The Chainlink

I still can do the freeway thing but I'm blind to stop signs.

I noticed myself having to make a conscious effort to look for them that and I can't tell how much 3 feet is inside a vehicle.

You bikers come out of nowhere sometimes! I was almost more concerned about you while driving  than I am riding in traffic.

Views: 622

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A family get together.

h' said:

What's in Niles?

Anne Alt said:

Today I spent too much time in the car (as a passenger) on the way to Niles and back.  I was seriously envying the folks who were riding and not stuck in that miserable traffic.  Made me appreciate every day that I'm NOT in a car.

I have found the opposite to be true, feel like I am a better driver on the odd occasion I do burn dinosaurs.

Found the bicycle riding has helped in tack/cross situations on the boat too. Constantly monitoring bus, cab, SOV's intersecting with you all the time on the road makes the closing distance of a converging yacht easier to guage.

I have to fight the urge to Idaho Stop sometimes at abandoned intersections sitting at the red in my automobile wasting fuel, idling & waiting for the light to change.

But I agree with Tim that being a rider has made me a better and more cooperative driver with regards to those non-motorized vehicles I'm sharing the road with.    I'm certainly VERY careful about the door zone when parking on the street and exiting the vehicle.  I notice that some riders are more aware of me as I am scoping out an opening to exit than others, as well as positioning themselves better in the bike lane/sharrow area.

Tim S said:

I have found the opposite to be true, feel like I am a better driver on the odd occasion I do burn dinosaurs.

Found the bicycle riding has helped in tack/cross situations on the boat too. Constantly monitoring bus, cab, SOV's intersecting with you all the time on the road makes the closing distance of a converging yacht easier to guage.

I am more aware of bikes and people, but it's been 8 years ( in May) without and any driving I did before was an I55 to lake shore and one block to my apt. It's just a few days a week for work and I still ride to work but interesting.

+1

James BlackHeron said:

I have to fight the urge to Idaho Stop sometimes at abandoned intersections sitting at the red in my automobile wasting fuel, idling & waiting for the light to change.

But I agree with Tim that being a rider has made me a better and more cooperative driver with regards to those non-motorized vehicles I'm sharing the road with.    I'm certainly VERY careful about the door zone when parking on the street and exiting the vehicle.  I notice that some riders are more aware of me as I am scoping out an opening to exit than others, as well as positioning themselves better in the bike lane/sharrow area.

I think I'm more watchful now that I'm a regular cyclist. I'm certainly NOT blind to stop signs, even on my bike! It's one thing to roll through them when there's nobody there, another to risk your life over losing momentum. I also think it's not a great idea to piss off other drivers. If they reach the intersection first, I always let them go unless they wave me through -- and then I wave thanks.

"I hate to slow down"

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service