The Chainlink

Cyclist Seriously Injured in Blody Collision on the 606 during Tuesday Evening Commute

From Chicagoist:

"A 60-year-old man was seriously injured when he collided with another cyclist on The 606 trail on Tuesday evening.

Two men were both riding bikes on the trail in 2700 block of West Bloomingdale Avenue, near the California trailhead, when they collided at around 5:55 p.m., according to police.

A person who said he witnessed the aftermath posted on Reddit that "there was blood all over the pavement" at the scene. One injured man was "out cold and bleeding" and a second person "was bloodied nearby" and "shaken but standing," according to the post.

Photographer Clayton Hauck on Tuesday evening posted images of what appeared to blood on the trail and bloody garments or towels left behind.

Tribune transportation reporter Mary Wisniewski also saw the aftermath "of a bloody crash" on The 606 Tuesday and said on Twitter that both men were "well enough to sit up in ambulance."

One collision victim, a 23-year-old man, sustained minor injuries and was taken to St. Mary's Hospital. The 60-year-old man suffered serious injuries and was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, according to police."

It was less than ten days ago that I had mentioned on Chainlink that it was only a matter of time before someone riding too fast ran into someone. I hope both are okay and not terribly injured.

What can be done to slow people down on the 606?

Views: 2757

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, there is a precedent set by a court in Illinois stating that while bicycles may be permitted users of the roads, they are not the intended users.

We cyclists are minority users of road infrastructure and have sweet F-A to say if  a municipality or state decides to banish us to intended bikeways alone. The motoring lobby can outspend and overpower us in a heartbeat if they so choose.

Yep, my bad on the terminology, Wayne vs Boub seems so long ago...

But as for the motorist lobby, what do you think they have been doing all these years? We aren't going anywhere, no chance in hell.

I'm definitely not. If they want to set a speed limit and ticket people, fine, but no, the 606 should not just be for pedestrians. There are sidewalks all over the city and cars don't drive on the sidewalks.

Cyclists are not supposed to ride on sidewalks, which means the street is our option. During busy times that means MORE bikes in the street with MORE cars. Frankly, when I'm driving or riding in the street during rush hour and there are a ton of bikes AND cars I get really nervous.

An advantage of the 606 is that it takes bikes off of the streets in this area, where I think we can all agree, the accidents are more likely to be lethal. Oh, and most drivers get off, especially with an easy hit and run.

Learned a new term today after reading about this on reddit. 

"The spot on the 606 with the dragon sculpture where they all hang out is referred to as "fuccboi landing".

The largest source of funds used to construct the 606 trail were federal CMAQ funds which must be spent on bicycle commuting infrastructure.  For this reason, bikes will always have to be allowed on the 606.

Yep. This falls under "buyer beware." We took the money, it came with conditions. Really, if the cyclists bother people that much, just use the parks and walk on the sidewalk. The trail itself was never intended to be a "lay out a blanket and BBQ" park just because it has some landscaping.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service