The Chainlink

I live 5 miles away from where i work out here in the boonies, and each day now that's it's colder my coworkers say "your crazy to bike when it's so cold out" has anyone else heard these comments and what do you say to them?

Views: 190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My sentiment exactly.
Gin said:
I hate being cold more than anything. That's why I ride my bike all winter.
I just don't see why we have to explain anything, it's really no ones business why we do what we do!! I don't make a comment when someones pants are to short or their hair is a mess. They are who they are and if what or who they are doesn't impose on my world then i hope they are happy!! Isn't that what matters???
In defense to coworkers and others who call us crazy, I do have to say before I started winter riding, I always thought, also, that it would be tremendously uncomfortable. Not just the cold, but also navigating around the snow. Once I started, I was very surprised about how much I enjoy winter riding, especially with temperatures in the high teens and up. Good gear (studded tires, clothing etc) makes of course all the difference.
As I was walking out yesterday all geared up I heard someone say to me, "You're crazy for riding in this weather!" I turned around, noticed who it was and said, "Um....isn't that your bike next to mine?" It was one of 2 co-workers (out of 200) who commute as well. That was much nicer than the co-workers who think I'm absolutely nuts for riding.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
One of my co-workers asked me on Monday if I rode. When I told her 'yes', she called me a knucklehead. :)

Strange - it's cold outside, yet I'm wiping off sweat when changing into my work clothes.
As I was walking out yesterday all geared up I heard someone say to me, "You're crazy for riding in this weather!" I turned around, noticed who it was and said, "Um....isn't that your bike next to mine?" It was one of 2 co-workers (out of 200) who commute as well. Someone has a dry sense of humor!

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
One of my co-workers asked me on Monday if I rode. When I told her 'yes', she called me a knucklehead. :)

Strange - it's cold outside, yet I'm wiping off sweat when changing into my work clothes.

Kinda related, but not... I got a comment as I feebly attempted to ride down an icy alley way. I tried it the day before and did pretty well, so I figured, I should try again. I was so busy worrying about falling that my body really got hot. Anyway, I heard a highschooler yell to me, "Five bucks says you fall down."

I didn't fall. I just put my feet down. But, not before I gave it a good ol' college try. I wouldn't recommend this unless you've got great balance and are ready to accept that you will very likely lose a bet to a highschool kid.

I like to ask them why they are shivering when they walk into the building and I am unzipping my coat because I am so warm.

Or I might remind them that I am crazy all the time so why should winter be any different.

Most importantly....did you get your 5 bucks?

Holly said:

Kinda related, but not... I got a comment as I feebly attempted to ride down an icy alley way. I tried it the day before and did pretty well, so I figured, I should try again. I was so busy worrying about falling that my body really got hot. Anyway, I heard a highschooler yell to me, "Five bucks says you fall down."

I didn't fall. I just put my feet down. But, not before I gave it a good ol' college try. I wouldn't recommend this unless you've got great balance and are ready to accept that you will very likely lose a bet to a highschool kid.

Jeez, you put yourself under a lot of pressure.

I count the awkward bike straddle-walk as successful navigation :-)

But then again I've been seriously injured before, and I deal with wrist fractures half the day, so I may be more acutely aware of the risk-vs.benefit factor than most.

Holly said:

So yeah, this will be my first official Bike Winter. I have been known to ride during winter in the past, but only sporadically. This year I will give it a legitimate effort. Now, I won't say that I am going to do the 12 miles each way to work, but for errands, going out and getting around the city, I am riding.

Today I stopped by my local McD's, and the girl behind the counter was so amazed that I was riding. She asked me a few questions about it and before I knew it I was giving a mini clinic to a small audience of employees and customers! I managed to persuade the one girl to try to ride the mile or so to work a couple of times, hopefully she will give it a try. 

Go Bike Winter!

Hell no. I wasn't going back down that ice alley!

I was much better at it on the Schwinn the day before because the tires seem crazy grippy (go, Schwinn Puff High Pressure Road Racers!) and the bike weighs a whole lots. Plus--step through frame=easier to put my feet down.

Really, though. I was lucky. Saw a few people slip sliding tonight on my ride home (in somone's car) from Red Moon. It looked pretty daunting.

A.K.A Paul said:

Most importantly....did you get your 5 bucks?

Holly said:

Awesome!  On both counts. 

Vando said:

So yeah, this will be my first official Bike Winter.

Today I stopped by my local McD's, and the girl behind the counter was so amazed that I was riding. She asked me a few questions about it and before I knew it I was giving a mini clinic to a small audience of employees and customers! I managed to persuade the one girl to try to ride the mile or so to work a couple of times, hopefully she will give it a try. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service