The Chainlink

Just got this email, so don't plan to ride Divvy home today:

Good morning.

Due to the weather, we will temporarily close Divvy at 12:00PM on Thursday, January 2, 2014 to protect the safety of our members and staff. No bikes can be rented after the temporary closure has begun, though any bikes in use at the time can be returned to any Divvy station with an available dock.

If you have any question about whether the system is open or closed, please call to speak with a Member Service Representative at 1-855-55-DIVVY (553-4889). You can also find the latest updates on the
Divvy website, Facebook, and Twitter. Members will also be informed of closure and re-opening via email.

In December, we served nearly 45,000 trips, and we're looking forward to serving many more this winter.

Thank you again for your support and understanding.  

- The Divvy Team and the Chicago Department of Transportation

Divvy is Chicago's newest transit system with thousands of bikes available to you 24/7. With hundreds of stations across the city, Divvy is convenient, fast, fun, and affordable.

Visit DivvyBikes.com or find us on FacebookTwitterInstagram, or Tumblr

Forward this email

This email was sent to x by info@divvybikes.com |  

Divvy | 711 SE Grand | Portland | OR | 97214

Views: 7785

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Divvy made it clear months ago that they had they reserved the right to suspend service temporarily "in very extreme weather."  http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-10-29/news/chi-city-hall-di...

How is this a surprise to anyone here now??

While a predicted lake effect snow storm that could dump up to a foot of snow (on top of the 6 inches we already have received in the past 24 hours) and up to 25 mph winds may not be "extreme" to some, it's not like they shut down for a predicted light dusting.  In fact, though we've already had more than a few snow storms, this is the first time they've shut down--suggesting they'll only do so if its predicted to be serious.  

I, for one, intend to cut them some slack.  

Other than the LSD fiasco a few winters ago when's the last time an area highway was closed? I can't recall CTA or Metra ever suspending rail service due to weather. 

My comment was based on my needs. I really would only use Divvy on days like today so it would be more economical for me to just buy a 24 hour pass whenever I need one. 

Michael B said:

With you here. I love the comment about not buying the membership because of today. Highways get closed rail service shuts down planes are delayed and cancelled because of weather. Divvy is no different.

Apie (10.6) said:

Classic entitled cyclist comments.   Its dangerous out there, good choice Divvy.  Take public transportation for a day, ya bunch of whiners. 

Can you imagine the shit-storm that would result if IDOT closed the tollways for the evening commute?

I had a feeling Divvy was going to let people down. Like someone else said, Divvy knew what kind of winters Chicago gets. Will they close in the spring because of "too much rain"? I still say these bikes are going to look like garbage after this winter. They have full fenders on the bikes and are fine to ride with snow.

I can't imagine someone comparing closed highways to a closed bike-share program.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

Can you imagine the shit-storm that would result if IDOT closed the tollways for the evening commute?

First World Problem

uh does that somehow disqualify it as eligible for discussion on the Chainlink? Approximately 100% of the topics of discussion here could be categorized as First World Problems.

in it to win it 8.0 mi said:

First World Problem

But you do know that this will interfere with Adam's ability to ride a Divvy a "half mile to the 'L," including "walk[ing] the bike for half a block?" No one should have to put up with that kind of aggravation!

Permalink Reply by Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) 4 hours ago

Yes, Divvied half a mile to the 'L'. Main roads are okay, side streets are awful. I had to walk the bike for half a block.

Don't think I attempted to disqualify anything.

Lots of the topics aren't dealing with problems, so 100% may be a little high.

You don't need to imagine it Apie. Its already been done! The comparison is helpful I think. The difference it points out is that bike infrastructure is still considered of vastly lesser importance than the infrastructure for motor vehicles.

Apie (10.6) said:

I can't imagine someone comparing closed highways to a closed bike-share program.

First World Problem

Are you referring to the actual Divvy shutdown or the hypothetical highway shutdown? The latter seems much more solidly in the "first world problem" category to me. Poor drivers, unable to zip along on their ruinously expensive grade-separated controlled-access multi-lane high-speed expressway, they might have to stop at a light! The humanity! How will they go on? 

You are stating the obvious Tony.   I'm not sure what % of cyclists there are to cagers, but I imagine there are vastly more cars on the road in these conditions then bikes.  Its beyond a ridiculous comparison, unless you are an Entitled Cyclist.

Tony Adams 7 mi said:

You don't need to imagine it Apie. Its already been done! The comparison is helpful I think. The difference it points out is that bike infrastructure is still considered of vastly lesser importance than the infrastructure for motor vehicles.

Apie (10.6) said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service