The Chainlink

is anyone considering biking out to the Dark Lord Day Three Floyds event in Munster Indiana? Its being held on Saturday, April 25th. Its about 30 miles out. Got a Golden Ticket??

http://www.darklordday.com/
http://www.threefloyds.com/

Views: 532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey there, thought I would chip in since I made the ride a couple weekends ago and used that map Iggi posted (which came from T.C.). Anyways, the map worked out great. The only confusion came around Wolf Lake via the Burnham Greenway, where we passed the lake, crossed Ave. N (I believe) and the path became nothing more than a dirt trail. Confused, we soon realized that we should have "hugged' the curve of the lake instead (you may end up going through a parking lot). It's funny to note, though, how the Greenway abrubtly ends, with no explanation. The sign reading "Burnham Greenway!" only further befuddles. It seems funding ran out shortly after putting the sign up...

I clocked the entire trip from Humboldt Park to the brewery at about 46 miles, give or take, because the rain kept interferring with the cyclometer.

Also, please note that the South Shore line does not allow bikes on board. I'm told it may have something to do with all the "sand-infested" bikes coming back from the dunes (plauging questions there). Here's the link with information: http://www.nictd.com/policies.html. This would have been useful to know after my trip since we considered riding to the Hammond station afterwards, as it was dark, raining, and well, we had had a few...

Flossmoor Station is nearly a straight shot west from Three Floyds and I believe the last train leaves the station around 11:30PMish - a great follow-up to Three Floyd's! Iggi, I can give you a turn by turn of that route if you need. Be careful if riding in the dark,as most of the roads only had a tiny shoulder - Glenwood-Lansing Road has those tiny speed bumps running for about 5 miles which was not pleasurable to ride on.

Good luck! Great idea to call about bike racks. They seem very cool about biking to the brewery (the chef bought a round of our drinks when he found out we biked :) ) so it sounds promising that they would get some permanent, or even temporary for Dark Lord, bike racks in place. I will be there, either by car or by bus!
Nah we didn't get to kuma's we got sidetracked by Navy Pier so we just got drunk and watched a movie then went to Simone's. Was going to call you but we just had a beer and left. I guess We're going on our own bikes just in case we have to take the train back since metra doesn't allow tandems.

joe kovach said:
yeah...how did your tandem ride go the other day Alex? log many miles on that beast?

and for the record befor she hits me with a frying pan or somthing. i was calling the bike a beast...not your beautiful wife. :) oh and how was Kumas u dickhead. i just got super hungry....haha i think im gonna hold off on payin rent and go eat.
nice....excited i am.

iggi said:
The official event is posted...as an event. Come one, come all. Even the ones who will be trailing behind (you know who you are). We shall be meeting in front of the Shedd Aquarium around 8am to start pedaling down to Munster, Indiana. It is about 30 miles down. If we become too imbibed...there are alternative means of transportation to return via rail. You in? Good! Lets go.
Some bad news team...below is the Email from Three Floyds regarding the bike racks...

Hi Erick
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I spoke with the bosses here and Three Floyds cannont accept responsibilty for your bicycles. I'm sure you are aware that our property is quite small and we are expecting at least 5,000 people. I know those bikes can get quite expensive and with so many people coming it could be pretty risky.
Thanks for thinking of us and actually wanting to ride a bicycle all the way out here to visit (you're crazy!). : )
FYI:
They are checking into eventually getting a permanent bike rack but that's quite a ways off.

Liz Harrison
Three Floyds Brewing Co
9750 Indiana Parkway
Munster, IN 46321
219-922-3565 x 101

So...plan B?

Now...a small baby Jesus miracle...i...today...acquired a bike rack. Small, yes...but it can lock up maybe 4 bikes. And...we can lock bikes to our bikes. Is it completely secure...no...but if several bikes are locked together to this, maybe we got something relatively secure? Im sure someone we know is driving down there (i do) and maybe they can take it down there...we assemble on site...lock up...voila?
P.S. I should check if the rack is complete...
Thanks, Annette!!

Annette said:
Hey there, thought I would chip in since I made the ride a couple weekends ago and used that map Iggi posted (which came from T.C.). Anyways, the map worked out great. The only confusion came around Wolf Lake via the Burnham Greenway, where we passed the lake, crossed Ave. N (I believe) and the path became nothing more than a dirt trail. Confused, we soon realized that we should have "hugged' the curve of the lake instead (you may end up going through a parking lot). It's funny to note, though, how the Greenway abrubtly ends, with no explanation. The sign reading "Burnham Greenway!" only further befuddles. It seems funding ran out shortly after putting the sign up...

I clocked the entire trip from Humboldt Park to the brewery at about 46 miles, give or take, because the rain kept interferring with the cyclometer.

Also, please note that the South Shore line does not allow bikes on board. I'm told it may have something to do with all the "sand-infested" bikes coming back from the dunes (plauging questions there). Here's the link with information: http://www.nictd.com/policies.html. This would have been useful to know after my trip since we considered riding to the Hammond station afterwards, as it was dark, raining, and well, we had had a few...

Flossmoor Station is nearly a straight shot west from Three Floyds and I believe the last train leaves the station around 11:30PMish - a great follow-up to Three Floyd's! Iggi, I can give you a turn by turn of that route if you need. Be careful if riding in the dark,as most of the roads only had a tiny shoulder - Glenwood-Lansing Road has those tiny speed bumps running for about 5 miles which was not pleasurable to ride on.

Good luck! Great idea to call about bike racks. They seem very cool about biking to the brewery (the chef bought a round of our drinks when he found out we biked :) ) so it sounds promising that they would get some permanent, or even temporary for Dark Lord, bike racks in place. I will be there, either by car or by bus!
yeah that works... even with out a rack..if we all lock our bikes together its pretty hard to take them...but a rack would be pretty cool too...as long as we dont have to carry it. haha.
Dammit I'm tired of talking about this already. I want some Dark Lord!
Hello everybody. I'd like to tag along too if you don't mind. Just signed up to the chainlink a little while ago and found this event. Beers and bike riding... don't get much better than that!

As to the bike locking dilemma... trees, road signs, flag poles? I use them all the time. Also, I have a substantial pack and could bring my a 6' cable, along with spare/road beers. I like to be prepared.

Could I meet the group somewhere near Calumet Park? I'm currently living off of Western and 111th street. Wouldn't make much sense to ride all the way north just to come back south.
absofuckinlutely. i dont think you need to come all the way up either. We will finalize all things this week, im sure you can join in at any point.

Eric Miller said:
Hello everybody. I'd like to tag along too if you don't mind. Just signed up to the chainlink a little while ago and found this event. Beers and bike riding... don't get much better than that!

As to the bike locking dilemma... trees, road signs, flag poles? I use them all the time. Also, I have a substantial pack and could bring my a 6' cable, along with spare/road beers. I like to be prepared.

Could I meet the group somewhere near Calumet Park? I'm currently living off of Western and 111th street. Wouldn't make much sense to ride all the way north just to come back south.
mos def...we could prolly find a spot some where down around there to take a quick pit stop...pop a beer...eat somthing...laugh and point at ppl with no stanima! i kid...but yeah..come along. bring friends..bring more beer. if Alex has any more of his crappy home brew he better bring it too...

so if u know that area at all..and can recomend a stopping point to meet up let us know.
thought i'd chime in here since i'll be at DLD, and i homebrew. i won't be riding down, however. i attended last year's, got there around 9ish, and by the time i left, was wasted. don't know if i could ride that far after drinking so much beer. in regards to dark lord on tap, if it's anything like last year, they'll have 08 DL on tap. in fact, last year, they had oak-aged 07, in addition to a ton other beers on tap, some not even FFF, as i have a photo of me holding two cups; one of camel toe and the other, dark lord.
iggi, if i don't meet you at DLD, i'll see you at quencher's may 31st for the homebrew competition! alex, good luck with the all-grain. we're thinking of converting as well. i've helped someone once who brewed all-grain, and it's a LOT different. dude had quite an expensive system that helped, but it still took twice, if not three times as long to brew.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service