The Chainlink

Car Free Options for the 2014 Grand Illinois Trails and Parks Bike Tour (GITAP)

Happy Friday, fellow Chainlinkers!

As much as I love promoting winter cycling, I started doing some summer vacation planning last week. So if any of you want to accompany a multi-family biking caravan to Miller Beach, IN next August, let me know. (part of 2013 posse pictured right)

For an earlier, longer, and more adult bicycle trip, mark your calendars for June 15th-20th for the 12th Annual GITAP, which is organized by the League of Illinois Bicyclists. LIB is making a special effort to reach out to folks who don't have cars but would like to participate in this 260-500 mile tour of northwestern, Illinois.*

If there is sufficient interest, LIB can arrange to transport your bike, gear (and you) to Oregon, IL, where the ride begins. It is about 110 miles from downtown Chicago. There is also a sneaky Metra option that gets you within 50 miles. I don't want to repeat all the details that are in our announcement, which you can see here. But I will share some personal notes.

Fifteen years ago, I confess to thinking Illinois beyond the metro area was mostly flat, with great rural roads, and lots of corn. Since then, I have done loads of bicycle touring and discovered gorgeous rivers, canyons, bluffs, and state parks. Those of you who have done some iteration of the "Starved Rock" rides know what I am talking about. (photo to right is circa 2005 when my bicycle and I somehow ended up in the I & M canal. I am sure such things do not happen on GITAP)

As someone without a car, I find getting out of Chicago is the hardest part about launching a bike trip. Thankfully we now have the Metra assist, and Amtrak has expanded bike service (see LIB's full of Amtrak>>bike touring travel guide) but those options aren't always ideal. (photo to right is circa 2008? when Miguel was two and we used Amtrak for the Starved Rock assist.)

If you are on the fence about GITAP due to transportation logistics, please let me know and we will do our best to help you out.

Best,

Gin

*GITAP 2014 is a six-day, supported ride along quiet roads and trails in the scenic northwestern corner of Illinois. Experience bike touring with daily short (~50 miles) or long (80-100 miles) route options and camping in or near small towns (and brew pubs). Also provided are luggage transport, catered breakfasts and dinners, mechanical and SAG vehicle support, and more. With registration capped at 225 people, it is a cozy alternative to large scale rides...and, it is in our own back yard.

Views: 320

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

oof--sorry for the bad formatting. Gotta grab the tandem and pick up my son. Do wish the sidewalks and roads were in better shape for him to ride to school, like usual. :(

2 things you should know about GITAP

1. it is fantastic - I've done two and really enjoyed both.  It's a perfect sized group - big enough that you'll find someone great to ride with, small enough that you don't take over a town.

2. it fills quickly.  So if you're thinking about it, sign up soon.

I'll be doing my cycling in Europe this year, but i know I'll make it back to GITAP sometime...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service