The Chainlink

I thought this was rather interesting. What might this mean for our city? I moved here form Minneapolis three years ago. A year before my move, Minneapolis had passed legislation allowing Conceal and Carry permits for registered hand gun owners. Some argue that similar laws decrease crime while others say it will increase. Local Minneapolis business owners reacted very thoughtfully by not allowing guns in their establishments sending a strong message of non-support for the bill. I would imagine that a similar reaction will occur here if a similar bill passes. 

The original Chicago Gun Ban is being challenged because of the Second Amendment, however, a different type of regulation will surely replace the city wide ban. Most likely a bill similar to one in Minneapolis. 

I am not a gun owner, nor do I wish to be at this time. If I were to own a gun I would keep it at a gun range in a gun locker. I would support a bill that allowed registered owners to carry a gun but only if it did not include a conceal clause. I feel that if you really feel the need to carry a gun you should have to advertise the fact openly. I feel that this would have a deeper impact on crime out of the possible options for a similar bill. I would prefer that guns did not exist and I feel strongly that Police should not carry guns either. Just curious about what others think and feel about this topic. 

Here is an article in the New York Times:

Views: 428

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Duh, gang member are all related! lolol
I actually heard my stat allegedly from Jody via NPR.

There are so many issues on this topic that as good as we are here, we will not solve it. Dry those tears, we cannot possibly fix everything . . . not even Iggy and his new crime fighting bike!
I'll bet this kid's parents placed a heavy value on education.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27399337/

Michael Perz said:
Well, one thing to keep in mind is that the people that constitute the so-called "gun culture" in this country place a very heavy emphasis on education in regards to proper handling and use of firearms. The first and foremost commandment is, quite simply, "Never point a firearm unless you intend to pull the trigger." There is a Zen Koan-like quality to that rule which I'm certain that most people versed in firearms don't fail to appreciate.
I'm not sure what you intended to prove with this. Tragic and horribly shameful, yes, but I don't see it as a wholesale indictment.

H3N3 said:

Michael Perz said:
Well, one thing to keep in mind is that the people that constitute the so-called "gun culture" in this country place a very heavy emphasis on education in regards to proper handling and use of firearms. The first and foremost commandment is, quite simply, "Never point a firearm unless you intend to pull the trigger." There is a Zen Koan-like quality to that rule which I'm certain that most people versed in firearms don't fail to appreciate.
If you did intend it as such, it would be as disingenuous as me posting this and posing an almost identical question.
Are you asking me to provide many more examples of presumably "educated" gun proponents who fall victim to their own guns? The internet is vast.

Michael Perz said:
I'm not sure what you intended to prove with this. Tragic and horribly shameful, yes, but I don't see it as a wholesale indictment.

H3N3 said:

Michael Perz said:
That's a bit of irony considering it took less than thirty seconds for me to find an example only two hours old.

By the way, I'm not trying to be antagonistic toward you. I just feel that your example is quite a stretch from being an accurate example of gun owners. Those people were idiots and I would never defend their actions, but I fail to find the distinction between that and the plethora of other ways in which an eight year old can meet a demise due to recklessness on the part of adults.

H3N3 said:
Are you asking me to provide many more examples of presumably "educated" gun proponents who fall victim to their own guns? The internet is vast.

Michael Perz said:

H3N3 said:

Michael Perz said:
I also want to make clear right now that I see absolutely everything wrong in allowing an eight year old handle a firearm for the exact same reasons I don't want to see them behind the wheel of a car or making a purchase at a liquor store.
There is nothing wrong with teaching an 8 year old proper firearm etiquette, however letting your kid fire a fully automatic sub machine gun is another matter. I started learning proper gun etiquette when I was 5 with a single shot .22 and I aint dead yet!

Michael Perz said:
I also want to make clear right now that I see absolutely everything wrong in allowing an eight year old handle a firearm for the exact same reasons I don't want to see them behind the wheel of a car or making a purchase at a liquor store.
I think I was 8. I couldn't be happier that this ridiculous handgun ban was finally struck down. Criminals will always find firearms, no matter how many bans there are. Why should I, as a law abiding citizen, be made a criminal just because I want firearms for home defense?

Chuck a Muck said:
There is nothing wrong with teaching an 8 year old proper firearm etiquette, however letting your kid fire a fully automatic sub machine gun is another matter. I started learning proper gun etiquette when I was 5 with a single shot .22 and I aint dead yet!

Michael Perz said:

M-4 FUN!
Dangit, I'm envious and I see a clay target hand thrower. You weren't trying to shoot trap with that pop gun were you?

Chuck a Muck said:

M-4 FUN!
Hell no! That was with my 12 gage shotgun from the earlier pict!

Craig S. said:
Dangit, I'm envious and I see a clay target hand thrower. You weren't trying to shoot trap with that pop gun were you?

Chuck a Muck said:

M-4 FUN!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service