The Chainlink

I preset to you a rough transcription of a lovely conversation I had
this morning with a chapping gentleman in Old Town.

<I pull up next to his Mercedes in my bike because he is blocking the
bike lane. I initially just was going to give him a dirty look and ride off, but he rolls down his window, so I decide to talk to him.>

Me: Excuse me, you're parked in a bike lane, would you mind moving your car?

Him: Fuck off.

Me: Hey man, I'm just asking nicely. You're parked illegally.

Him: Is it legal for you guys to run red lights?

Me: That's irrelevant, you're still illegally parked.

Him: I'm not parked, I'm stopped. My flashers are on.

Me: That's the same thing.

Him: Fuck off.

Me: Have a nice day!

Honestly, I totally expected this behavior and am in no way complaining about this. I actually was quite amused and it made my morning. I just wanted to share it with my fellow Chainlinkers.

Views: 3707

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Personally, I become enraged every time Adam's avatar smiles "that smile" at me.

Let's close the forum for a few days so we can all cool off!

John W. said:

Please close discussion.  This is just making people angry for no reason.

What would you tell him?

Adam Herstein said:

Anyone can just make up a fake conversation. If I was the cyclist in that position, I certainly wouldn't tell the driver to "fuck off".

Duppie said:

Driver: Excuse me, you just blew a stop sign, would you mind not doing that again?

Bicyclist: Fuck off.

Driver: Hey man, I'm just asking nicely. You blew a stop sign.

Bicyclist: Is it legal for you guys to par in the bike lane?

Driver: That's irrelevant, you still blew a stop sign.

Bicyclist: I'm not "blowing" the stop sign, I'm just rolling thru it. I was paying attention.

Driver : That's the same thing.

Driver: Have a nice day

I would apologize and move on with my day.

Duppie said:

What would you tell him?

Adam Herstein said:

Anyone can just make up a fake conversation. If I was the cyclist in that position, I certainly wouldn't tell the driver to "fuck off".

Duppie said:

Driver: Excuse me, you just blew a stop sign, would you mind not doing that again?

Bicyclist: I'm not "blowing" the stop sign, I'm just rolling thru it. I was paying attention.

If this is not a joke you are an asshole.

Paul Gnarlo said:

Adam,

My go to method when cars block bike lanes is to smack off cars side mirrors and sell them at the swap-o-rama.

This method works for me/the biker community/the economy two-fold:

1.  The cars may or may not learn their lesson and now they have to buy a new mirror.

2.  I take proceeds from selling these mirrors at the swap-o-rama to buy "used" bikes at the swap-o-rama.

And you never will and expecting to is only going to make you unhappy.

People are a-holes accept it and live accordingly.

Adam Herstein said:

I try to be courteous as well, but I feel like I don't receive the same amount that I am putting in.

It's really quite easy.

I owe you and Kevin a beer next time I see you for voicing everything I want to say, but much nicer.

Craig S. said:

Wow, I just wasted 5 minutes of my life on this thread.

Good on ya, but I have to ask the question of what y'all did in the days of yore before all these precious bike lanes were installed?

I rode my bike on the streets and I still do, whether there are bike lanes or not.  The sanctity of the bike lane is a myth and if you can't handle riding around your obstacle, do me a favor and get off the streets, I'm finding there are too many idiots on two wheels in this city anymore.

I also agree with Mr. Conway's sentiments; just because I use 2 wheels for the majority of my city transportation needs, doesn't make me any part of a "community", especially a community that incessantly whines in a completely self-absorbed and entitled way about an obstacle in the bike lane.

Wow, do I feel better after this rant, just like a morning d__p!  Time for a cocktail!

I don't think there is any harm to ME -but I know there are others out there who might feel differently.   Some people feel that provoking these drivers only makes them take it out on the next bicyclist.   While I'm sure that such a thing can happen if a cyclist is a real jerk (safety-slapping cars, kicking off mirrors, getting screaming in-your-face at someone and scaring the crap out of them, for instance) I don't think what you said in this story, in a calm & polite manner, is going to push anyone off the edge who isn't already over it before you came upon them.  

Jerks are gonna jerk.

I just think it isn't going to do any real good.   If someone at this late time in the second decade of the 21st century really doesn't understand what a bike lane is, or why they shouldn't be parking in it, they probably need to be put in a home and have their license taken away (much less not let outside unsupervised.)  They know damn well what they are doing and I really doubt (personally -that's my opinion) that anything that can be said to them is going to do any good.   i sometimes try doing what you did myself and I'm always sorry I bothered.   It never helps and always ends up with a "fuck off" -There just is no point from where I'm standing in trying.  But then again I'm a bitter old man...

Adam Herstein said:

It's not that I do this to every single car that I see parked in the bike lane. I was completely calm the entire time, and it made me feel better to point him out, so what's the harm in that?

James BlackHeron said:

I don't so much as take umbrage a Adam's actions but feel that

1. it's not going to do any good -these entitled folks already have zero respect for bicyclists and their infrastructure and telling them anything is impossible.
  2. It will just raise your own blood pressure and waste your own time.  And afteerwards may leave you feeling angered and frustrated which may compromise your own safety on the road afterwards for a period of time.
  3. May lead to a confrontational situation with someone in possession of a 2000lb+ weapon.
  4. Isn't all that hard to drive around in the end.

But if Adam really wants to be the Goddamned Batman then by all means have at it.  I don't know about anyone else bu I'm just razzing him a little bit -but in the end I feel it is Goddamned Right to speak up to the car driver if he wants to and feels the Goddamned need to do so.  It may not be a good idea but everyone has the Goddamned Right to follow bad ideas.  It's the Goddamned American Waytm

I think the point of that particular post may have past over your head...

Adam Herstein said:

Duppie said:

I am starting to think that "Adam Herstein" is yet another avatar of Eric Vann. We have seen the grump ("O"), the crazy genius ("James More"), and now we have the self-righteous but naive newcomer ("Adam Herstein")

Chapeau, Eric Vann! You did it again.

Adam Herstein said:

I would apologize and move on with my day.

Duppie said:

What would you tell him?

Adam Herstein said:

Duppie said:

I appreciate your shared story. I put myself in a similar situation by talking to a women in a mercedes who almost hit me. To make a long story short she yelled at me, "I hope you die."

But, on the other hand this did bring up a debate I've had with my friend on running red lights. I do it all the time because I'm tired and don't want to lose momentum, yadda yadda yadda, but he brought up how it stirs agitation in drivers who have to stop. So he doesn't to not fuel the driver/biker battle.

Thanks Duppie
I was just going to write a very similar reply.

Duppie said:

Bicyclist: Is it legal for you guys to park in the bike lane?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service