The Chainlink

So yesterday I got stuck changing my tire in the snow and it made me wonder, what( if anything) does everybody carry with them when they bike in the city?

i have a small bag in my messenger that has:
patch kit,
pedro's tire levers
spare tube
spare valve caps
spare lock keys
hand pump
multi tool

second question. are all hand pumps made equal?

Views: 305

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes Gabe, you mention the one flaw with that model. I use the previous generation with the same head, but a diferent hollow bottom for storage. Most LBS carry $1.50 12gram co2 cartriges, and If you want to stop by I can show you how to work these things. Like Audi's, they can be tricky beasts.
Always handy to have a "boot" in case you rip a sidewall. A boot is anything put inside the tire to cover the rip/hole and keeps the inner tube from poking out.

I usually cut a piece of a Fedex pak into a strip and fold it up into my saddle bag. Anything made of Tyvek works great, it's a paper-like material made of polyethelene fibers (if you race, your number is usually made of tyvek).

or, in a pinch, that $20 bill for cab fare can work!
Here's one I made up for when I was publishing the Derailleur.

Damn I wish I'd thought of that. Genius

Bikefreeek said:

zip ties, park CT-6, tube(s), patch kit, CO2 thingy with a couple o cartriges, toolbar(screwdriver, hex head driver tips with handle to hold the tips),park tire levers, presta-schrader adapter.
GabeW's idea was great, but this is just brilliant! Alex you never cease to amaze. Why didn't I think of this...

Bikefreeek said:

I like to keep everything in my road kit as compact and as clean as possible. So for especially long, rainy rides, sometimes a spot of chain lube is necessary -- so a friend turned me on to the use of tiny bento box bottles usually used to store soy sauce. They are available at most Asian grocery stores.

And I don't understand why more folks don't store one or two nitrile/latex gloves. They help prevent cuts and keep your hands nice and clean whilst doing on the road repairs. Plus they'll make you look very professional as you fix that flat.

Other than that, my kit is similar to the others: 1-2 tubes, valve extender (in case you are helping someone with deep section rims), multitool w/chain breaker, CO2 kit (in the winter or on a group ride with people waiting on you, this is just more practical), full sized frame fit pump, patch kit, bandages, tire levers, $20 bill (cab fare or tire boot). If running tubulars, a spare tire. If running track, a 15mm wrench.
i hate wearing those gloves. . also, when its raining and snowy they're near impossible to get on.
Really? I used some this morning on the way to work when I came upon a student whose chain had dropped. The medical grade lightly dusted ones make it easier to get on or off, or you can just size up.

RodimusPrime said:
i hate wearing those gloves. . also, when its raining and snowy they're near impossible to get on.
On city rides when self-supported I carry the following kit: Bottle opener, 3 tubes, multi tool,2 quick sticks tire tools,air pump, CO2 inflator plus three cartiages, chain tool, knife, zip ties, mini-mag flash light, $20.00 bill, 4 pairs nitrle gloves, extra set of dog tags, small first aid fit, oc spray-2cans, lock, and extra garbage bag for poncho use, This all fits in the Hawg model Camalbak. I still have plenty of room for goodies and my flask for sprits! Surely rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's another one from the Derailleur, 07/03.

Lots of great replies and some stuff I'd never thought of.

One item missing so far (unless I didn't see it posted) is something tiny and useful... a safety pin! Usually glass is the cuprit when I flat, so it's good to have the pin to pry out the offender without further damaging your rubber (or your finger tip).

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service