The Chainlink

FS: '70s or '80s Japanese Road Bike - Takara Advantage - $200

For sale is a vintage late '70s or early '80s Takara road bike. One picture is included in this post; many more are available on my Flickr page here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stormdog42/albums/72157678773460803

This is a Japanese steel frame bike. It has 27" steel rims, a friction-shifted 2 x 6 geartrain, and side-pull cantilever brakes. The frame is of lugged construction, and going by labels, is 4130 cro-moly steel with a 1018 high-tension steel fork.

The bright red and white paint makes this bike eye-catching. Many lug fittings have an outline of their complimentary color to really make them pop. There are some minor scratches and rust (I took care to highlight some of that in the detail pictures), but overall it's in pretty decent shape, though it will need new cabling and a tuneup in the near future. The white-wrapped drop bars really add to the look as well.

Included is a similarly vintage Soubitez light and generator system.  Rather than one of the typical bottle dynamos that rubs the tire sidewall, this one has a large wheel held against the rear tire tread just below the chainstays. This is a somewhat unusual design as far as I can tell, and seems to me less likely to cause premature tire wear. The system works, and both headlight and taillight light up when ridden.

I'm about 5'11" and the frame is a good fit for me. If you'd like more specific measurements, please ask and I can get them for you.

I'd be happy to meet people where I live in downtown Evanston to show the bike! Please contact me by email with questions, to arrange a meeting, or anything else.

stormdog42@gmail.com

Thanks for looking!

Views: 1152

Reply to This

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service