The Chainlink

Take a look at Chicago's original bike map from 1898:

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/maps/chi1890/G4104-C6E63-1898-A2.html

Views: 170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i have a friend who's a cartographer, ill ask her about it.
Can you save the map as a file? I only see the print function. Right-clicking to save as didn't work, but I'm not the most computer-savvy person on the planet.
What you want to do is talk to the Regenstein's map librarian about getting a copy of the original scan.

You're not going to get much of use out of the web version, and in any case, as you've discovered, part of the point of that Flash app is to obfuscate.

h3 said:
You have to dig around your browser's pulldowns to find an option to save the embedded media.
It saves as an .swf ("Flash" animation) but not sure what to do with it after that.

Erin said:
Can you save the map as a file? I only see the print function. Right-clicking to save as didn't work, but I'm not the most computer-savvy person on the planet.
mmm..... i second that

h3 said:
Oh jesus, that's beautiful.
Super-cool seeing the old rail lines and station names.
Any idea how one go about getting a 'clean' poster-sized print? Anyone reading have a plotter?
Would be happy to compensate fairly . . .
i third.
H3, i delivery for a document service that specializes in things of this nature. send me a pm and we'll talk about it
h3 said:
Spoke to someone at UofC library.
They're willing to send a file if you send them a blank CD, however there are some restrictions on use:
-for personal or scholarly use only
-source must be acknowledged.
Also, to whoever e-mailed them about this-- might be a good idea to provide a way for them to respond to you . . .

h3 said:
The printer I contacted confirmed they can't work with the flash applet.
An architect friend is going to give it a try; will try to track down that TIFF file when I have time, although if someone else is willing to do the footwork it would be appreciated.

Kristian M Zoerhoff said:
h3 said:
Oh jesus, that's beautiful.
Super-cool seeing the old rail lines and station names.
Any idea how one go about getting a 'clean' poster-sized print? Anyone reading have a plotter?
Would be happy to compensate fairly . . .

From looking around elsewhere on that site, it looks like the maps were scanned in as TIFFs, so perhaps an email to the right person there could procure the original for printing purposes. The flash applet looks like it'd be a mess to print from, at least at full resolution.

I work right across from the Regenstein, so if you give me the contact info I can probably arrange to pick swing by with a blank cd or flash drive and get the tiff. If you're at critical mass, I can probably hand it to you there. I'm also interested in getting a nice print of the map also.

Kristian M Zoerhoff said:
It's just weird to see roads that are now US-20, Rand, or Algonquin Rd listed as good cycling roads. Imagine if that were the case today!

Back then, "good cycling road" pretty much meant "paved."
And for MARK.... It looks like Rand Road is a "good cyclng road" :)
actually the map says "new bicycle map" supposing that there is an older version?
I would say that as long as you are not reproducing for profit you are OK.

h3 said:
A little update. I receive the file in the mail today, a 300+ MB TIFF.
As you can imagine from the file size, the detail is phenomenal.
I will explore printing options; the instructions I received prior were that the file is to be for "personal or scholarly use." Trying to figure out how to share while staying true to the terms I agreed to.
I'm buying dinner.....

h3 said:
A little update. I receive the file in the mail today, a 300+ MB TIFF.
As you can imagine from the file size, the detail is phenomenal.
I will explore printing options; the instructions I received prior were that the file is to be for "personal or scholarly use." Trying to figure out how to share while staying true to the terms I agreed to.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service