The Chainlink

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/09/12/some-evanston-residents-hope...

Source: Cbslocal.com. By Jim Williams

They may end up reconfiguring the bike lanes on Dodge Avenue.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION !! I've signed. I'm supporter # 68. Many more are needed !

https://www.change.org/p/evanston-city-clerk-rodney-improve-not-rem...

Views: 1778

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Another disadvantage of PBLs on narrower streets is that parked cars in the middle of the street create two door zones which take up valuable street width to the left and the right of the vehicle.  When cars are parked at the curb, the door zone on the right is up on the curb and off the street.

Count me as another person who isn't a supporter of the protected bike lane on Dodge. I've encountered debris, people parked at the curbs, cyclists going the wrong way, and cars crossing to turn in front of me among other issues. I felt safer with the shared lane than I do in the PBL. Not signing.

I found it interesting that they didn't change the configuration of the bike lanes across from Dawes Elementary School. When I asked, I was told it was for the safety of kids getting dropped off. Seems like if it was a concern in that block, it should also have been a concern elsewhere on Dodge. I suspect it will only be a matter of time before a young kid bolts out of the car right into the path of a bicyclist...

Can I ask anyone from Evanston what sort of planning and approval process went on before this was installed? Was there any meeting with feedback from cyclists and residents? Is it just post installation remorse by the anti-cycling people?

Evanston did do some public outreach, but this is a federal project so most of that was 2 years ago. They dropped the ball in letting people know that this was going to be installed. I've been notified about resurfacing projects, street cleaning, garbage pickup, street closings and they apologize if 311 doesn't respond before the end of the day; this thing, nothing. The streets and san guy told me that the street sweeper they bought to clean the lane (it's an attachment for a Bobcat) just showed up. That said, the lane is awesome. It's way better than most of the PBL's I've ridden on (and if you know anything about my professional life, that's saying a lot.) I have never been treated better in a dedicated bike lane than I am on Dodge. As for cars, the people that complain about slow traffic aren't regular users of the road (yeah I'm sure there's someone who drives it and thinks this lane is "an abomination" yet will say they support biking.) The doom and gloom of people (cars ans bikes) that hate PBL's just betrays their inability to observe changing road conditions and adapt. Bikes (and PBL's) end up being the straw man for people that are frustrated with the escalating lack of respect that people have for the traffic they are contributing to.

This article popped up this morning on The Paceline:

10 Ways Bicycle-Friendly Streets Are Good for People Who Don't Ride...

Atypical source, but still...

Signed.

Looks like the word is getting out. Almost 600 signatures! 

https://youtu.be/Vq_zsKKcmA8

There's obviously a big problem

Hi all - I started the petition to improve, not remove, the protected bike lanes on Dodge Street, and it now has 810 signatures. Help us get to 1,000 supporters to show the Evanston City Council that there is strong support for safer and more accessible bicycling in Evanston. If we don't show this type of strong support for bicycle-friendly infrastructure, than the voices of the people who wanted to remove the protected bike lanes will stay in the minds of the city leaders, as well as the citizens, of Evanston.

https://www.change.org/p/evanston-city-clerk-rodney-improve-not-rem...

If you've already signed it, get some friends to sign the petition by sending it out by email, Facebook, twitter, etc.

While recognizing that these bike lanes are not perfect, I think they are a good start. As some of you mentioned and I have observed while biking these lanes everyday, ridership is up significantly, especially for students at Evanston Township High School - the bike racks at the high school are jammed with 500+ bikes everyday. These are from high schoolers who aren't driving or being driven to school - a huge plus in keeping our streets less congested.

Also, these lanes are extremely important for less experienced riders, especially youth. And parents riding with children find them much safer than the unprotected bike lane that had been on Dodge. I doubt a buffered bike lane, as some of you suggested, would provide the same level of safety, especially for less experienced riders.

When I ride in the protected lanes, I don't go more than 10 to 15 mph. I chat with folks in the neighborhood and people getting into and out off their cars. At this speed, I can react to car doors opening, cars turning onto or off of Dodge, bicyclists going the wrong way, and all of the debris that unfortunately accumulates in these lanes. There is a reason that the Green Wave in Copenhagen is 20 kph - it reduces accidents. 

Thanks for your support!

Thank you Stuart for starting this petition. I hope you are able to top 1000 supporters for your petition.

I hope anyone in our metropolitan cycling community who hasn't yet signed the petition would please do so now and help you reach your goal.

I urge all Chainlink members and anyone who supports cycling to sign the petition now ! Thanks !

Is Evanston seriously considering removing all bike infrastructure on Dodge? Or are they considering going back to the previous setup, which was either sharrows or a normal bike lane?

Hi Skip - right now they are focusing on making improvements to the protected bike lanes on Dodge, so removing the protected lanes isn't a major immediate threat. Nevertheless, it's important to get as many people as possible to sign the petition to show support for the Dodge Street bike lanes, as well as other bike-friendly improvements in Evanston.

Hope this answers your question,

Stuart

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service