The Chainlink

I have had a good number of questions and requests about accommodating smaller cyclists on my bikes. And I am now starting to explore what it would take to make my frame design in a smaller size.

As of now I have had individuals as short as 5'4" on the frames, but seeing as there is a Under 5 foot 1 inch group, I would appreciate any insight (being 6' 2" myself) into the challenges you find - particularly related to a city/commuter bike, such as what I make. 

What size wheels, length cranks, components and accessories that do/don't work.

Thanks for any input.

Levi

owner/builder

Legacy Frameworks 

Views: 3658

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Levi. Unfortunately this Sunday I am committed to volunteer at PAWS Chicago from 8am to 2pm and then with Mercy for Animals 3pm to 7pm. The following weekend I will be out of town. I'll send you an email to see if we can find a good day to meet.

Legacy Frameworks said:

Hey Steve, this prototype bike is floating around at this point. It is currently in Oak Park, but if you would like to try it out, shoot me an email levi at legacyframeworks dot com and I we can set something up where/when it would be convenient for you.

Also, I will be at the cargo bike roll call coming up this sunday in bronzeville and at open streets milwalkee on the 15th

Steve: 5-7mi said:

Where can I try out your bike?

5'4" here. I currently ride a cheap single speed that's 49cm with 700's and it's just too tall. I have to use curbs to put my foot down while seated. And the stand over is uncomfortable. My seat is also maxed out at it's forward position and I still find myself reaching too much and wanting a shorter frame. Can you build a 46cm track style frame? 650cc would work just fine. 

Just for you Marco      and I only tease ya because I know you can take a joke

Hey Marco, this new size has been test ridden by multiple people starting at 5' tall and they have found it comfortable. The bikes I make are more city/commuter bikes. They are more relaxed steering and upright riding. If you are looking for a custom fit track bike, I know Michael at Humble Frameworks http://www.humbleframeworks.cc has done a few for smaller folks.

Marco Rayos said:

5'4" here. I currently ride a cheap single speed that's 49cm with 700's and it's just too tall. I have to use curbs to put my foot down while seated. And the stand over is uncomfortable. My seat is also maxed out at it's forward position and I still find myself reaching too much and wanting a shorter frame. Can you build a 46cm track style frame? 650cc would work just fine. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service