The Chainlink

This is a group that realizes that we all have something in common.  We ride bikes. We can have differing points of view on a vast array of topics related to and completely seperate from biking, but we have at least some common ground and that is a start.

A group that understands we have all erred.  We have all been judgmental or harsh or critical or unfair to our fellow cyclists, and that there is a better way forward.  You don't have to be perfect to join, but you should be committed to trying harder.  A group that seeks to find ways where our common ground allows for some unity, and our unity creates power and numbers that advances our common goals.

Come and join Cyclists Who Love Cyclists and the Cyclists Who Love Them today, and help stop the hating.  It's time for a whole lot of bike love, and a little bit of unity.

Views: 143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hate everyone equally, does that count?
Some People Are Not Nice
By Jera Sue

Some people are not nice to other people because they believe that in order to be respected they can never be vulnerable in which case they should always draw first blood.

Some people are not nice to other people because they grew up in a rough environment and have learned from a very young age that snark and douchebaggery is the only way to come to a conclusion in a debate.

Some people are not nice to other people because to be nice is not cool.

Some people are not nice to other people because it's been a long time since they've had relations with another person.

I think it's really important for mean people to be nice, at least for as long as it takes for someone to sleep with them. Then maybe they'll be nicer people in general and won't even have to try so hard.

The End
As much as it actually pains me to defend someone I am going to have to stand up for Howard here; you pulled a very passive aggressive move singling out, and chastising, Howard for being mean in a thread about how we should all be getting along in the thread about how we should all get along
but want to hold the moral high ground and I have to call shenanigans on that.

Mind you I, obviously, have no issue with calling people out; just don't try to act as if you hold the high ground.

Did I do this nice enough?

I swear I am not intentionally trying to derail the 'be nice' thread.

Really.

conleyri said:
Read it as you like. Have a good night Howard.
H3N3 said:
So you dredged this up here specifically to bait me?
Big of you to admit that, at least, but heretoforth your "my ____ doesn't stink" act is not going to be terribly convincing.
Richard T. Conley said:
It was, very much so, directed squarely at you. And as I thought you would, you took the opportunity throw some sparks at the gas can. I don't know you Howard, but this is my perception of you based off of the text I read under posts with your name. I don't see you outside of these forums. Am I to blame because of what you represent in your own posts?

Ill take that. I wont help you set this thread on fire as well. That's my last 2 cents.
H3N3 said:
The comment was directed squarely at me, Jera Sue--
I'll speak up for myself, and would respect your right to speak up for yourself as well.

Yes, sometimes, when others are passionate about something, or react strongly because their position or views are being trivialized or marginalized, it's possible that you don't
"see the point" because what's important to them is less important to you. Jera Sue said:
People do get quite scrappy here, and I think that it's appropriate that one of the scrappiest be the one to pick up on this comment. I agree with you much of the time, Howard, but it's abrasiveness like yours and of others here that keeps me off the forums much of the time.
I'm not thin-skinned... I just don't see the point. Maybe that's my problem. H3N3 said: This is inaccurate from start to finish, and quite obviously colored by your own bias. But it's a great illustration of the problem with this thread-- if you aren't specific about who or what you're reacting to, the wrong people are going to think it's about them, and as we see here the people who can't seem to post anything at all without provoking or baiting another member are going to think it's about the "other guy" and high-five you for the perceived validation.
Or maybe people have a different definition of nice than you do.

There are several people on here that I have seen accused of being mean or abrasive but have never done anything I would consider mean or abrasive.

I think I'm a nice guy but I bet you can find several people who would disagree; maybe even as many as I can find who would agree...

Jera Sue said:
Some People Are Not Nice
By Jera Sue

Some people are not nice to other people because they believe that in order to be respected they can never be vulnerable in which case they should always draw first blood.

Some people are not nice to other people because they grew up in a rough environment and have learned from a very young age that snark and douchebaggery is the only way to come to a conclusion in a debate.

Some people are not nice to other people because to be nice is not cool.

Some people are not nice to other people because it's been a long time since they've had relations with another person.

I think it's really important for mean people to be nice, at least for as long as it takes for someone to sleep with them. Then maybe they'll be nicer people in general and won't even have to try so hard.

The End
True enough ;)
Nice enough. Honestly I liked reading some of those arguments posted. Just thought it was weird that H3N3 called out that poster on something she / he said in a thread a few pages back. I get that H3N3 has been here a lot longer than I but was my "passive aggressive" move really worst than his blatant - off-topic attack of that poster? If it was, I apologize. To you, Howard, and the OP for jacking his / her thread.

High ground. I never been up there. Just gave my opinion, biased by the comments he made.

Thank you for your reply.

notoriousDUG said:
As much as it actually pains me to defend someone I am going to have to stand up for Howard here; you pulled a very passive aggressive move singling out, and chastising, Howard for being mean in a thread about how we should all be getting along in the thread about how we should all get along

Mind you I, obviously, have no issue with calling people out; just don't try to act as if you hold the high ground.

Really.

conleyri said:
H3N3 said:
Big of you to admit that, at least, but heretoforth your "my ____ doesn't stink" act is not going to be terribly convincing.
Richard T. Conley said:
It was, very much so, directed squarely at you. And as I thought you would, you took the opportunity throw some sparks at the gas can. I don't know you Howard, but this is my perception of you based off of the text I read under posts with your name. I don't see you outside of these forums. Am I to blame because of what you represent in your own posts?

Ill take that. I wont help you set this thread on fire as well. That's my last 2 cents.
H3N3 said:
I'll speak up for myself, and would respect your right to speak up for yourself as well.

Yes, sometimes, when others are passionate about something, or react strongly because their position or views are being trivialized or marginalized, it's possible that you don't
"see the point" because what's important to them is less important to you. Jera Sue said:
People do get quite scrappy here, and I think that it's appropriate that one of the scrappiest be the one to pick up on this comment. I agree with you much of the time, Howard, but it's abrasiveness like yours and of others here that keeps me off the forums much of the time.
I'm not thin-skinned... I just don't see the point. Maybe that's my problem. H3N3 said: This is inaccurate from start to finish, and quite obviously colored by your own bias. But it's a great illustration of the problem with this thread-- if you aren't specific about who or what you're reacting to, the wrong people are going to think it's about them, and as we see here the people who can't seem to post anything at all without provoking or baiting another member are going to think it's about the "other guy" and high-five you for the perceived validation.
OK, but I'm not hugging anyone.

Ever.

I gots an image to maintain.

conleyri said:
Nice enough. Honestly I liked reading some of those arguments posted. Just thought it was weird that H3N3 called out that poster on something she / he said in a thread a few pages back. I get that H3N3 has been here a lot longer than I but was my "passive aggressive" move really worst than his blatant - off-topic attack of that poster? If it was, I apologize. To you, Howard, and the OP for jacking his / her thread.

High ground. I never been up there. Just gave my opinion, biased by the comments he made.

Thank you for your reply.

notoriousDUG said:

Really.

conleyri said:
H3N3 said:
Richard T. Conley said:

H3N3 said:

Richard T.,
I would like to accept your . . . "apology" and walk away, but the hole just keeps getting deeper-- now it's a "blatant off-topic attack?" I'm cringing in anticipation of your next "apology."
I guess I need to say it again-- your assessment of what happened in this scenario you keep bringing up is not accurate-- what you're not seeing is the time frame in which posts to that thread, the initiating of the related thread, and the initiating of this thread took place and how they relate to each-other; it's understandable that you're not going to monitor this forum 24/7 but sometimes when things don't quite add up for you it's because you may not know what you don't know-- you can always ask a clarifying question when that happens, rather than present a maximally pessimistic potential scenario (i.e. I got mad at someone for absolutely no reason so I went looking for other posts of theirs to attack) as fact, repeatedly.
Some questions you could ask:
-"why did that post upset you so much? Is there something here I missed?"
-"what do I need to know about this person to understand why this issue that seems so trivial to me is seemingly so important to him?
-"why is this bleeding over into this other thread? Is this person a psychotic cyber-stalker or is there some other explanation?"
Some places you could ask them:
-personal message
-on the thread in which the inexplicable scenario played out
-on a new thread
-by phone: 773/710-4143
Very sorry this is playing out on Lee's thread-- any chance we can give it a rest? I.e. everyone?
Word. Once again sorry for the misunderstanding. Night. Oh and Lee, I joined up with your group. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

H3N3 said:
Richard T.,
I accept your apology and was ready to walk away, but I guess I need to say it again-- your assessment of what happened in this scenario you keep bringing up is not accurate-- what you're not seeing is the time frame in which posts to that thread, the initiating of the related thread, and the initiating of this thread took place and how they relate to each-other; it's understandable that you're not going to monitor this forum 24/7 but sometimes when things don't quite add up for you it's because you may not know what you don't know-- you can always ask a clarifying question when that happens, rather than present a maximally pessimistic potential scenario (i.e. I got mad at someone for absolutely no reason so I went looking for other posts of theirs to attack) as fact, repeatedly.
-"what do I need to know about this person to understand why this issue that seems so trivial to me is seemingly so important to him?
-"why is this bleeding over into this other thread? Is this person a psychotic cyber-stalker or is there some other explanation?"
Some places you could ask them:
-personal message
-on the thread in which the inexplicable scenario played out
-on a new thread
-by phone: 773/710-4143
Very sorry this is playing out on Lee's thread-- any chance we can give it a rest? I.e. everyone?
H3N3 said:

I don't think that this is an extremely inappropriate place to have this conversation (unless Lee does, in which case, I apologize), but where else can I ask my questions, like:

In the event that someone says something that pisses someone else off and that someone else says something mean or abrasive... why is it the responsibility of the first guy to approach that other guy (or gal, forgive me) with kindness?

Maaaaybe the first guy could have been less ignorant, but ignorance is relative. We all have our very own unique world view. I've said some careless things and have been called out on them, and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong...

Bottom line, though... if I say something that pisses someone off, and they bite my head off, it's not my responsibility to make nice. Why isn't it the responsibility of everyone to be respectful to begin with?

Again, I'm not trying to stir stuff up. Just asking a genuine question.
I vote for psychotic cyber-stalker.
It's a shame that the original poster of threads can't delete replies that are made because this thread needs a major cleaning.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service