The Chainlink

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 5, 2012

For more information, contact:
Chris Mailing, President, Ten 27 Cycles

847.864.7660 x 16; chris@ten27cycles.com

EVANSTON’S TEN 27 CYCLES CLOSING STORE

Liquidation Sale Offers Customer Deep Discounts on Bicycles, Clothing, More

EVANSTON, IL November 5, 2012 – Evanston’s premier bicycle shop, Ten 27 Cycles, will close its doors after more than 40 years at 1027 Davis Street in Evanston, IL. Beginning today, a storewide clearance event will give customers the opportunity to get incredible deals for early holiday shopping and any of their cycling needs.

“Unfortunately, several factors have made this closure necessary,” explains owner Chris Mailing. “The name change we executed last spring has not gone as planned. In the context of a soft economy, the expense and difficulties of that name change have been too great to bear. We sincerely regret disappointing our loyal customers. That our store has served the cycling community for so long is a testament to our devoted staff and the enthusiasm of our customers.”

All merchandise is currently discounted 15 to 40 percent, with additional deep markdowns to be taken on any remaining items over the next few weeks. In addition, quantity discounts on any purchase of three or more items will be offered, but for a limited time. The sale will continue until everything is sold.

Customers who shop the closing sale early will enjoy their pick of the best selection, including bicycles, clothing, parts and accessories. Return trips later in the sale will result in the best prices on remaining inventory. “It is rare to have current merchandise by the popular brands we carry discounted to such an extent,” says Mailing. “We are also selling our rental bikes, used kids’ bikes and used trainers at favorable prices.” Before the sale ends, even the furniture and fixtures will be available for sale.

Gift cards and store credits will be honored through the sale. All sales will be final. Store hours are Monday through Thursday, 11:00 am to 7:00 pm; Friday, 11:00 am to 6:00 pm, Saturday, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm; and Sunday, Noon to 5:00 pm. For more information, visit the store web site at www.ten27cycles.com. Visitors can sign up on the website to receive email notification of additional details about the closing sale as they become available.

# # #

PREVIOUS RELEASE: Evanston Bicycle Shop Sports New Name, “Ten 27 Cycles”

http://www.ten27cycles.com/merchant/660/files/PressReleasev2.pdf

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /
    Kimberly Pierceall, Prez
    Grotto Communications, Inc.

847 475 9724
    kim@grottocom.com
    web:  http://www.grottocom.com

blog: http://grottocom.com/blog

Grotto on Facebook
    Grotto on Twitter

Views: 3912

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I stopped in today; it was super-duper busy. I'm wondering if I can hold out over time to get a smoking deal on a new helmet.

Just a bump for Chris Mailing and the shop.  I picked up a few things there on Friday, tires and small things like patch kits for my boys, etc.  There are still a number of nice bikes of all sorts, from commuters to time trial bikes.  Fenders, clothes, shoes, accessories, &c, &c.  Help the crew close out strong, so everyone gets paid and you get what you need for your ride.

(PSA - I have no affiliation with the shop)

Reminder that Chris's Club for Ten27 / Turin is hosting the State Championship Cyclocross race at Montrose harbor this Sunday December 2nd. Events starting at 8:30 and running till dark, lots of fun to spectate or race. www.chicrosscup.com

http://evanston.patch.com/articles/wisconsin-chain-will-take-over-t...

http://evanstonnow.com/story/business/bill-smith/2012-11-26/53387/w...

http://evanston.suntimes.com/16649829-781/top-bike-shop-to-roll-int...

Just as rocket_launcher predicted, Wisconsin's Wheel & Sprocket has made its public announcement of taking over Ten 27 later this winter, leaving Chris Mailing and his staff in place to run it.

"The store will continue to sponsor some of the same activities events and clubs it has in the past, according to the release. Those include its cycling club, the Northwestern University Triathlon Team and the Illinois State Cycle-Cross Championships, which take place Dec. 2 at Montrose Harbor in Chicago."

Just got this via email

November 23, 2013

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

For more information, contact :

Chris Kegel, President Wheel & Sprocket, Inc.

414-839-3941

chris.kegel@wheelandsprocket.net

Wheel & Sprocket, Inc. Comes to Evanston, IL

Wisconsin’s largest, and one of the country’s leading, bicycle retailers will be opening its first Illinois location in early 2013. The new store will be located in the former long-time bicycle shop located at 1027 Davis Street in Evanston.

Wheel & Sprocket will celebrate their 40th year in operation this coming year. Chris Kegel is the sole owner of the company’s six Wisconsin locations and one internet operation. “Our vision is that everyone enjoys their bikes from Wheel & Sprocket. Through our shared passion for cycling and commitment to being more than fair to our customers, we will work hard to earn customers’ business”, Kegel said. Company-wide over 150 associates are employed during the peak cycling season. Every associate is encouraged to make a positive difference in our community through involvement in cycling clubs, teams, various charity events. These include America’s Dairyland (TOAD), the International Cycling Classic (Superweek), IS Corp Team, Trocadero Team, Hollander Team, UW-Milw. Team, UPAF Ride for the Arts, MACC Fund’s Trek 100, ADA Tour de Cure, JDRF’s ride, Milwaukee Zoo Ride, Ride of Silence, MS 150 Best Dam Bike Ride and many more.

Kegel leads by example often as a head mechanic and supporter of these rides as well a founder and current board members of Bikes Belong and Bike PAC; current board member for the National Bicycle Dealers Association; current board president of the Wisconsin Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin and former board member of the International Mountain Bike Association and the Chicagoland Area Bicycle Dealers Association and former board president of the League of America Bicyclist. Kegel is a bike-to-work commuter and has done extensive family bike tours include a coast-to-coast ride in 2010 and plans a similar bike ride this summer.

Over the years, Wheel & Sprocket has received honors including the industry’s three time industry’s national “Retailer of the Year” recipient, “#1 Trek retailer in the US” as well as various awards to for cycling advocacy on the local, state and national levels.

“Opening a store in Illinois is a new venture that is a good fit for both Wheel & Sprocket and Chris Mailing”, the former owner of Ten 27, Kegel explained. Mailing stated further, “I am glad that Wheel and Sprocket is going to continue the long tradition of serving the cycling needs of Evanston and the cycling community of the greater Chicago area from 1027 Davis Street. I am thrilled that so many of the staff from Ten 27 Cycles, including me, are able to be a part of this new shop.”

Ten 27 Cycles is currently liquidating inventory and fixtures between now and Dec. 31, 2012. Wheel & Sprocket will open the new operation later this winter with the formal grand open date to be announced at a later time. The company will continue sponsoring some of the activities, events and clubs that Ten 27 Cycles has sponsored in the past, such as: the store’s cycling club, the Northwestern University Triathlon Team, Illinois State Cycle-Cross Championships that will be held this weekend in Chicago’s Montrose Harbor on Sunday, December 2, 2012.

Further questions can be directed to Chris Kegel at 414-839-3941.

Other Wheel & Sprocket current awards include: Gold Level Top 100 Retailer in America (for over 20 years), Bicycle Magazine’s Top 100 Bike Shop (2011), Bicycle Friendly Gold Business Award, International Mountain Bike Assoc. Platinum Retailer, Trek Bicycle’s Legends Award (Hall of Fame honor-early inductee), and Terra Trike Top 20 Dealer (2012), Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Top 100 Workplace and a top tier retailer for Electra and Felt bicycles.

Good news, Wheel & Sprocket out of Milwaukee is taking over the store. They have a good reputation in MKE.

Here's a recent news story: http://evanstonnow.com/story/business/bill-smith/2012-11-26/53387/w...

yes, I agree. I still have two great pairs of (bontrager) shorts I purchased from W & S in 2010 on the SAGBRAW ride.  great news for evanston and far north siders.

DB

First time looking at this thread. If they hadn't changed the name I would have been very interested in the closing, but as such I'd forgotten which store it was and assumed it was some small shop I'd never been to.

Wheel & Sprocket was a LBS when I was an undergrad at Marquette in the mid-1990's. Knew lots of people that got bikes there, mountain bikes were very popular then. I may be mistaken, but I think they used to have a downtown MKE location.

dan brown said:

yes, I agree. I still have two great pairs of (bontrager) shorts I purchased from W & S in 2010 on the SAGBRAW ride.  great news for evanston and far north siders.

DB

http://evanston.patch.com/articles/turin-bicycles-will-reopen-in-ra...

In "You Can't Tell the Bike Shop Without A Scorecard" News:

Lee Katz has announced the reopening of Turin Bike Shop at 4710 N Damen, come March.

Turin Evanston (Lee Katz & Chris Mailing)>Ten 27 (Mailing)>Wheel & Sprocket (still Mailing)

|

Turin Denver (Katz) -- Turin Ravenswood (Katz)

I'm not sure "still Mailing" is completely correct w.r.t. Wheel & Sprocket.  I heard he was going to be the store manager, not an owner.

Yes, you're probably right, Skip.  I don't know if he is a franchisee with W&S or just an employee, but he still runs the place.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service