The Chainlink

I looked for this frame on Craigslist for three years before finding it. Sadly last summer it cracked at the bottom bracket.

If you are a welder, or know one who might be interested in giving this a repair - let me know.

Could use a good home.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/4880474923.html

Views: 1312

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not worth the effort for a 501 bike. 

This is a bizarre break though.  It makes me wonder if the original framebuilder just got the seat tube too hot when originally brazing the BB onto it and damaged the temper of the steel and this failure was bound to happen sooner or later. I would fear after spending a lot of cash on this single repair, and repainting, if there are any other issues with this frame and after replacing one tube on it other issues might show up again in the future. Maybe this frame was built on a Monday. This frame was built in Wisconsin after all.  Could have been the day after a typicaly gruesome packers loss...

If this was a butted 531 frame it might be worth it to repair, but I wouldn't spend the cash on this frame when you could probably find another whole similar bike with this frame -although with a 59cm size that might be a little more tricky.  

I concur. I had a Trek of the same year and tubing (and color) a few (ok perhaps 10) years ago and on that bike, the rear end suffered from a weird swaying when loaded when I stood up off the saddle. It was painful to sell it as it was a fantastic bike when not loaded, but what is the use of bike one can't load up with camping gear or groceries or cat food or whatever?

Self-sealing Stembolt said:

Not worth the effort for a 501 bike. 

This is a bizarre break though.  It makes me wonder if the original framebuilder just got the seat tube too hot when originally brazing the BB onto it and damaged the temper of the steel and this failure was bound to happen sooner or later. I would fear after spending a lot of cash on this single repair, and repainting, if there are any other issues with this frame and after replacing one tube on it other issues might show up again in the future. Maybe this frame was built on a Monday. This frame was built in Wisconsin after all.  Could have been the day after a typicaly gruesome packers loss...

If this was a butted 531 frame it might be worth it to repair, but I wouldn't spend the cash on this frame when you could probably find another whole similar bike with this frame -although with a 59cm size that might be a little more tricky.  

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service