The Chainlink

I'm looking to find a vintage road bike. This will be my first road bike ever. I usually ride BMX bikes but those aren't ideal for commuting to school and what not. I've been checking craigslist frequently but I haven't really found anything I would consider buying. Are there any bike shops in Chicago that have a good selection of vintage road bikes. I would love to go and check them out if anyone knows of any. It would really help me out. 

Views: 3525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Samuel D, the tighter the budget the more imperative you get the fit correct right out of the gate.   Happy hunting!  Do share your new ride here, some of us are stuck on vintage steel.

↓+1↓

James BlackHeron said:

Just make sure whatever you buy fits you.  Fit is everything.

I will share whatever it is that I end up getting

It's too bad that this frame might be a tad bit too big for you and it's a bit over your budget -but this looks like a really nice road bike.

58cm Sekai 2700 - $275 (Plano)

Date: 2012-03-23, 7:33AM CDT
Reply to: 5ps4b-2900412948@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Sekai 2700 in excellent condition. Bike has been completely stripped down and rebuilt from the ground up. New tires and presta tubes, new brake pads, new barwrap, new cables and housings. Bottom bracket and headset have been taken apart, cleaned and regreased, Crankset is a Sugino Mighty Tour with a forged spider and has been taken apart and cleaned. Brake levers and hoods have been replaced with a vintage NOS set. Wheels have been trued vertically and laterally. Suntour Vx derailleurs have been cleaned and adjusted. Freewheel has been removed and cleaned. Hubs have been taken apart, cleaned and regreased. Frame tubing is Tange Champion. Saddle is a suede San Marco. I believe this bike was built in about 1979 or 1980. Just needs a good home.

Another good deal but no size or picture.

I think you might need to up your budget a little bit as decent bikes tend to run a little bit more around here -especially as spring wears on prices are only going to go up as people get into the bike-buying mood.   Supply and Demand.

I'm tempted to buy this one myself.

Miyata Bike One Ten - $195 (kimball and Irvingpark)

Date: 2012-03-23, 8:43PM CDT
Reply to: z8shn-2913204332@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Miyata Bike for sale is a good condition bike in 58cm $ 195 o best offer if interested call at (773)749-1587 

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
image 0 image 1
image 2 image 3

I think I could probably go up to $200 but thats about it. I have school fees I have to pay off so I can't really up my budget at the moment. Unless I win the lottery :D.  

That Miyata is a REALLY nice bike and a really good deal.  If that were at working bikes they'd most probably sell it for more like $300 or more.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/2916845773.html

what do you think about that one? Its missing the front brake though which kinda disturbs me

That Fuji was a lower end bike -heavier, cheaper frame, with stem shifters.  Plus, you really want to have a front brake.  It's idiotic to ride with just a rear brake -the front does the majority of the stopping.  I don't know what the heck someone was thinking of taking it off. 

Look for downtube shifters on lugs (not just a clamp) which is the sign of a nicer bike.  Better bikes don't generally have stem shifters as those were generally aimed at the cheap market while the downtube shifters were aimed at more of an enthusiast market.  Also look for bikes without the turkey-leg extra lever on the brake -that's another sign of a bike aimed at the mass-market and not a high-end bike aimed at enthusiasts.

Finally notice how the rear derailleur is mounted not on an integral frame lug off of the drop-out but instead attached to an add-on "claw" that goes over the rear axle -or at least that is what it looks like as it is hard to see in the picture.  That's another sign of a lower-end bike.

These things are not always 100% but they are things to look for to differentiate between a higher-end bike and a lower-end bike.

You can also look up the bike on a website like bikeforums.net and see what people have been saying about that make & model over the years.  You don't even need to ask, every bike imaginable has been talked about and you just need to do a google search and find the stuff on bikeforums where people are discussing the pros and cons.

Thanks I will definitely use that bike forum on bikes that I find. 

Fuji looks to have steel rims and crankset.  you def want to find a bike with aluminum rims and in most cases cranks as well.  if your not sure bring a magnet, it wont stick to aluminum.  

that miyata above looks surprisingly nice.  i thought 110s were entry level for miyata

Hmm I haven't seen the lotus, I'll check it right now

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service