The Chainlink

So I fear admitting this, but I am in a biker's slump. While last year I couldn't wait to jump on my bikes and go for quick or long rides, these last few weeks I've found myself rationalizing the metra and cabs over biking. 

I tried getting new gear for my bike, but it didn't break the slump.

I cleaned my bike (which only resulted in grease stains everywhere.)

I miss my chainlink events, but the thought of dealing with potholes and drivers prove a massive hurdle.

Any tips on how to break this slump & restart my love for cycling in the city? 

Views: 1508

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ed that's awesome! And the only biker slump i know is when a marauder is slumped over there bike at 3 am :-)
the problem to so many solutions...

Cameron Puetz said:
The solution to so many of life's problems.

notoriousDUG said:
Booze.

A day like today was definitely a much needed thing. Perhaps going for a casual, long ride this weekend might help?  Maybe try a different bike?

Katie, anytime you want a ride with a girl friend in the hood, I'm 5 blocks from you.  I pass you guys every day actually.

riding behind other cute cyclists in spandex ? 

or short skirts (can we resurrect that thread maybe (as Martin said once "I am drawn to short skirts

like a fly to (fill in the blank)....").

Heck - tell Aaron he is slacking !!!

seriously - don't fight it. it will pass. it always does. maybe a parking ticket, gasoline prices hitting $5.00 a gallon or the CTA ride from hell will vault you back onto the saddle. you never know.

DB

I get this a lot. Sometimes I just want to be lazy and not ride...especially on those cold days.

But EVERYTIME it get on my bike and start all that goes away. I'm at peace, and it feels great to just have that time to relax and enjoy..even when its 2 degrees.

Just get on the bike...the rest will follow.

The past few weeks have been somehow harder to motivate than all of winter combined.  Even though I think it was hovering in the upper 30s yesterday, I could not do it. I was just feeling so freaking cold. I'm down to 3-4 days a week for the last 3 weeks. If I do 3+ days, I notice that I feel less grumpy and tired.

I like to eat what I want to eat and I tend to eat better foods when I'm bicycling, so that gives me some impetus. Money saved on transport can go to eating good things. Sometimes, I sit and look at bike blogs and that seems to motivate me a little. It sure helps when it's sunny, too!

You'll be back at it soon enough, I'm sure. Plan a little outing with a friend or something. That might help.

I cleaned one up last night and can't wait to get out there... going to play hooky for the second half of the day today and go for a ride!
I would say, ride the Lake Front Trail and bring your camera, or another trail.  Today is a great day to take a second to stop and enjoy the surroundings.  Bring some food and have a picnic.

My solution to when I find myself similarly slumped is: ride a bike.

Get out today.  Now.  Just got in from a quick 20 mi on the Lake Front Path and I feel like a new man.
It is so nice out there today! And, it's still quite sunny and bright at 4:23 pm!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service