The Chainlink

It's getting to that time of year again. That time when you need to bust out the softshell or something similar to ward off the chill, especially on those upcoming subzero days. I ride pretty fast, or at least fast enough to sweat a fair amount on both my ride to and from work. I struggled all last year trying to find some layering combo that wouldn't have me arriving to work feeling like I'd been marinating in my own juices for the last 11 miles.

I'll spare you all the permutations of my layering attempts and the garments (mostly failures), that I purchased last year. So what's your favorite cycling-specific garment that allows you to stay warm and yet is also highly breathable. I've been leaning towards softshell jackets, but the Nashbar brand one I bought last year for about $60 just doesn't cut it - the thing needs to be hung inside out for a few hours to dry before I can put it back on.

I guess choices don't have to be cycling specific if you know of a non-cycling softshell or similar jacket that is able to stand up to heavy sweating and keeping you warm at the same time. It'd be totally awesome too if any of you were able to suggest something that would cost less than $100. Oh yeah, and please don't say, "ride slower". I'm already taking between 40 and 50 minutes to get to work on the super-windy LFP, so the less time I spend out there when it's booger-freezin' cold, the better, which means riding fast, or at least about 14 mph average, which is fast for me, riding a 40+ pound touring bike.

Views: 1830

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The wind chill is the issue I am having, it could be 45 and sunny, but the wind through a midlayer gets cold!  So a wool sweater really does nothing for me personally.  A rain jacket with good venting or a more expensive windbreaker with "breathability" works.  I haven't rec'd it yet, but I ordered a Patagonia Nine Trails jacket which i'm hoping will be the ticket.  Merino baselayer, sweater/fleece midlayer, and windbreaker type shell is hopefully all I'll need this winter, and shed the Midlayer if I get warm, or the shell if there is zero wind.

The Nine trails is on sale everywhere at the moment, I got mine for %55 off

http://www.6pm.com/patagonia-nine-trails-jacket-deep-space

You can find dif colors elsewhere for a few more $$

I swear by my Milwaukee Jacket from SWRVE. I know it is a bit above your stated price range, but occasionally they go on sale. I bought one a while back for $75.  I think I would pay full price to replace it though given my experience with it.

http://swrve.myshopify.com/products/milwaukee-jacket

Light windproof shell unzipped as needed over a short/long sleeve tshirt over a silk or merino wool base layer.  They'll keep you warm and dry quickly and they don't get stinky when you do sweat.  

I wear two long sleeve thin, polyester-type workout shirts (no cotton) with a light windbreaker over.  That works well down to about 30 degrees.  I will then add a fleece layer (under the windbreaker) and remove one of the shirt layers as it gets below 30 and add back the second shirt layer when it gets below 20.  If you aren't cold the first mile - you are overdressed.

That looks like it's a softshell. I'd probably sweat buckets in that jacket.

Stephen said:

I swear by my Milwaukee Jacket from SWRVE. I know it is a bit above your stated price range, but occasionally they go on sale. I bought one a while back for $75.  I think I would pay full price to replace it though given my experience with it.

http://swrve.myshopify.com/products/milwaukee-jacket

I wear shorts up until about 35 degrees.  When it is above 50 I wear a short sleeve t-shirt/wicking shirt and no jacket.  Below 50 to about 30 I wear the short sleeve t-shirt with a windbreaker.  

The trick for me is not bringing out the softshell until it is really cold.  I put a thermal baselayer on instead of the t-shirt with the windbreaker below 30 until about 20.  Below 20 is dependent on wind and moisture.  Sometimes I wear the thermal with a gore tex rain coat. 

When I do wear the softshell, I usually wear it with just a t-shirt until we get close to zero.  Otherwise I cook as well.  Below zero it is snow pants, thermal, softshell, balaclava.  I also don't wear anything under my helmet until it is near 20 or I sweat so much.  Ear warmers do the trick.  I guess it is all about trial and error and personal tolerance.  

I hit up thrift stores all year for wicking shirts.  They can be had for a buck or two all the time, especially old running race shirts.  

For reference, my commute is 7 miles each way and takes me about 30-35 minutes.

If you are like me, take the beanie off until you really need it.  Or just get a really thin silk or wicking style hat instead.  When I wear a thin fleece beanie I am soaked when I get to work.  It makes a huge difference.

I have a cheep merino base layer I got at Target a few years ago and its the best thing ever.  I can wear it for weeks without it stinking.   My standard winter getup is Merino base + shirt(s) + windbreaker.  

+1 on the Merino base layer. I do a merino base layer, then put thin wool sweaters over it. I top it off with a down sweater in the super cold weather and a thin windbreaker/rain jacket with pit zips on top if necessary. The last element goes on/off once or twice during my 9 mile commute depending on wind/rain/snow.  The down sweater was pricey (nau.com) but I LOVE that thing. It's basically a super lightweight down jacket. Patagonia makes a fancy one made of synthetic that would dry faster if it got wet.

I believe one of the keys is breathability + venting. If your clothes are breathable (like wool) and you can adjust the venting to release moisture/excess heat, you can basically adjust the thermostat of your "riding cocoon."  But if your base layers aren't breathable and/or you cannot open pit zips then you run the chance of retaining too much heat/moisture in the "envelope" of your "riding cocoon."  I also find that being able to unzip my top layer from the bottom-up is really helpful as it allows me to let cooler air in from the bottom, then it goes up and out the pit zips or back of jacket, carrying warmer/moister air with it.  

Good luck and keep sharing your experiences. I'm always looking for suggestions. My struggle is handwear. I can never fins gloves that balance thinness with warmth but aren't too warm. 

Just got a flyer from Grainger which made me wonder whether anyone had tried a Tyvek overall as a shell. about $42 for a 6-pack. Might be too sealed, but a few holes in strategic places...

I know that if I were commuting in winter on the LFP, I would want something capable of keeping that hawk wind out.

For the current weather conditions (dry and 63 degrees or colder) I would suggest a wind vest.  Something like this one from Pactimo.  Wearing thin layers in combination with a wind vest can help you regulate your core temperature by allowing the air to flow through your sleeves and pull away the excess heat by convection.  If you are dressing too warmly when you start, it is important to remove layers before you get to the "dew" point.  

If you value your knees you should protect them from the cold starting at anything less than 65 degrees.

soft shells / do-everything jackets suck. they make me overheat, sweaty, and stinky. and when you get hot and want to take it off, they are rarely packable.

I much prefer thin, minimal layers. first layer: wool baselayer. skin-tight. second: wool jersey. third: packable wind breaker jacket or vest.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service