The Chainlink

I just saw this article linked to someone's blog.  Apparently a woman was hit and killed last night, but I cannot find anything in the news about it.  Does anyone have information?

Views: 194

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I don't "think" it's a piece of fiction- I hope that it is. ...because I haven't found a single news story on it other than that blog, and usually all the news sites have a short bit whenever a cyclist is killed. I can't believe something like this would happen without it being officially reported. Hopeful thinking.

Ruby Red said:
Oh man. Damn. That freaks me out. Is there any news coverage? What does it take for that to happen? I don't really understand why anyone thinks this is a work of fiction. Have you contacted the author to verify such?
That blog post makes me feel horribly hopeless when it comes to people. Not to say its not true, but no one seems to want to help others because they don't think they are the right person for "the job."

On Monday the 26 I was at a borders reading when a pain hit me in my lower back/side. I thought it was from riding too long with too heavy a backpack so i went to rest outside(lay down). Within minutes I was "paralyzed" from said pain. All I could manage to do was throw up here and there. 7-8 people walked passed me without even a glance. It took over 15 Minutes before a man named Joe came and called an ambulance for me. Turns out I have stones in my kidney but in short the fact that no one seemed to care enough to stop really bugs me.

Peoples lack of heart in these situations is scary in my opinion. I hope though this story isn't real, but it wouldn't surprise me :-/
i second both melanie and brendan. i love, love, love not having a car, and feel more free on my bike. cars are dangerous. everyone thinks we have to own a car, and that they're safe. besides the dangers of bein in a car, our water, land, air, and even social fabric is better because of the car...not. living is the ultimate price of not owning a car.

check out how we have been duped by the car and oil industry:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2486235784907931000#


Melanie said:
I agree with you Brendan. If you look at statistics, bicycling is relatively much safer than being the passenger or driver of a car. I also have to disagree with whoever said that "death is the ultimate consequence of biking" as I feel more alive now that I have started living a bicycling lifestyle and have gotten rid of my car. People die everyday, from a myriad of senseless acts and incidents, not exclusive to bicycling. I will keep on cycling despite tragedies that may happen. The way I see it, I could die walking down the street, hailing a taxi, or boarding a bus.

Brendan said:
Let's hope it was fiction. It would make this sentence easier to disregard: "It is a sad fact of life that death is the ultimate consequence of biking and while most people are already cautious, please do not take lightly that you may forfeit your life due to the irresponsible actions of the other people on the roads."

The ultimate consequence? Really? Even in the face of tragedy like this, cycling is living, not dying.
The fact that no other news outlets picked this up makes me think that the injuries were less severe than the writer and his friend imagined. He didn't say that the EMTs or cops reported that the cyclist was dead, just that his friend, who was driving the car, said so. For all we know, the cyclist may have been unconscious and bleeding, but is patched up with some stitches and doing fine. I really hope there is no one in the world who would make up such a story just as a vehicle for his negative thoughts about cycling.
What's it like to be a part of the problem?

Are you fucking serious that if you saw a man writhing in pain and vomiting you would walk on by because you were afraid it was a scam?

REALLY?!

You sir, and I mean this with all offense intended, are a horrible person. You are the face of my lack of faith in people to do the right thing.

I'm not going to, even for a second, pretend that the streets of Chicago are not full of people trying to bilk you out of a couple of bucks but there is a big difference between a guy trying to scam you for bus fare or sell you a used up gift card with a hard luck story and a person in obvious distress; I have seen people passing stones and it not the kind of pain you can fake.

Personally I don't give people much credit; I don't expect people to stop and help anyone because most people are scum but I am disappointed when they do not because having some form of compassion for others should be a part of all our lives.

As far as the legal ramifications of helping someone there are laws that prevent you from being sued for any damages you cause in the act of helping somebody provided you made reasonable efforts and did not act in a malicious manner.

As far as the legal ramifications to those who may injure me with their car; I damn well want them to stop because if I loose a leg I not only want them punished but I believe they should carry the financial burden of my medical expenses and some form of restitution.

Clark, you are a vile person. You preach righteousness all over this board and then you come and say that you would refuse to offer help to a person in need because of the possible ramifications to you? How can you possibly hold the moral high ground on any subject if you refuse to offer event he most basic level of compassion to your fellow man?



Clark said:
Glen (FTF) said:
...I was at a borders reading when a pain hit me in my lower back/side....Within minutes I was "paralyzed" from said pain. All I could manage to do was throw up here and there....It took over 15 Minutes before a man named Joe came and called an ambulance...Peoples lack of heart in these situations is scary...

Unfortunately I probably would have walked by you too. Chicago is full of scam artists...how about those that accost commuters near Union Station asking for $10 to "buy a ticket to get home?" Or the well-meaning good samaritans, who try to move an injured person out of the way, end up doing more damage, and get sued for their troubles?

Sorry Glen, if I get hit by a car, I really have no expectation that the driver will hang around to help me...no matter whose fault it was. At that point, prosecuting the guy would be my last concern! What good would his punishment do me, if my leg was amputated from the accident?
Nice, an internet fight, just in time for my midmorning snack. Thanks guys!



notoriousDUG said:
What's it like to be a part of the problem?
Are you fucking serious that if you saw a man writhing in pain and vomiting you would walk on by because you were afraid it was a scam?
REALLY?!

You sir, and I mean this with all offense intended, are a horrible person. You are the face of my lack of faith in people to do the right thing.

I'm not going to, even for a second, pretend that the streets of Chicago are not full of people trying to bilk you out of a couple of bucks but there is a big difference between a guy trying to scam you for bus fare or sell you a used up gift card with a hard luck story and a person in obvious distress; I have seen people passing stones and it not the kind of pain you can fake.

Personally I don't give people much credit; I don't expect people to stop and help anyone because most people are scum but I am disappointed when they do not because having some form of compassion for others should be a part of all our lives.

As far as the legal ramifications of helping someone there are laws that prevent you from being sued for any damages you cause in the act of helping somebody provided you made reasonable efforts and did not act in a malicious manner.

As far as the legal ramifications to those who may injure me with their car; I damn well want them to stop because if I loose a leg I not only want them punished but I believe they should carry the financial burden of my medical expenses and some form of restitution.

Clark, you are a vile person. You preach righteousness all over this board and then you come and say that you would refuse to offer help to a person in need because of the possible ramifications to you? How can you possibly hold the moral high ground on any subject if you refuse to offer event he most basic level of compassion to your fellow man?



Clark said:
Glen (FTF) said:
...I was at a borders reading when a pain hit me in my lower back/side....Within minutes I was "paralyzed" from said pain. All I could manage to do was throw up here and there....It took over 15 Minutes before a man named Joe came and called an ambulance...Peoples lack of heart in these situations is scary...

Unfortunately I probably would have walked by you too. Chicago is full of scam artists...how about those that accost commuters near Union Station asking for $10 to "buy a ticket to get home?" Or the well-meaning good samaritans, who try to move an injured person out of the way, end up doing more damage, and get sued for their troubles?

Sorry Glen, if I get hit by a car, I really have no expectation that the driver will hang around to help me...no matter whose fault it was. At that point, prosecuting the guy would be my last concern! What good would his punishment do me, if my leg was amputated from the accident?
No offense to anyone that has had a different experience, but I've found people in Chicago are nowhere near as callous in reality as people often think. I broke my arm recently while riding my bicycle on Kingsbury near the Whole Foods in Lincoln Park, and I had three people driving by in cars stop and offer to drive me to the hospital. One woman even stayed with me and my wife to make sure I was alright until the friend we had already called showed up to pick me up. Depends on the situation I guess, but I think people who live in Chicago deserve a little more credit when it comes to human compasion.

Being cynical about what other people are willing to do to help someone in need often ends up to be just a rationalization for the person being cynical to justify not stopping to help others themsleves.
Jesus Christ...

they haven't seen media reports either..
http://www.mybikeadvocate.com/2010/07/tragic-hit-and-run-leaves-chi...
They, is me. I sent messages to some local reporters via twitter about this and nada. Weird. Think I'll send an email to ATA. . .

Audrey Crescenti said:
Jesus Christ...

they haven't seen media reports either..
http://www.mybikeadvocate.com/2010/07/tragic-hit-and-run-leaves-chi...
It is also a link to a blog about a woman hit on a bike by a motorist who did not stop, at all.



BK said:
Just as a reminder, this is a thread asking for information about whether or not a cyclist was injured/killed at Kimball and Lawrence yesterday.
Fixed it for you . . .

notoriousDUG said:
It is also a link to a blog about a possible woman possibly hit on a bike by a possible motorist who did possibly did not stop, at all.



BK said:
Just as a reminder, this is a thread asking for information about whether or not a cyclist was injured/killed at Kimball and Lawrence yesterday.
We haven't seen any news coverage either or been contacted by media about this or received any calls on our Crash Hotline.

Rebecca Resman, our Crash Support staffer, is continuing to research this and reach out to see if we can get any more information.

Will keep you all updated if we get any more information.

Thanks much,
Ethan, with Active Trans

RSS

Groups

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service