The Chainlink

After slamming Critical Mass, I'm thinking of doing the one in September so I can see what it's like to participate. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I can't reconcile all of the inconvenience and disruption caused by CM with its lack of meaning. I appreciate civil disobedience, but only if it's to work toward some goal, which CM doesn't seem to have.

Can you help me understand CM better to help me decide if I should participate? I'm not trolling or being a devil's advocate - and I understand if no one wants to beat this dead horse yet again.

Views: 3218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

h' said:

Would be helpful for people to note whether they've ridden a CCM before or not.  There's a whole different flavor to an opinion based purely on assumptions as compared to one based on at least a little first-hand experience (as observable from the perspective of having ridden... if one had never ridden, the usual falsehoods might not jump out quite so quickly.)

</div>
my experience was primarily when I was a student at UW-Madison in the mid-90s but I did ride one on chicago a few years back. I wasn't craving the camaraderie some enjoy in these, instead I felt like we we're an unnecessary nuisance/impromptu parade. more recently I just encounter the rides as a cyclist not engaged in it and feel both annoyed as well as the object of driver's annoyance if they too have been held up by it

Drivers of cars take over the roads 99% of the time; the least they can do is give us a few hours once a month.

I have ridden in Critical Mass and it's a lot of fun. I highly recommend it.

Cars are an annoyance 24/7 for bicyclists trying to use the common streets.

That's the point for CCM for many who participate.   

Boo hoo.  Get over it as you have to sit in your car for 10 minutes waiting for traffic to clear for CCM.  If you drive in Chicago being stuck in your car for a variety of reasons (It's Monday!) should be second-nature by now.

My issue with the CCM is about politics and persuasion.  If you want to convince people to share the road, and you do so by . . . refusing to share the road with them, that is a tough sell. The confrontational nature of CCM alienates potential allies.  I've always argued that a truly convincing Critical Mass would do the opposite of what it does: instead of massing downtown and then heading out someplace, relying on cops to stop car traffic, pick a destination (downtown or elsewhere) and have everyone ride to that destination along half a dozen chosen routes, sharing the road all the way and obeying all the traffic laws.  Show drivers that cyclists can do that, and you might change some minds.  Cause gridlock, not so much.

James BlackHeron said:

Cars are an annoyance 24/7 for bicyclists trying to use the common streets.

That's the point for CCM for many who participate.   

Boo hoo.  Get over it as you have to sit in your car for 10 minutes waiting for traffic to clear for CCM.  If you drive in Chicago being stuck in your car for a variety of reasons (It's Monday!) should be second-nature by now.

always helpful...

You go and organize that ride Bill.   Nobody is stopping you..

Bill Savage said:

My issue with the CCM is about politics and persuasion.  If you want to convince people to share the road, and you do so by . . . refusing to share the road with them, that is a tough sell. The confrontational nature of CCM alienates potential allies.  I've always argued that a truly convincing Critical Mass would do the opposite of what it does: instead of massing downtown and then heading out someplace, relying on cops to stop car traffic, pick a destination (downtown or elsewhere) and have everyone ride to that destination along half a dozen chosen routes, sharing the road all the way and obeying all the traffic laws.  Show drivers that cyclists can do that, and you might change some minds.  Cause gridlock, not so much.

There is no need to FOWL-up this debate with your well-reasoned opinions

Crafty Cycling Chick said:

I moved to Chicago on New Year's Day 2002 and started riding CCM in July 2002. CCM and its related events are how I met all but two of the people I know and love in Chicago. I learned how to ride all year long, ditched my lifelong Winter Blues, put the skills I learned in a sewing class to use to make balaclavas, gaiters, and scarves for shivering cyclists, and my 20-year love affair with making zines gets to be expressed through The Derailleur. I wonder what my life would look like if I hadn't ditched my car before moving to Chicago...I owe my happiness to CCM and the people I've met because of it. No one's whining is going to change my mind. xowillow

Bill Savage wrote:

My Comment:

There is an interesting parallel with the War in Viet Nam.  The first opposition to the War arose among the "grandmothers".  And then the Student demonstrations started.  The Students didn't follow the societal norms and didn't "look" or "act" like the rest.   So the Grandmothers started supporting the war.  And the end of the war was likely delayed for a number of years.  And the students were "self-gratified".   And that's the problem with Critical Mass.  By massively violating the traffic rules, intentionally picking a peak period to ride, and the like, CM certainly gets visibility.  And the more unusually dressed or outrageously acting get the greatest visibility.  Just like the student "protesters" did in the 1960's.  But it also turns off or makes enemies of a number of people that might well be "supporters" of riding. 

No doubt CM makes the participants feel good.  But it also is impeding the promotion of cycling.  If the "real" point is a "love of biking" as the common thread, then CM should pick another time that is far less disruptive such as a weekend afternoon.   I don't and won't participate because I think that the final result is more important than instant self-gratification.  

Those damn long-haired hippies!

What is the world coming to?

"Can you help me understand CM better to help me decide if I should participate?"

You are over thinking this...maybe it's not for you.

From the Chicago Critical Mass website:

Critical Mass is a bike ride plain and simple. The ride takes place on the Last Friday Of Every Month (in Chicago anyway). A Critical Mass is created when the group of riders comes together for those few hours to take back the streets of our city. The right of the people to assemble is guaranteed in the Constitution, and Critical Mass helps people remember that right. The Mass itself has no political agenda, though, no more than the people of any other community do. Critical Mass is open to all, and it welcomes all riders to join in a celebration of riding bicycles. Why? Because bikes are fun!  

Sure, as with any community, you'll see people of all types. Some people see Critical Mass as a forum for grassroots political change. Some people see it as a protest against cars. Some people just like to ride. The Mass, however, is just that...a bunch of bike riders. You can drive a car the whole month and ride in the Mass. You can be an anarchist and ride in the Mass. The point of the Mass is the Mass, nothing more. Critical Mass has no leadership. It is a ride where no one is in charge. At any time, riders are free to leave, stay, stop, or even help out. Everyone is responsible for themselves and the Mass. Learn how to get involved!  

Once you realize that, you're free to enjoy the exhilaration that is a large bike ride. It's quite a sight to be parading down Michigan Avenue with thousands of fellow riders, wishing pedestrians and drivers a "Happy Friday!"   Chicago Critical Mass is a community, yet it's also part of a worldwide Critical Mass community as a whole.

Critical Mass rides take place all over the world each month, and Chicago is proud to join in to proclaim our love of bicycles. If you love bikes, and you want to show others how you feel about cycling, come join us!

From the Chicago Critical Mass website:

Critical Mass is a bike ride plain and simple. The ride takes place on the Last Friday Of Every Month (in Chicago anyway). A Critical Mass is created when the group of riders comes together for those few hours to take back the streets of our city. The right of the people to assemble is guaranteed in the Constitution, and Critical Mass helps people remember that right.

My Comment:

Yes.  We all understand this point.  Just because someone has the right do to something, doesn't mean that we should do something.  No doubt the Constitution allows a "film maker" to make a bigoted, insulting attack on a religion.   But that doesn't make is a smart thing to do. 

Once you realize that, you're free to enjoy the exhilaration that is a large bike ride. It's quite a sight to be parading down Michigan Avenue with thousands of fellow riders, wishing pedestrians and drivers a "Happy Friday!"  
My comment:
And it is this kind of "self-gratifying" and "smug" statement that hurts the cause of bicycling.   Whether or not it is delivered with the true spirit of community, the "happy friday" is interpreted by a large number of recipients as a "FU, we are going to delay you getting home because we have decided to intentionally screw up traffic because we want to".   If the purpose were not to screw up traffic and make a political statement, than CM would not occur on a Friday at Rush Hour.   Cover it with all of the veneer that you want.  Ultimately the perception is that it is a FU to the drivers.  And all that does is delay real progress. 
Do we want "yield" instead of "stop" at Stop Signs?   You bet.   Do we want advance boxes at stop lights?   Certainly.   But we are NOT going to get those things without developing a better sense of good will.   It is delusional to think that CM is going to bring those about, it is actually going to delay things.  
But hey, if self-gratification and boosting one's ego is more important that actually achieving objectives, go ahead and keep supporting Critical Mass.  Its the best friend of the petroleum industry.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service