The Chainlink

FS: Awesome Winter Commuter/utility bike-- Price Drop: $350

so I'm pretty bummed about this, just finished t

he build, but this frame is just too small for me.  commuted 22 miles on it for a few days, and just too small. 

so anyway, here it is.  a really great, cross check-type winter commuter build.  rides a lot like a cross check actually. 

Schwinn Cross Cut  54.5 actual TT, round about 56 virtual TT
short ST, but comes with long odd-sized seatpost.  Cro-Mo frame. 

brand new 3x8 Alivio rapid fire shifters
new Origin8 risers
Salsa stem
Ultegra Triple Crank, 172.5, octalink BB
Ultegra FD
XT 8 speed RD
pretty new shimano 8speed cassette
front wheel is Campy Record to Mavic, with campy skewer (6 speed era, spins perfectly smooth, rim is in good shape)
rear wheel is Bontrager Racelite, with campy skewer
Vittoria Rando 28c tires, not the contis in teh pic.  
Planet Bike Fenders with new hardware. 
seatpost is chained against QR theft, with a tube sleeve so the frame doesn't get marred, and so you don't lose the odd-sized seatpost. 
Tektro Oryx cantis with new salmon all weather Yokozuna pads
no-name brake levers
ODI aluminum bar ends with allen tighteners
no pedals or saddle.  I have a beater saddle I can throw on for you.  MKS pedals for an additional $20. 

Frame has mounts for front and rear racks, as well. 

$350

need to get rid of this so I can finish the new build and get back to riding to work rather than taking the bus (which is going to drive me to drink...more)  thanks!

Views: 1200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

bump

last bump before I part it out.  price drop to $350

This is a nice bike, well set up for commuting.  I've dealt with Colin on another forum.  He went out of his way to hand deliver parts to another person who was shipping me some stuff, just to save me some money.  I sent him payment via PayPal, and he delivered the parts.  Nice bike, good guy.

That was my impression when I first saw the ad, just going off of what I've seen for sale at Working Bikes, shops around the city and online.   I don't know a lot about bikes though, so I hope I don't sound ignorant.  

I do like the style, however, and have been looking for something similar (a little bit wider tires, more upright) perhaps for kicking around town.  Colin, would this fit a 6'1 guy?

i'm aware of that, and most likely will end up doing it, but it's too bad because it's actually a really nice bike.  The fact that it says Schwinn is misleading, it rides really nicely and is actually considerably light for the build.  not trying to upsell, i'm genuinely just bummed it doesn't fit because it rules pretty hard.  fwiw, this is a much higher quality build then anything at working bikes.  if the frame was a cross check or a pake or something, this would be a $600 bike given the build.  a new bike for $400 wouldn't have ultegra parts, salsa parts, excellent tires, etc.  it would be a chinese built aluminum frame with bottom of the line shimano "no model" parts and terrible alex wheels.  just saying. 

sadly, no.  i'm about 5'11, give or take, and it's too small for me. 

Brendan said:

That was my impression when I first saw the ad, just going off of what I've seen for sale at Working Bikes, shops around the city and online.   I don't know a lot about bikes though, so I hope I don't sound ignorant.  

I do like the style, however, and have been looking for something similar (a little bit wider tires, more upright) perhaps for kicking around town.  Colin, would this fit a 6'1 guy?

This is a really ignorant statement.

Regardless of were it was built (probably Japan or Taiwan) that is still a Chrome-moly frame of decent quality.  It may say Schwinn on it but it is not one of the crappy, weighs a ton, Chicago made electra-weld frames. 

The frame is not really what you are paying for, all of the parts on it have value fact if you had a frame you wanted to build this would not be a bad buy,  Hell, the tires alone were over 80 bucks new! 

This is a well built bike with good components on a quality frame; it is worth every bit of 350 dollars; show me a bike of equal quality going for less than that.

M.A.R.K. said:

Part it out.. 350 for an old Schwinn frame is way pricey, no matter the components(that is really what you are paying for).

While US built Cross Cut frames are here and there, not very sought after built up in my experience. Especially when you can get something new/equal for the same price, or 50.00 more.

thanks for the support comments guys.  I don't really want to encourage an argument in a thread where I'm trying to sell a bike, but I mostly agree with NotoriousDug up there.  People who know about bikes, i.e mechanics and lifer bike nerds, compliment me on the bike, and specifically, the build, all the time.  people who aren't as well versed look at the bike and say, "looks like a hybrid.  I can get one of those new for that price." 

anyway, it's a nicer bike than it would appear.  it rides great, if someone wants to make an offer, great.  if not, i'll part it out.  it would just be a bummer to not see it get ridden, as it's a pretty ideal utility bike/winter commuter.  despite the schwinn badge and all ;)

Well, after seeing some knowledgeable people weigh in on it, I'm convinced it's a good deal and it really does look nice, too.  Too bad it's too small.  That's been my problem when looking around for similar deals -- I can't get the size right.  

Good luck with it, whatever you decide to do.  

Colin DL said:

sadly, no.  i'm about 5'11, give or take, and it's too small for me. 

Brendan said:

hey thanks, and good luck with your search. 

As a general rule, people should keep negative comments out of FS threads.

I think the price is more than fair.  If it was my size I'd be on it (it's a hair too big.)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service