The Chainlink

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 5, 2012

For more information, contact:
Chris Mailing, President, Ten 27 Cycles

847.864.7660 x 16; chris@ten27cycles.com

EVANSTON’S TEN 27 CYCLES CLOSING STORE

Liquidation Sale Offers Customer Deep Discounts on Bicycles, Clothing, More

EVANSTON, IL November 5, 2012 – Evanston’s premier bicycle shop, Ten 27 Cycles, will close its doors after more than 40 years at 1027 Davis Street in Evanston, IL. Beginning today, a storewide clearance event will give customers the opportunity to get incredible deals for early holiday shopping and any of their cycling needs.

“Unfortunately, several factors have made this closure necessary,” explains owner Chris Mailing. “The name change we executed last spring has not gone as planned. In the context of a soft economy, the expense and difficulties of that name change have been too great to bear. We sincerely regret disappointing our loyal customers. That our store has served the cycling community for so long is a testament to our devoted staff and the enthusiasm of our customers.”

All merchandise is currently discounted 15 to 40 percent, with additional deep markdowns to be taken on any remaining items over the next few weeks. In addition, quantity discounts on any purchase of three or more items will be offered, but for a limited time. The sale will continue until everything is sold.

Customers who shop the closing sale early will enjoy their pick of the best selection, including bicycles, clothing, parts and accessories. Return trips later in the sale will result in the best prices on remaining inventory. “It is rare to have current merchandise by the popular brands we carry discounted to such an extent,” says Mailing. “We are also selling our rental bikes, used kids’ bikes and used trainers at favorable prices.” Before the sale ends, even the furniture and fixtures will be available for sale.

Gift cards and store credits will be honored through the sale. All sales will be final. Store hours are Monday through Thursday, 11:00 am to 7:00 pm; Friday, 11:00 am to 6:00 pm, Saturday, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm; and Sunday, Noon to 5:00 pm. For more information, visit the store web site at www.ten27cycles.com. Visitors can sign up on the website to receive email notification of additional details about the closing sale as they become available.

# # #

PREVIOUS RELEASE: Evanston Bicycle Shop Sports New Name, “Ten 27 Cycles”

http://www.ten27cycles.com/merchant/660/files/PressReleasev2.pdf

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /
    Kimberly Pierceall, Prez
    Grotto Communications, Inc.

847 475 9724
    kim@grottocom.com
    web:  http://www.grottocom.com

blog: http://grottocom.com/blog

Grotto on Facebook
    Grotto on Twitter

Views: 3912

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh no! Turin was an institution. I hope Ezra is able to pick up a new gig quickly. What a terrible time of year to close, employee wise.

Apie said:

Please tell him my story!!  I wonder if he would remember. The nicest guy, and looks like he is aging well! Wow its been a long time.

+1. I worked near RRB Evanston and Ed taught me a lot about bicycles (including how pro team mechanics wash bikes). I havent seen him in a long time and didnt realize he was in Chicago.  If you read this, Ed, my daily commuter is still the same bike that you swapped stems on (as if youd remember!)

yes wifey.

So Apie, etc. - between Ed's co-worker and wife, he should get the message of his fan club. 

Steve Courtright said:

Oh....THAT Anne!  How hilarious!  That would be Ed's wife I presume?

Hi Anne!

Julie Hochstadter said:

Anne and him are pretty close :))

Apie said:

Please tell him my story!!  I wonder if he would remember. The nicest guy, and looks like he is aging well! Wow its been a long time.

Ash, it turns out not to be as dire as it first appeared.  I understand that another bike shop will immediately open in the same space with the same employees--Chainlinker rocket_launcher says it will be a Wisconsin-based "Wheel & Sprocket".  The employees I spoke with the other evening all said they've been given guarantees of jobs at least through the winter.  So: no big useless empty storefront (something Evanston really doesn't need more of), no employees thrown out into the cold (at least for several months) and another big bike shop taking the place of a former big bike shop.  But right now the Turin/Ten27 liquidation sale is pretty sweet.

Ash L. said:

Oh no! Turin was an institution. I hope Ezra is able to pick up a new gig quickly. What a terrible time of year to close, employee wise.

Sad to see them go. They were not my LBS because I live in Lakeview, but I did purchase my bike from them because I knew what I wanted and couldn't find it anywhere else. 
If it is Wheel and Sprocket, it should be a nice shop. I stopped into the wheel and sprocket in Kenosha while riding from Chicago to Milwaukee and it was a nice shop with friendly staff.

Hey, Thunder Snow, were there some fenders around for the sale? 

I bought my first new bike at Turin in high school. Such a thrill - I thought that store was the shit. I bought my second new bike this year, 25 years later, and it's still a thrill, but my bike store wonderment has faded a bit. 

Thunder Snow said:

Ash, it turns out not to be as dire as it first appeared.  I understand that another bike shop will immediately open in the same space with the same employees--Chainlinker rocket_launcher says it will be a Wisconsin-based "Wheel & Sprocket".  The employees I spoke with the other evening all said they've been given guarantees of jobs at least through the winter.  So: no big useless empty storefront (something Evanston really doesn't need more of), no employees thrown out into the cold (at least for several months) and another big bike shop taking the place of a former big bike shop.  But right now the Turin/Ten27 liquidation sale is pretty sweet.

Ash L. said:

Sarah, I didn't see any fenders, but since they weren't on my shopping list, I can't guarantee that I didn't walk past some. I'd call the shop. I'm sure they could tell you what's on hand.

@Apie et al.  I showed Ed this thread and he was delighted to see it!  That someone remembered him from so long ago made him light up like a christmas tree.  Ed sends his best.

Cheers

Julie Hochstadter said:

yes wifey.

So Apie, etc. - between Ed's co-worker and wife, he should get the message of his fan club. 

Steve Courtright said:

Oh....THAT Anne!  How hilarious!  That would be Ed's wife I presume?

Hi Anne!

Julie Hochstadter said:

Anne and him are pretty close :))

Apie said:

I just bought an early 70s RRB from CL.  Rode it to work yesterday. :-)

I see other people mentioned Bucephalus Bikes.  They were originally in a garage on Greenleaf, near the Jewel, then moved to Florence and Crain.  They were closed for several months, then reopened recently on Lake near Ashland.  Nice folks.

Kevin C said:

RRB Cycles hasn't been around as long as Oscar Wastyn, but they have been building their own frames since the 60's.

For better or for worse, downtown Evanston is basically a mall, so no surprise on the rents...

I can say that about Evanston, since I live there. :-)

Skip

Anne Alt said:

I've heard from a number of sources that rents are quite high on a lot of the downtown Evanston retail space.

I have used the Pony shop for years for all my bikes. Lou and the guys there are all riders and do a great job at repairs. I would recommend you check them out...

Thunder Snow said:

Yes, the Pony Shop will be my new LBS, I guess, though I bought my last bike at Turin Ten 27.  I've stopped in briefly and looked around, but don't know anything about Pony's repair shop or reputation.  Anyone here have experience, good or bad, with Pony?  Ten 27 was about 200 feet from my apartment, so I've never bothered looking further.  Also, anyone know anything about the other E-Town bike shop, Bucephalus

I know, there are a dozen great bike shops in Chicago, and I'll start going down there if I must, but I'd rather shop locally, and build up a relationship with an LBS, if at all possible.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service