning that I am keeping a constant speed.
I don't have a bike computer or other way of measuring my efficacy. However I think this method kinda works and makes my lazy TV time more worth while.

PS: I know the penny farthing does fit on the rollers. I will post a video once I have enough beer to try it and enough time to heal from the impending youtube gold that is bound to follow. My pain is your gain.

Vando said:
That's not really my point. I understand candence. I would think that the 'flow' is more affected by non-cyclist. Increasing your cadence is only going to make you faster, and it doesn't seem like there needs to be more speed demons on the LSP wearing spandex or not.

envane x said:
Amber K said:

Increasing your cadence isn't necessarily going to make you go faster. Spinning away in a low gear would be equivalent to having a hard time turning the pedals over in a high gear. You're going to roll along slowly either way.

Amber K said:
That's not really my point. I understand candence. I would think that the 'flow' is more affected by non-cyclist. Increasing your cadence is only going to make you faster, and it doesn't seem like there needs to be more speed demons on the LSP wearing spandex or not.

envane x said:
Amber K said:

Yeah, probably not for most people.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Increasing your cadence isn't necessarily going to make you go faster. Spinning away in a low gear would be equivalent to having a hard time turning the pedals over in a high gear. You're going to roll along slowly either way.

Amber K said:

envane x said:
Amber K said:

Probably not what?

Either way - low gear, high cadence or high gear, low cadence - you'll be going similar speeds.

Amber K said:
Yeah, probably not for most people.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

Amber K said:

envane x said:
Amber K said:

Increasing your cadence isn't necessarily going to make you go faster.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service