The Chainlink

Was fun at this last critical mass in July.  Was the first one I have been to. Did anyone else from the chainlink participate? Here is a pic from the ride.

Anyone else take any good pics from the critical mass in July?

Views: 204

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a ball too. No pics but I'd like to see some too. Any of my yellow trike / sound cycle? Any cool pictures at all?

I have a blog with the latest post showing all the video I made as well as links to other peoples videos that I have found for the July critical mass.

http://osnbiking.blogspot.com/

 

I will be adding to the end of that blog post for another day with more links etc.

I think that is you at the 10:13 minute mark in my 15+ minute video! Yellow shirt?

The 15 minute film does an excellent job of documenting that we had a pretty even split of the mass for the first 15 minutes.  Too bad we couldn't sustain it a little longer.

Does anyone know the route of the group that broke off northbound leading up to the merge on Kinzie? (and maybe who broke it off?)
Tim, was that you expressing surprise when the end of the mass came? Pretty good ability to gauge the size of the mass, considering it was your first one.


Tim said:

I have a blog with the latest post showing all the video I made as well as links to other peoples videos that I have found for the July critical mass.

http://osnbiking.blogspot.com/

 

I will be adding to the end of that blog post for another day with more links etc.

I think it is . . . I show up at 2:46.

Tim said:
I think that is you at the 10:13 minute mark in my 15+ minute video! Yellow shirt?
Being new to the critical mass ride in general, I didn't realize the potential for the riders splitting up and taking different courses like that. It sure was a surprise when I looked over the edge of that bridge and saw all those other riders! At first I had been disappointed when that group I was in was finished riding by in such a short period of time. Daley Plaza had seemed packed to the gills with riders at the start of the ride.
You're the guy with the sound bike! Thanks for always bringing the music.

Ken Gray said:
I had a ball too. No pics but I'd like to see some too. Any of my yellow trike / sound cycle? Any cool pictures at all?

Multiple "heads" from the starting point has happened before, but rarely-- I'd say once every 2-3 years or so. More frequently, something happens to separate the mass mid-stream-- maybe about one ride per year on average. Always fun to come back together-- hearing each mass whoop and cheer when the other is sighted is always a thrill.

Attempts to intentionally orchestrate splits in the past have not been terribly successful-- there's an incredible amount of inertia behind having "one" mass, and most riders will decide that one is the "legitimate one" and do whatever they can to abandon the group they're with if they see another group that they perceive as larger.  On last week's mass, there were some other factors playing a role-- there's a guy in black in your 15 minute vid (with a black helmet) who apparently was using massup (I didn't realize until later) and kept saying we were "on the wrong street" blocks before we hit Kinzie.

Tim said:

Being new to the critical mass ride in general, I didn't realize the potential for the riders splitting up and taking different courses like that. It sure was a surprise when I looked over the edge of that bridge and saw all those other riders! At first I had been disappointed when that group I was in was finished riding by in such a short period of time. Daley Plaza had seemed packed to the gills with riders at the start of the ride.

I was there. Ride seemed a little aggresive this time. Accura MDX running over that kids BMX, had a Buick bump my tire as I "rested" for a bit at an intersection, Red Bronco that complained about being nearly out of gas inching forward into the street as he had to get home were a few of the memorable cars along the way. 

 

Little pissed about the kid with no shirt and cap traveling with 2 young ladies that thought it was cool to take a valet traffic cone on Milwaukee Ave and deposit it on that poor woman's car. Seriously kid take your crap elsewhere.

While there were the more riders, it seemed like it was more spread out this month.  This caused more cars (and 2 buses) to try and get through.  A lot of people got cut off when we came back downtown after turning from one-lane Lake St to 3-lane Wacker Drive.  We got split up at intersections, and some people quit and some, like me, were left to go down the Mag Mile by ourselves.  We finally caught up to a larger group on Clybourn.  The ride needs to be more "Massed Up".
I agree that we needed to mass up more. I liked seeing so many people out there for this. That was a riot! But I don't recall having seen anyone get their bike ran over. Did anyone get a picture of that?

I've noticed that the cops at the front are trying to push the mass head for whatever reasons.  Their stock holler/talking-point seems to be "KEEP IT MOVING" which seems to be applied to any and all situations.

 

KEEP IT MOVING - KEEP IT MOVING - KEEP IT MOVING!

 

It doesn't matter what the issue is.  Seems like they say that to anything -corkers, the head trying to mass up, anything.  

RSS

Groups

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service