The Chainlink

I just had my second bike stolen.  Last time it happened in September.

I'm done with this shit.

Obviously the solution is to use a welding torch to write my information onto the next bike frame I get.  Thankfully, a friend has a work shed attached to his grandmother's house, and has agreed to help me.

I'm afraid that the process will hurt the strength of the frame; he suggested heat treating it.  This can be done in two ways: with his assistance, and a shit load of sand (??? I don't actually know how this works) or by sticking the frame in a bigass oven at 450-500 degrees.  I don't know what this means for the paint.  Maybe I need to take ALL the paint off?  I'll find out.

Does anybody have a bigass oven at their disposal?  Who wouldn't mind a bikeframe put inside of it?

And has anybody ever tried this novel form of bike theft deterrent?   I'm hoping it is effective.  I'm thinking my name, and my phone number.  If I just painted on the infoz, it could be painted over.  But good luck painting over 3D information, asshole thieves.

Views: 2205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

BTW if you want to get an idea as where stolen bikes go, you can read here:

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/recovered

In 7 years there has never been a report of a bike stolen in Chicago turning up in another city outside the Chicago area, although we have received credible information that some of the 'professional' bike thieves have connections in other states.

Christine (5.0) said:

Is scrap metal the usual fate of stolen bikes?  I figured they would be transported to another city and sold.  Who would buy a bike with someone else's phone number welded on it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Christine, don't you ride a cargo bike? I could see how bringing it into your apartment (if it were an option) would be a challenge. Best of luck. Did you post it on CSBR?

Nope; my previous bike was a hybrid.  And a bit of a tank, with the fenders and rack and thick frame and such.  I recently bought a BOB Yak off of someone on the Chainlink.  It now occurs to me that the new bike I picked is not compatible with the quick release necessary for attachment.  That's... unfortunate.  I never got to haul any cargo :(

There is another place at courtyard style apartment that I may be able to keep the bike behind a locked gate.  I need to investigate and find out if there's anything back there I can attach my bike to.  I could potentially attach it to the staircase that goes to the porch off the kitchen.  It would be outside and on the ground which is convenient for me, and behind a locked gate which is certainly more secure than out in the open.  There's currently no key from the kitchen to that area, so it hadn't occurred to me to look there.

Blatherskate said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Christine, don't you ride a cargo bike? I could see how bringing it into your apartment (if it were an option) would be a challenge. Best of luck. Did you post it on CSBR?

My commuter bike was stolen a couple years ago.  I know how you feel.  I have several bikes in my garage and basement.  I'm constantly worried that they aren't safe enough, even there.

For the next bike, instead of maybe wrecking the frame, why not try something a bit less potentially destructive?  A few things come to mind:

• use an engraving pen (e.g., http://www.harborfreight.com/electric-engraver-46099.html)
  • get something like Tile or SpyBike so you can track the thieves
  • work to find more secure storage locations (indoors? monitored?) in the areas you frequent on your bike
  • bike insurance (might require some documentation of your locks, locking methods and locations - fairly easily done with your cell phone camera, I would think)?
  • check to see if your homeowner's insurance or renter's insurance will cover you

If you are set on doing something really significant to your frame, contact a framebuilder for help. Your local bike shop should be able to help you contact someone.

I realize we've had this discussion in the past week or two, but I think reporting bike thefts and putting pressure on the police to investigate bike theft is important.  Each individual theft is a low-ticket item compared to a car, but when it's your primary means of transportation, it puts you just as out of commission as if it had been your car.  In aggregate, there is a lot of theft going on, probably by organized rings of thieves. Maybe ask your alderman for some help with the pressure tactics.

Cameron is absolutely correct. Heat treating is difficult and requires special equipment. Walmart style bikes are not heat treated, which is one of the many reasons they are sold so cheap.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Welding to thin walled tubing like most bikes are made out of is very difficult to do without burning through the tube. Torching your name into the frame will introduce enough heat into the tubing to create stress concentrations and eliminate some (most) of the benefits of any heat treating done during manufacture. This will weaken your fame and is a bad idea. Heat treating your frame is not as simple as sticking it in a big oven. You have to carefully control heating rates, cooling rates, oxygen exposure, etc. Heat treating is a complicated industrial process that requires more equipment and knowledge than most people have. A better option for a difficult to remove ID would be to get an engraved plate and braze it onto the frame.

where do you live? I am pretty shocked that somebody would cut through a gate?

This.

Not only will this not keep your bike form being stolen but unless your friend is an excellent welder (as in a skilled professional) you are probably going to ruin the frame doing it and heat treating after is never going to work.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Welding to thin walled tubing like most bikes are made out of is very difficult to do without burning through the tube. Torching your name into the frame will introduce enough heat into the tubing to create stress concentrations and eliminate some (most) of the benefits of any heat treating done during manufacture. This will weaken your fame and is a bad idea. Heat treating your frame is not as simple as sticking it in a big oven. You have to carefully control heating rates, cooling rates, oxygen exposure, etc. Heat treating is a complicated industrial process that requires more equipment and knowledge than most people have. A better option for a difficult to remove ID would be to get an engraved plate and braze it onto the frame.

Untrue.  Ask the people who used to buy bikes off scrappers at the scrap yard about the bikes they have scored.  Scrappers see bikes, and most stuff they find, as nothing but metal.

h' 1.0 said:

Scrappers make their living off of knowing exactly what things are worth. They're not going to scrap a quality bike for the value of the metal.

Michael A said:

A lot of bikes are sold for scrap, the scrap yard does not care who's name is welded on it

Lakeview East!  http://chicago.stolenbike.org/node/194256

jolondon30 said:

I am not being facetious nor am I trying to be condescending: where do you live?  This happens all of the time--look at the reports on the stolen bike registry.  And it happens in "good" neighborhoods, like Lakeview.

jolondon30 said:

Read again, Doug. See "quality." I know what Working Bikes was getting for $5 from the scrappers and I don't think it's in the same universe from what was stolen from Christine here (although it looks like we'll never know excatly what her bike was beyond "hybrid.")

I don't really need to go looking for anyone to ask, anyways-- one of my tenants is a Junkero an I've watched first hand for 7 years how items with value in excess of scrap value get sold through other channels.

notoriousDUG said:

Untrue.  Ask the people who used to buy bikes off scrappers at the scrap yard about the bikes they have scored.  Scrappers see bikes, and most stuff they find, as nothing but metal.

h' 1.0 said:

Scrappers make their living off of knowing exactly what things are worth. They're not going to scrap a quality bike for the value of the metal.

Michael A said:

A lot of bikes are sold for scrap, the scrap yard does not care who's name is welded on it

I've lived in Lake View East for three years now, and have never gotten a bike stolen. I have lived in three apartments, and was lucky enough that two of them had bike rooms. The third, I kept my bike in the living room (of my 350 square-foot dwelling), behind the couch. I have never left my bike outside overnight, and I believe that contributes to my lack of theft.

Christine (5.0) said:

Lakeview East!  http://chicago.stolenbike.org/node/194256

jolondon30 said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service