The Chainlink

Been working on this one for a while.  It's pretty much fused.

When at it with a pipe wrench the other night, but no go.

Favorite trick?  Thanks.

(FWIW the frame is exactly like this one:)

Views: 15140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When you go to reinstall assure the frame tube and thge post are CLEAN, then grease the tube (the industrial grade never seize compunds are designed for the purpose...they have copper based, nickel based and others...

But the best advise has to be every time ya change yer clocks pull the post and clean/grease it post. This can be the best couple of minutes you'll spend and gives ya good reason to give the whole area a lil' slap and tickle. Run a rag over the frame (a touch of wax makes it easier the next time) and give the post a light rub with a light sand paper like 180grit wet/dry emery or one of them scouring pads (those 3M metal polishing pads do wonders to smooth the post surface but they don't remove dings or galling) and be sure to clean off the gritty residue.

Sweat, road splash and dust/dirt all cause problems so keeping them out will save the greif...

Jeff

The Chicagoan

Cool you got it out. 

I'll add one more method I don't readily see here.  It's not mine, but I have recently used it successfully on a carbon post stuck in a steel frame for at least 6 years.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54WhdrLKKvY&noredirect=1

I had used PB blaster a few times over the years and pipe through the rails to no avail.  Finally saw this video and thought I would try again.  I did prep with PB blaster for a few days first, and then started pouring the hot water on the seat tube, and began to hear metal "pinging", like your steam heat radiator coming on.  Took the seat and upper clamp assembly off and put the lower head of the clamp assembly into a bench vise upside-down (frame up top, near the ceiling) and used the frame itself for leverage. For the first time in years, I could move the post, although in very short, stacotic movements that were anything but smooth.  Had to finally enlist a friend to help so that we together could get enough leverage to both spin the frame and lift it vertically off the seatpost.  Took maybe 3 minutes once we both were on it and it popped off.  The seatpost clamp where it had been clamped in the vise is a little chewed up but otherwise, still perfectly usable.

I would caution about using PB Blaster.  It's highly toxic and smells awful.  I took the water bottle bolts out and sprayed in through there and spun the frame around in the stand for a few days to get it spread. Once I got the post out and thought I was done, I noticed PB blaster coming out everywhere;  brake levers, stem, bottom bracket, frame holes all the way to the rear dropouts.  I ended up having to overhaul the bottom bracket and headset bearings and in the future would recommend removing these items before starting in with any solvent spray.

Sounds like a tragic waste of peanut butter to me.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service