The Chainlink

Hi there, I saw mention of this on a thread, but would like elaboration...

My neighbor and I were talking about all the bike thefts this summer, and he asked me if it was possible to register one's bike BEFORE it gets stolen.   

I saw that the Chicago Police Dept. has a registry.  Has anyone registered?  How does it work?   Most importantly, is there a benefit to it - or not?

Thanks!

Views: 356

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, precisely because I'm well informed, and because I like being well informed, I'd like to know what happens with the information once you send it off into the ether, particularly whether anyone is able to access it again and who and under what circumstances. I have never ever heard of anyone being contacted by the Chicago* police out of the blue to come pick up their recovered bicycle.

*stories abound for other municipalities though . . .

I will register later tonight just to see what happens (do you get anything you can print? if you do this could be very valuable)
Are you counting the time it would take you to get the serial number off your bike?
Add at least 2 more minutes :-)

Kevin Conway said:
Saw your post. Went to the link and created a new user name and password. Logged into the online bike registration page. Didn't register my bike, because I already have. Took me two and a half minutes. I stand corrected.

spacemodular said:
I tried to use it - there log in didn't work. Not exactly 2 minutes either...

Kevin Conway said:
You can register online here. If a stolen or abandoned bike is recovered by the police, they will check it against the registry. If it's registered, they'll contact the owner. If it's not, it goes to the warehouse for the quarterly auctions. Registration is painless. Everyone should take the 2 minutes it takes.
So, Nick . . . while we're on the subject . . . what would it take to get bike shops to record the serial number on service receipts as a service to the customer? Do any do this already? In the situations I've been involved in, such a receipt would be taken as proof of ownership.
As I was thinking more about this issue, I was also thinking along the same lines as Joe: At the very least the Police Dept. Registry provides a place for people to store serial numbers, bike info, etc. And, unlike other registries, this one is free (so far).

Joe Studer said:
I'm at a real loss to understand why someone would not register. Especially someone as well informed and involved as you are, Howard.

Anyone that has read this thread has lost more time than it would take to use the online registration tool. Even if the site was a complete waste of time, you've only lost 2 minutes. But if there is even the slightest chance that it works, then you've potentially gained your bike back. At a minimum, should your bike get stolen and assuming you've registered your bike, the site will have some of the information you will need to fill out an insurance report (e.g., serial number, make and model, etc.).

Please explain to me what the downside is.

H3N3 said:
I'm with Amy. I'd like to see some "insider" info that thereactually is some sort of functional system in place. Anyone here know anyone who works for CPD?
Yes, you get something you can print.

H3N3 said:
Well, precisely because I'm well informed, and because I like being well informed, I'd like to know what happens with the information once you send it off into the ether, particularly whether anyone is able to access it again and who and under what circumstances. I have never ever heard of anyone being contacted by the Chicago* police out of the blue to come pick up their recovered bicycle.

*stories abound for other municipalities though . . .

I will register later tonight just to see what happens (do you get anything you can print? if you do this could be very valuable)
I think this would be a great idea. (My bike shop did that for me).

I also notice that when I've asked neighbors if they know where their serial numbers are located, they often don't know, and they often don't know how important that serial # is until it's too late. A little "educational outreach" would be great as well. People really appreciate it! I know I did!

H3N3 said:
So, Nick . . . while we're on the subject . . . what would it take to get bike shops to record the serial number on service receipts as a service to the customer? Do any do this already? In the situations I've been involved in, such a receipt would be taken as proof of ownership.
OK, a wee bit of educational outreach here. The serial number of your bicycle is most likely located on the bottom of your bottom bracket shell. If it isn't there, it may be on the base of the headtube or on the rear dropout on the non-drive side (usually). You are looking for the series of letters/numbers stamped into the metal. Numbers printed on, say, the headbadge of a 1980's Schwinn are a date code. Now, once you have located the serial number for each of your bicycles, keep a registry of these either on paper in a safe location or in a computer file that you back-up in various places and on different devices. It won't hurt to list with each recorded serial number identifying characteristics of your bikes, like components, wheelsets, tires, saddles, etc. These may come in handy if your bike is ever stolen.
Having your own little list is not going to be of much use if you're in a situation where the police are on the line to help you recover your bike. They pretty consistently ask for a "receipt" with a serial number.
If you don't have one with a serial number, you're basically taking your chances and crossing your fingers and toes with anything else you present as evidence of ownership that the cop assisting you will be in a good mood.

Moc Artsy said:
OK, a wee bit of educational outreach here. The serial number of your bicycle is most likely located on the bottom of your bottom bracket shell. If it isn't there, it may be on the base of the headtube or on the rear dropout on the non-drive side (usually). You are looking for the series of letters/numbers stamped into the metal. Numbers printed on, say, the headbadge of a 1980's Schwinn are a date code. Now, once you have located the serial number for each of your bicycles, keep a registry of these either on paper in a safe location or in a computer file that you back-up in various places and on different devices. It won't hurt to list with each recorded serial number identifying characteristics of your bikes, like components, wheelsets, tires, saddles, etc. These may come in handy if your bike is ever stolen.
Took me ten, including a mock registration (would take me another 20 to get the serial numbers off my bikes but I'm going to do so now).
Fortunately it allows you to input anything you like in fields that are "required"-- it would take me half an hour to find the phone number of the shop I bought one bike at, as it's been out of business for years.
It would take me half an hour to find the guy's contact info I bought another bike from several years ago, and I'm sure I don't have a last name for him.
There's not really anything printable here, except the main page with a one-line listing?

Kevin Conway said:
Saw your post. Went to the link and created a new user name and password. Logged into the online bike registration page. Didn't register my bike, because I already have. Took me two and a half minutes. I stand corrected.

spacemodular said:

Kevin Conway said:
You can register online here. If a stolen or abandoned bike is recovered by the police, they will check it against the registry. If it's registered, they'll contact the owner. If it's not, it goes to the warehouse for the quarterly auctions. Registration is painless. Everyone should take the 2 minutes it takes.
It looks like this...
The people who have my permission to call me at home know who they are...

H3N3 said:
Took me ten, including a mock registration (would take me another 20 to get the serial numbers off my bikes but I'm going to do so now).
Fortunately it allows you to input anything you like in fields that are "required"-- it would take me half an hour to find the phone number of the shop I bought one bike at, as it's been out of business for years.
It would take me half an hour to find the guy's contact info I bought another bike from several years ago, and I'm sure I don't have a last name for him.
There's not really anything printable here, except the main page with a one-line listing?

Kevin Conway said:

spacemodular said:

Kevin Conway said:
It looks like this...
The people who have my permission to call me at home know who they are...

I keep the printout with my receipt and other documents about the bike. And incidentally, as of 12/1/08, Turin printed the Serial Number on the receipt.

H3N3 said:
Fortunately it allows you to input anything you like in fields that are "required"-- it would take me half an hour to find the phone number of the shop I bought one bike at, as it's been out of business for years. It would take me half an hour to find the guy's contact info I bought another bike from several years ago, and I'm sure I don't have a last name for him. There's not really anything printable here, except the main page with a one-line listing?

Kevin Conway said:

spacemodular said:

Kevin Conway said:
Attachments:
Registering my bike with the CPD was one of the first things I did when I got my new bike, along with the National Bike Registry and my own cataloging in terms of writing down stuff and taking photos.

It can't hurt. And you can do it online. So what's the point in not doing it?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service